You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: Brain in Modern Drummer (May 2009)

war wrote:

i agree that it is comparing apples and oranges but i disagree that promotion won't help gnr succeed moving forward. i think axl can do what ozzy did. the difference being that axl kept the gnr name. any problems that has cost him are already apparent. he needs to rebuild his credibility. music, combined with promotion, has the power to change peoples' minds.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Help?  Yes.  Save?  No.

war

war wrote:

i think we all have different expectations for gnr and a different idea of what success is. if gnr reformed and put out cd on nov. 23 i don't think they would have met the expectations that some of us built. cd was one of the better selling albums of '08 and it was in one one store for a little over a month. i choose to look at it that way.

right now buzz is right about album 2. if it comes, it will sell less than cd but if gnr gets it's act together, makes a successful tour, puts out a re-release with a killer single and/or sorry, MAINTAINS A LINE-UP, cd will have a sales spike due to the best buy deal concluding and cd 2 would have a good chance to do well if the material is good enough. the "melting pot" theme, however, will not work for album 2.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

I don't mind people liking this GnR.  I did at one time, but I now understand how you could like the band even if it isn't what it once was.  I even get that some people prefer CD to AFD/UYI.  I love Libertad, but very few others seem to.  That's OK too.  It's all about what you enjoy.  That isn't what my posts are about.

To the general public, GnR is 80s/90s GnR.  That is pretty much undeniable.  As long as this band goes by that name, it will never be accepted.  Never.  It doesn't matter how much promotion they do or if they can keep the lineup together.  GnR is Axl and Slash.  I didn't make it that way, I'm just telling it like it is.  No amount of anything is going to change the general public's mind on that.

So it's ok to love CD, the new band, and everything that goes along with that.  My "expectations" for this band is for it to fail, which is more or less exactly what happened, however, the public's expectations are for it to be GnR if it's going to go by the name.  That is really where the disconnect is...

war

war wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don't mind people liking this GnR.  I did at one time, but I now understand how you could like the band even if it isn't what it once was.  I even get that some people prefer CD to AFD/UYI.  I love Libertad, but very few others seem to.  That's OK too.  It's all about what you enjoy.  That isn't what my posts are about.

To the general public, GnR is 80s/90s GnR.  That is pretty much undeniable.  As long as this band goes by that name, it will never be accepted.  Never.  It doesn't matter how much promotion they do or if they can keep the lineup together.  GnR is Axl and Slash.  I didn't make it that way, I'm just telling it like it is.  No amount of anything is going to change the general public's mind on that.

So it's ok to love CD, the new band, and everything that goes along with that.  My "expectations" for this band is for it to fail, which is more or less exactly what happened, however, the public's expectations are for it to be GnR if it's going to go by the name.  That is really where the disconnect is...

i'm telling it how it is too, buzz.
from my point of view, same as you.

gnr is mostly a nostalgia act just like ac/dc.

the difference being that ac/dc is the same old band and put out the same old record and so the same millions of people that bought razor's edge went out and bought the new album.

gnr, on the other hand, lost a few old timers due to the politics of the band name and line-up change, etc.

to axl's credit he put out an album that isn't the "same old" product. the benefit of that and the new band is, if they can continue to make decent music, they can create a new following to add to what's left of us old folks.

most people that weren't around when axl swam with the dolphins, don't care about the politics of gnr.

they need to, like i said, get their act in gear though if they're gonna have any chance. a lot of this now hinges on what dj is capable of as well. gnr is not nin. nin can succeed with elementary level guitar work. gnr falters with anything less than great guitar work. most of gnr's fate now relies on the line-up in place. we'll see what they can do or cannot do soon enough.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

a lot of this now hinges on what dj is capable of as well.

From a general public perception point of view, and what they expect GNR to be, DJ Ashba is their best hope. Couldn't have been a better replacement. Robin is great, but I'm still very unsure of just what he could write.

DJ has proven to be one of the best rock composers the past years. If anyone can do this, it's him.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
war wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

i'm telling it how it is too, buzz.
from my point of view, same as you.

You're telling it like you wish it was.  I'm telling it how it is.  Don't believe me?  Ask some people that don't hang out at GnR boards about GnR.  Not just your circle of friends, I'm talking about the general public.  I didn't make this stuff up, nor do I wish it to be this way, but it is what it is.  Shit, if you think ace guitar work is important and BH wasn't enough to save GnR, nobody is going to.  People are always reaching for that last hope...first it was BBF, now DJ.  There is no last hope.  It's over.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

It's over.

What is over exactly?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Over for many = GN'R being on the same level as a Metallica in terms of the music industry, like they were back in the early 90's.

GN'R at best at this point will become a NIN. That is just how the chips have fallen. Anybody that was expecting GN'R to come back and rule the world were setting their own selves up for a disappointment.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Fine with me. I don't need GNR to rule the world. In fact, I don't need, or want, any of my favorite artists to rule the world.

Why do you need them to? Does it give you some sort of validation that everybody and their mother also likes the same band you do? I'm fine with underground acts, has-beens and never-wases.

That's why I dig Buckethead, Paradise Lost, Pelican, Savatage, Dream Theater, etc. Ruling the world just fucks things up. Look at GNR of the 90s.

Board footer