You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: If the Skwerl

Neemo wrote:

if the world is too boring for rock radio, bank on it

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

Lets just face it, this thing is dead as a dodo
Just see what other music comes along, and hope it gets some interest (from axl and co I mean). Fans are doing the work, and being made a laughing stock of

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

If anyone wants to know why this album tanked commercially, look at the last 2-3 pages of this thread.

Every fuckin' body disagrees on what should've been singles, and what's good.

There's the problem in a nutshell RIGHT THERE. They knew this.

CD & Better were their best shots in hindsight, they knew, and they bombed. Simple as that. TWAT is the best track on the album, but is just too long as is Prostitute, Sorry is too mellow, Madagascar is too 90's, Street of Dreams & This I Love are too sappy, IRS, Scraped & Riad are considered mediocre by the fans, If The World & Shackler's Revenge were DOA when they leaked, etc.

The only wild card I see here is Catcher In The Rye, and it might be too dated. Too Queen. Too 70's.

If this is Axl's album, great. But if they want hits, i'm telling you, they are going to have to Nickleback this fucker up, and basically just do radio ready songs with Axl on vocals.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

^
hence enter DJ Ashba

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I really hope that's the case D at this point. I really think it's the only future for them, and DJ provides that.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I dont wanna sound all counter-culture...but it depends how radio ready. Like if they can make songs that are 3-4 min kickass rockers that Axl has the same intergrity and emotional passion towards then i welcome it....but I don't wanna see some luke-warm album of the guys just trying to make the shit that mainstream radio tells them to make if their hearts are not in it.

One of the things I really admire about chinese is that yuo can feel the honesty in those songs. Like every word feels like it comes from a real emotion or experience of Axl. And that's also true of the old albums - which were more radio friendly - like jungle and songs like that - but i'm just saying...i'm happy if DJ brings some great songs, and if his structures are more conventional (as bucket's tracks were awesome but pretty zainy and unfriendly for radio) - but only if it comes from that same authentic place that all the current works do.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Meh.  GN'Rs recorded for 15 years, lets have some more of that at some point please.
I would only want to see some commercial success, ie a radio hit, just to encourage them to release that other album.
Excluding cover versions, Use Your Illusion were not exactly brimming with radio hits, thank god.
Back In The Fucking UK and Sailing, played at at Wembley showed that they are capable of throwing simple catchy stuff together, if they want to.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah....a studio version of that sailing.....drool....it might be a cover but Axl owned it....

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

from Skwerl's twitter:

when i get back from walking the dog, antiquiet is going to do something we haven't done since 6/18/08. wink

http://twitter.com/skwerl

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

It'll be some other artist, if they leak.

Board footer