You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Please Play TWAT more when a tour happens

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
russtcb wrote:

But in "failure" I mean it like this; no one I know in my personal life but 3 (I think) people, bought the album. Everyone else I know, which between work and social is quite a bit, either didn't buy it or didn't even bother downloading it.

No radio stations play CD songs, no matter how much threads get started claiming otherwise. No one talks or cares about Guns N' Roses or at least Chinese Democracy outside of these boards. Bands with a successful product aren't in that situation.

Yeah I agree on that. Although for me it's also kinda a feature of a number of bands I'm into. Like i really like Buckcherry and similar stuff and its rare as hell that I meet anyone in real life who also follows them.

I know what you mean though, as much as we don't need others to also like something to make it good, if it had have taken off to a larger extent with the general public, the demand would create more stuff for us to enjoy. I remember back in the UYI days when GNR stuff was everywhere...interviews...news....it was pretty cool.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I love the album and I personally view it as a complete and total failure.

Enough said.  You don't have to like that I'm right MisterID, but you should at least accept it.

Sky Dog wrote:

no...ID, you should not....to each his own Buzz. Your arrogance is quite a bit oppressive at this point and while you may have your minions on this board, your opinion to me still reeks of overall bitterness and disdain for the breakup of the old band. You, admittedly so on multiple occasions, have talked about how much the 87-93 band meant to you. It meant alot to me as well, but I find your constant degradation of the album to be way too heavy handed and personal to actually take the majority of your posts as any thing more than another semi intelligent blogger/internet geek. Your OPINION is still just that when it comes to judging the quality of the album and when it comes to YOUR definition of success. The masses don't always have it right my friend. 19

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

My position is this:

Musically: Successful. Love it.

Sales A : Compared to normal band successful, came in at #14 worldwide, enough to continue the band.

Sales B: Compared to GNR historical level of world domination  - very very poor.

Marketing: very poor. I think the music was good enough to attract some new fans, but the implimentation of this record was SO badly handled. The delays. The silence. The lack of promo. No interviews. No tour. Not playing the media games that can attract attention to the work.

Production: Some issues. Problems with the vinyl versions. Cd booklet bad. etc. Cover art not to everyone's taste. Mixing issues.

Very well done. I absolutely agree.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

no...ID, you should not....to each his own Buzz. Your arrogance is quite a bit oppressive at this point and while you may have your minions on this board, your opinion to me still reeks of overall bitterness and disdain for the breakup of the old band. You, admittedly so on multiple occasions, have talked about how much the 87-93 band meant to you. It meant alot to me as well, but I find your constant degradation of the album to be way too heavy handed and personal to actually take the majority of your posts as any thing more than another semi intelligent blogger/internet geek. Your OPINION is still just that when it comes to judging the quality of the album and when it comes to YOUR definition of success. The masses don't always have it right my friend. 19

The masses have it beyond right here.  And I'm not comparing Guns N' Roses to anything other than Guns N' Roses.  The album is a failure in every way other than it paid off Axl's debt.  Congrats Axl - you killed your band for the allmighty dollar.  Who's the sellout now?

This has nothing to do with my love of the old band.  TWAT is in my top 5 of GnR songs and is possible #1 - in fact, get Finck off of it and it probably is #1, so don't tell me I'm biased.  It is what it is, and I am captain obvious.  I apologize if that doesn't fit your agenda, but it doesn't change what it is.  You think this album is getting toasted here...the little bit of talk that goes on at non GnR sites that I've seen has been far more damning than ANYTHING I've said.

The album is terrible.  The songs aren't good, the mixing is terrible, the production sucks, the booklet sucks, it sold the majority of it's copies in the first week then dropped off the face of the earth, both singles flopped, no tour was done, no promotion was done, there's another new guitarist...I can keep going if you'd like.  Your optimisim, while refreshing, is foolish.  A crack whore wouldn't even be fucked up enough to try to defend this album as any sort of a success.

So you can call me biased if you'd like.  That doen't make it true.  I call it for what it is.  Russ loves the album, yet sees things much like I do on every other point.  Is he biased?

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I agree with some of what you say and disagree with other stuff.

"The album is terrible. The songs aren't good" - Nonsense. You happen to love what I consider one of the weakest songs on the album, but different strokes for different folks. You have an opinion and so do I.

The issues with the mixing are opinion as well. I listened to an interview with Tony Iommi the other day and he was talking about the conflicts during the mixing stage. One guy wants the drums louder, the other guy wants his bass louder, the other guy thinks the bass is loud enough but wants the guitars louder...whatever. It still boils down to one persons opinion over the other.

The album wouldnt have plummeted if there had been videos, a tour, proper constructive interviews promoting the band and the music. But none of that was there, just the same wall of silence. Big suprise that an album from a group of anonymous middle aged guys didnt stay in the charts for long. Its an accomplishment on its own that such a half baked, faceless and incompetent album release managed to sell millions. It hardly takes a genious to say that the release was a fuck up, it was brutally clear to anyone with half an interest.

The last few albums I bought wont have sold more than a few thousand copies worldwide, but they arent failures. As long as your music finds an apprieciative audience somewhere then thats what it should be all about.

David Gilmour has sold more albums in his life time than most can dream about. Is his solo career a failure because he doesnt have the albums sales he had in his youth and in his prime? His last album only sold roughly 1 million copies worldwide. What a failure, he better get down on his hands and knees at the feet of Waters, if he has any aspirations of ever being taken seriously again.

I thought you were trying to be humorous, in a pantomine villain kind of way, with your strutting and boasting that you represent "the truth" and have been right about everything all along.
Only now I'm I realizing that you were being serious 14
I dunno what's funnier.

Rock on Tommy 22

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Olorin, apparently you missed one of Buzz's previous posts.  He told us it's pointless to argue with him because he is always right.  14

Just thought I'd give you a heads up.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Sadly, the reality isn't very funny.  You can go on believing whatever you want to believe.  Let me know when you put the crack pipe down and accept reality.  No video, no promotion, no anything could have saved this flop.  The product just isn't that good even if you like it.

As for your Gilmour comment, there's a lot of truth to that.  I'm glad you are starting to figure it out.  Nobody is interested in his solo efforts (though I'm not interested in his non-solo efforts either).  There are a lot of similarities there to the GnR situation.  Keep looking into that and you'll see the light.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

So David Gimour's solo career is just a flop?

Board footer