You are not logged in. Please register or login.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

Re: If the Skwerl

emcitymisfit wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

After the situation with that woman that got levied like a $2 million dollar fine, for uploading a bunch of stuff on torrents & P2P programs, AND the only case to ever go to trial...

Most artists and judges agree that the RIAA wastes everyone's time, trying to jail mothers, for uploading/downloading music.

The RIAA lost the battle long ago, and this was their death knell. Like with Cogill, sentences and/or judgments will get less and less and less. Most likely, had Cogill just kept his self-congratulatory mouth shut, he would've probably just had his internet cancelled by his provider, and nothing more.

This wasn't an RIAA civil suit, though, this was FBI criminal.

I'm sure if the result had been a little different, or Skwerl hadn't cooperated, the RIAA would've followed through with a suit...in fact, they still can if they want to be that lame.

I guess this moves MSL up to #1 on the public enemy chart, lol.

Didn't he leak shackler's from China, though? I'm sure that dude is pretty good about covering his tracks. He's a clever guy.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

As I remember it MSL didn't leak Shackler's himself.  He had some acquaintance do it from China.  He was instrumental in the process but technically wasn't the one who leaked it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
mygnrsucks wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

After the situation with that woman that got levied like a $2 million dollar fine, for uploading a bunch of stuff on torrents & P2P programs, AND the only case to ever go to trial...

Most artists and judges agree that the RIAA wastes everyone's time, trying to jail mothers, for uploading/downloading music.

The RIAA lost the battle long ago, and this was their death knell. Like with Cogill, sentences and/or judgments will get less and less and less. Most likely, had Cogill just kept his self-congratulatory mouth shut, he would've probably just had his internet cancelled by his provider, and nothing more.

This wasn't an RIAA civil suit, though, this was FBI criminal.

I'm sure if the result had been a little different, or Skwerl hadn't cooperated, the RIAA would've followed through with a suit...in fact, they still can if they want to be that lame.

I guess this moves MSL up to #1 on the public enemy chart, lol.

Didn't he leak shackler's from China, though? I'm sure that dude is pretty good about covering his tracks. He's a clever guy.

The FBI would've never been aware of it, had the RIAA not been instrumental in informing them.

I highly doubt with all the guns, drugs, and women that come in and out of this country everyday, that the FBI are spending precious time following a woman who uploaded Kanye West's discography on Pirate Bay, from Broken Whistle, Arkansas.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Me too. I've always been on the ship - "they intentionally leaked to test audience appeal and reaction" also.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I still think everything goes directly back to the band and no one will ever convince me otherwise.

When you say this what do you mean though? Like an intentional plan from Axl as a PR technique? Or someone in the band careless with their rehersal disk and it got lifted? Or someone in the band snapped and let it go on purpose as punishment for the wait?

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Me too. I've always been on the ship - "they intentionally leaked to test audience appeal and reaction" also.

That's a huge leap of logic, because that would assume the band wanting feedback, and actually having some sort of a plan for anything.

Good theory, but barely plausible.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

therealhopkins@skwerl I'm guessing the lack of civil suit means that it's someone in the GNR "inner circle" who doesn't wanna get named and shamed?

skwerl@therealhopkins think bigger.

drborken
 Rep: 6 

drborken wrote:
russtcb wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I still think everything goes directly back to the band and no one will ever convince me otherwise.

When you say this what do you mean though? Like an intentional plan from Axl as a PR technique? Or someone in the band careless with their rehersal disk and it got lifted? Or someone in the band snapped and let it go on purpose as punishment for the wait?

Maybe not Axl, but somebody high up. My personal belief is that someone thought all the stuff in 06 (leaking the songs, C&D to stations trying to play the songs, etc) was a good idea.

Then when the record didn't hit in 06 like it was supposed to, I think the Coghill leaks happened for different reasons. I think that was more of a sabotage effort by somebody in the organization.

Maybe far fetched? Maybe not?

i can see where youre coming from with that, it does make sense. getting hold of the medias attention after like 13 years of nothing wouldnt have been easy even if CD had been the greatest album ever written. it would take something big, like a preview of the songs, something to make people remember that GnR still exist.

im guessing though, if the leaks were deliberate, then they didnt work quite how they were intended. im guessing the idea was to leak the songs, get em on radio a few times so people heard them, then start the C&D orders, then that should leave people wanting to hear the songs again, which would then have been the perfect time to release the album. however, something went wrong, maybe they werent counting on the leaks spreading so far online, maybe someone didnt cooperate to get the cd out, i dont know. either way, nothing happened.

then again with the skwerl leaks, after a disappointing time, suddenly the "finished versions" of the songs were there, ready for people to listen to. again they spread, again there was action in the form of skwerls arrest. and then again, something must have gone wrong, cos no cd.

then maybe in 08, they learned from the last two failed attempts at leak->action->release, and so went to the media instead, got the best buy deal, basically forced everyone to cooperate, and finally got the cd out there.

im glad skwerl got off as lightly as he did, i think he was treated really badly, but i must admit i am surprised he got off that lightly, unless theres a factor we dont know about that explains it.

if we do see any more leaks, i would be surprised if its new stuff, or if they come from an inside source, its more likely gonna be some hoarder or someone whos had stuff for years and decided to trade for some reason, it wont be anything new. itll be new to us, but recorded years ago.

Board footer