You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Angel Down Released Today

WOW, I didn't expect that, I totally thought it would do better.

Even tho Axl was a definite coo on the album, it's not GNR.   CD has waaay to much curiosity factor alone.

If you think about it, combine all of the members on each GNR forum, it's waay more then 6400 people so it's definitely going to sell more then that, also I think GNR would definitely be in the top 100.   Unfortunately even tho Axl was on the record, Baz is a tough sell considering he is always being accused of being a has been by alot of people.

GNR I think and no disrespect to BAZ and his band, they are in a different league.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah, the fact it wasn't available in all stores was a factor, but not a huge one. The album is available online. No one was interested, not even in Axl.

Maybe he should release a single really quick before next week when it drops off the charts completely. The album has nowhere to go but down, but another single might give it a few more thousand sales.

I have said for a long time that CD might not even debut in the top 10 when its released. There has been a steady decrease in interest over the years in this project. Now we know that the use of Axl in constant and daily promotion does not sell an album.

Axl is gonna have to hope the GNR name still has enough clout to put CD high on the charts.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

I agree DTJ that GNR would do much better but I just don't know if they would get as big as debut as we all hope or as they would have if the album were released say back in 2004 or even 2006 as "promised".  I'm thinking it may not see a debut that high on the top 40 (perhaps somewhere in the low 20's or high teens) whereas before it (in my opinion) would have been a top ten or higher debut.  Maybe someday we will find out...maybe.

I think that Axl wasn't enough to carry this album.    Most people aren't going to buy a Bach album if they are just interested in Axl, when you can download the 3 songs off the internet.   That's the reality of downloading, can't really get a true sense of how many people just have the 3 songs that Axl was on, opposed to the entire album.

If the songs were not available to download, I wonder if it could have done better on the Axl factor alone.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

This is what I was afraid of.  I predicted the album wouldn't sell and I was right.  Since Axl was basically used as the sole promotion for the album, it will be interesting to see what (if any) effect this has.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

I agree DTJ that GNR would do much better but I just don't know if they would get as big as debut as we all hope or as they would have if the album were released say back in 2004 or even 2006 as "promised".  I'm thinking it may not see a debut that high on the top 40 (perhaps somewhere in the low 20's or high teens) whereas before it (in my opinion) would have been a top ten or higher debut.  Maybe someday we will find out...maybe.

I don't wanna start a GN'R vs. VR debate, but CD will be doing much much better than Libertad. The curiosity alone will sell a lot of albums, and the GN'R name is still very strong. The 2006 tour wasn't a big success, but it showed that there are still significant interest in GN'R, even without a new album. CD will debut in the Top 10, no doubt. This Baz disaster doesn't mean too much: he hyped the album a lot, used Axl's name to promote it, but hey, most GN'R fans just downloaded the 3 songs and that's all. My only fear that Axl gets scared that his name din't sell Baz's record. He shouldn't, though, cause the GN'R name is much stronger, and one Axl doesn't make Baz relevant. Nobody should have expected that.

Edit: BTW I like Baz, and feel sorry for him. He deserves more, he's an amazing singer.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

This Baz disaster doesn't mean too much: he hyped the album a lot, used Axl's name to promote it, but hey, most GN'R fans just downloaded the 3 songs and that's all. My only fear that Axl gets scared that his name din't sell Baz's record. [/i]

I think you and DTJ are correct about GNR fans just downloading the three songs.  It would have been very interesting to see the difference in sales had the three songs with Axl not been available as independant downloads. 

You hit on something else I've been thinking about Mikkamakka and that is how will this effect Axl?  He has been (at least seemingly) very reluctant to release Chinese Democracy and I believe it is because his name is so much at risk on this project at this point.  A mediocre selling cd would be a huge slap to his ego.  Baz's record not selling well could be another "reason" to delay CD in his mind.  On the flip side if Axl was to find the three songs he sang on were downloaded heavily, this may give him a boost.  I would really like to see the number of downloads for these three songs vs the album as a whole.

Gunslinger wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

This Baz disaster doesn't mean too much: he hyped the album a lot, used Axl's name to promote it, but hey, most GN'R fans just downloaded the 3 songs and that's all. My only fear that Axl gets scared that his name din't sell Baz's record. [/i]

I think you and DTJ are correct about GNR fans just downloading the three songs.  It would have been very interesting to see the difference in sales had the three songs with Axl not been available as independant downloads. 

You hit on something else I've been thinking about Mikkamakka and that is how will this effect Axl?  He has been (at least seemingly) very reluctant to release Chinese Democracy and I believe it is because his name is so much at risk on this project at this point.  A mediocre selling cd would be a huge slap to his ego.  Baz's record not selling well could be another "reason" to delay CD in his mind.  On the flip side if Axl was to find the three songs he sang on were downloaded heavily, this may give him a boost.  I would really like to see the number of downloads for these three songs vs the album as a whole.

God, I hope this isn't going to be a hit to his ego.  I mean if anyone knows about all the downloading, it's Axl and I would think he would expect that from his fans.   From his own mouth at the first Hammerstein show, "Downloading Mutherfuckers".   I would love to see the numbers of that as well, it's just something we'll never know. 

On the boards he has received nothing but positive comments so I hope he listens to that, rather then the sales.

Acekicken
 Rep: 12 

Acekicken wrote:

There have also been stores under stocked
as has been reported & the Record company is working to correct that,but of course it had an effect on sales.

The songs are great & even though Sebastian is a public star this is very much a new band,I believe as the word gets out there this CD will rise to the top...

I think a video will bring up the sales.

It is a great CD..........
100% METAL......................

I wonder how many people just downloaded it,to have
3 out of 14 songs?

Acekicken
 Rep: 12 

Acekicken wrote:

Well of course it's going to touch his ego a bit.
Slave to the grind was the first Heavy Metal CD to debut at #1
& his goal is get back to the top. Im sure things will change & the CD
will pick up in sales as the stores are stocked. Over all he has been receiving
Rave reviews in fact the only negative ones have really been towards Axl by the media & towards Sebastian by Guns n Roses fans with the exception of few it bums me out  to say that  but it's true & Im not speaking of this message board in general but of allof them I have visited... And since I have read  just about every review out there Im not just blowing smoke.

Even Blabbermouth posters have been given
the CD a great response & that is normally un heard off. 22

Board footer