You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: PM Spamming @ MYGNR!?

Olorin wrote:

Your here to give me an english lesson?? I know what the word means and I stand by my original usage of it. You actually think I used the word incorrectly or by random chance?
Did you look up "fannybaws"? Thats another appropriate usage of language befitting the situation.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Obfuscation is one of my favorite words ever.

AtariLegend wrote:

^^

I like "Gn'R" and it has nothing to with how other people perceive me. 

Unfortunately, I'm obviously not intelligent enough to explain to you why, though...

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

On topic, I'm a member of a dj forum called SkratchLounge and I got a pm today from "mignulikz", the admin said this:

"I manually approve all registrations in the lounge so that bots and other potentially hooky posters shouldn't make it through to the lounge. One did and you all got a mass PM from this idiot. The bot is now dead.

What is has highlighted is that 400 registered users have dead emails, and that people who have stayed away for literally years are back this morning to pick up their PM. Perhaps a few of them might stay around and contribute as well.

Again, apologies. "

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

The intials for PM spamming are PMS. Seems perfect for Madison and MyGNR.

AtariLegend wrote:

I'm not going let this lie, either as a member here or anywhere else.

I think this is ridiculous, "Olorin" and "war" basically ditched almost everyone who has ever posted on a "Gn'R" forum. Most of the people with accounts here; basically come under the term brain dead posters by their criteria.

I want an explanation as to why this place is so elitist and why people discussing song lyrics is dumb.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I want an explanation as to why this place is so elitist and why people discussing song lyrics is dumb.

What makes you think this place is elitist? Because the majority of our members hate reading 100 page threads where 90 pages are simply "I agree" posts? Because people hate being told what to think, and any dissenting opinion erased? The fact people prefer some intelligent banter over mindless bickering?

If thats the definition of an elitist, then go ahead and label me an elitist.

We've had song lyrics threads here. Use the search function.

Having just read this thread, I'd like for the forum admin bashing to stop. I'm all for speaking your mind, but there's really no point in bashing admins of other sites. If some disgruntled members here went to one of those sites bashing me, I would hope Jarmo, Madison,etc. would put a stop to it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

One other thing regarding this apparent "elitism"....

This community is quite unique. Is it the largest? No, and I don't give a shit. Neither do the other members of this community. People who are active here feel like they a part of the community. They know that they themselves ARE the community. Every single person here is a vital piece of the Evolution puzzle. The lines between lurker, active member, and staff is so blurred that a new user reading the site wouldn't even be able to distinguish who is who and what their actual role is. There is no totem pole of importance/value here.

On other GNR communities, you're basically a disposable cog in their machine. Here at GNR Evolution, YOU are the machine.

Notice how on all other sites there's always people wanting to be moderators, yet on this site that has NEVER happened? Its because the members here know they don't need some status symbol to let them know they are vital to the community.

AtariLegend wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

What makes you think this place is elitist? Because the majority of our members hate reading 100 page threads where 90 pages are simply "I agree" posts?

The majority of the members here post in these threads on other sites. I'm not going to start name dropping posters here, but your ditching various members of this forum by advocating this whole; members of other forums being "brain dead".

As for agreeing, this is a site where the most active posters, who I'm also not going to name drop, aren't even prepared to read an interview, before they start calling it weak and pointless.

I'd also like to point out certain members; contributions amount to "I'm not really interested" or "I don't really care" in every fucking thread. I really want to hear your thoughts on this one.

...And typing out a thousand word+ post, does not instantly make your opinion more valid.

James Lofton wrote:

We've had song lyrics threads here. Use the search function.

Tell that to the people my post was directed too.

James Lofton wrote:

Its because the members here know they don't need some status symbol to let them know they are vital to the community.

Karma or as it used to be called Reputation.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

AtariLegend i think some of the posters were clearly wrong to imply that EVERY user of the other sites is a sycophant, or idiot or anything else. Clearly in any community, there will be variation in the tone, level and quality of discussion achieved.

Myself when looking for a community I hope to find some balance.

Some places are too negative for my tastes. Such as when people comment on you-tube vids and stuff. It's frustrating for a person who enjoys the new music to have to wade through 100 posts of "Axl's a fuckhead" to get to some discussion about a song etc

However in their attempt to solve that problem, and I suspect to win favour with the band or those close to the band, some sites are moderating discussion to a point where the posts are too political. Examples of this in my opinion are:

- Users being sanctioned for simply refering to an exmember of the band, even if the comment was not in a way that insulted current members.

- Posts from users, encouraged by administration, that actively insult former members of the band and promote hatred of anything but the current line up. It's fine if some people feel that way. But promoting hatred is uncool. There are many fans who respect the contributions of every person ever to have been in GNR, but such people are not welcomed.

- Presenting a distored historical view of events to further the above politics. (For example in 2007 shows were peformed in Australia under the name 'Chinese Democracy World Tour',  latter Jarmo decided he wanted the tour refered to under a different name as some were implying that the set list should have been stronger in CD songs. He then told me that the tour was never called that and argued the point. I was posting at the time holding my ticket with those words in my hands!. Things like this upset me. I love CD, and I loved the 2007 tour. I had no complaints. But I think the band is great enough that if they did something slightly unusal like call a tour after an unrelased (at the time) album then we can accept it happened and still love the band. There is no need to manipulate history over it.)

Myself I like to read both sides of everything. Sometimes I find this place strangely negative...like i'm pumped about the possibility of a new tour with the new line up - and I said in that thread I find it strange that I'm nearly alone on it!! But likewise...some people don't like what GNR does, or don't enjoy aspects of it, sometimes I don't like something as well, and I welcome their opinions too,  just as I welcome someone who supports the new line up like you.

So i dont think its right to insult the other boards, their users or admins, but I also feel it's worth mentioning that this place is trying to achieve something a bit more special than those places, and create a truthful, balanced, and inclusive discussion. Myself I find it successful on that front for the most part.

Board footer