You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Scraped Introduction Poll

Axlin16 wrote:

I think i'll wait until Scraped is performed live... then we'll see.

Freddie had an amazing ability to pull off his vocal gymnastics in a live setting, whereas alot of Axl's range on the Scraped intro, is enhanced by various studio takes, pieced together and layed over each other, to give it the depth and multi-facet it has.

If he can pull it off live... i'll tip my hat to him.

Other songs with various vocals from him, have been pitchy and inconsistent over the years.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

yeah when he pulls this song off live (which i have no doubts that he can) then i will forever be in awe

the immediate vocal shift in scraped is mindblowing IMO...yeah thats right i said mind blowing....hell i'll even throw in an earth shattering for good measure wink

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Hopefully. Who knows, Scraped might be one of those songs that's better live than studio.

There's a few of them from the old catalog that I can think of that live is better. Move To The City, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, and Nightrain immediately come to mind.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The problem is, Axl doesn't have the vocal range to pull off that kind of Freddie Mercury sound.

Are you serious? Axl's vocal range is incredible, he can go from very low to scarily high. Those high vocals in twat are amazing.

Axl's vocal range is incredible...  depending on the night. 

How often did he not hit the notes toward the beginning of The Blues?  When he hit's it, it rules, but I've heard far more boots that make me cringe during that part than where he nails it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Well of course the intro is going to be impossible live, it's axl singing 3 or 4 part harmony with himself, unless he brings some other Axl's with him he's only ever going to be able to sing one of the parts at a time big_smile

I think live it would have to just have a huge scream intro ala jungle or the old intro to SCOM on the illusion tour....

While it's obviously going to have to be different than the studio version in places, I have no doubts axl could make this track rock live.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I appreciate the love for Axl's voice, but let's be honest... he's one of the most inconsistent singers in history.

But Monk, you pretty much proved my point. We can't sit back and praise Axl's voice on a STUDIO song, that has been tweaked 50 times over, with 3 or 4 different tracks done in DIFFERENT takes, then go and give him credit for his 'range'.

If someone gave me a studio, and money to burn, I could hit different octaves too, and lay them over each other. But I wouldn't expect anyone to tell me I have range.

Axl won't be able to pull it off live imo, and the structure of Scraped overall, leads me to believe it'll be song that'll never be performed live, but we'll see.

The unique thing about a Freddie Mercury, is that he could pull off the range live, which is rare. Sometimes he did MORE vocal gymnastics live, than in the studio.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

If anyone, Freddie Mercury or whoever, could pull off what Axl does in the intro to "Scraped" in a live setting I'd be shocked, amazed, in awe, etc.

Ain't happening.  As monkey said, Axl's singing 4 or 5 different parts there.  You find me ONE guy who can sing 5 different parts at the same time.  Needless discussion.

I never thought I'd actually hear people question Axl's range but it has happened.  Mark this one on your calendar.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Nay

The intro isn't good, and the song is of a lesser quality than the rest of the album. Scraped and Riad are the Get In The Ring & Shotgun Blues of CD.

Hey i'll take shotgun blues over "So Fine" anyday....

Most people would disagree with you. So Fine is a far superior song than either Ring or Shotgun.

No way, Shotgun kicks So Fine's ass! hahaha

Thing is for me, even the worst songs on on the Illusion albums are all saved by Slash's great guitar playing and solos. Slash nailed every solo on every track!

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

As for the Scraped vocal intro, not a fan.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
faldor wrote:

If anyone, Freddie Mercury or whoever, could pull off what Axl does in the intro to "Scraped" in a live setting I'd be shocked, amazed, in awe, etc.

Ain't happening.  As monkey said, Axl's singing 4 or 5 different parts there.  You find me ONE guy who can sing 5 different parts at the same time.  Needless discussion.

I never thought I'd actually hear people question Axl's range but it has happened.  Mark this one on your calendar.

His range has been questioned, because someone actually think's layering studio vocals over each other, counts as range.

That's bound to spark a debate.

Board footer