You are not logged in. Please register or login.

drborken
 Rep: 6 

Re: There Was A Time

drborken wrote:

ok so i have no idea if this has been asked before, but still

in the second verse, axl sings something which accord to the booklet is:
"never mind who gave you head"
and according to rock band is:
"never mind who you gave head"

now in my opinion, it sounds more like what rock band says, but i still dont think that is what he actually sings. it sounds to me more like "near the man who you gave head", especially on some of the earlier demos where the vocals are louder.

now im wondering what other people think? and if what he sings is different to what the lyrics say, why is it different? i know there are a few mistakes in the booklet, but i thought most of them were fixed with the rock band lyrics.

also, ive heard before that there was a couple of instrumental demo versions of songs, namely IRS and TWAT. im not asking for anyone to post them up, but could anybody tell me anything about them, like what they sound like or which demo they are most similar to?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

monkeychow is the master...from a staggering 56 weeks ago...he nailed it when none of us had a clue

monkeychow wrote:

I always thought what the OP has as:

"to simulate a call, all the bad of learning evils and your ways around the laws, that keep you up and sitting pretty, on a pedestal of fear, and now you're sleeping like an angel, near the man who reaped it in."

was

"to simulate a call, for the betterment of evil, and your ways around the laws, that keep you up and sitting pretty, on a pedestal up there, and now you're sleeping like an angel, never mind who you gave head"

But then I do have a dirty mind.

drborken

drborken wrote:

see im thinking something similar but it still doesnt sound like he says that exactly, i dno how to explain it. its almost like hes saying something he doesnt want us to hear properly if you get what i mean?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

yeah i have that problem with Axl as well...sometimes you just cant hear him clearly...but its nothing new...he has sung some garbled lyrics on every album

drborken

drborken wrote:

yeah i guess. it seems a shame though.

anyway, how about the instrumentals? im interested

Sky Dog wrote:

I always thought...."never mind who ruled your head"....but, "never mind who you gave head" could be appropriate....in essence, I do think the song is about Stephanie and her "infidelities"...ie, she was sleeping around on our boy Ax...the song is clearly about her in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92iuybQ6 … re=related
99 twat.....

the other catch on Steph is the"Angel" reference as she was a Victoria's Secret "Angel" at the time they were dating. "Broken glass and cigarettes" refers to fighting which we know they did.....I could go on about every line actually but it is too much work. 13

drborken

drborken wrote:

thanks for that link madagas, karma.

i agree with you about steph as well, i think you are totally right about the angel being a reference to her, and thats why i think the lyric is something to do with giving head, maybe a reference to her cheating on him or something?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
madagas wrote:

I always thought...."never mind who ruled your head"....but, "never mind who you gave head" could be appropriate....in essence, I do think the song is about Stephanie and her "infidelities"...ie, she was sleeping around on our boy Ax...the song is clearly about her in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92iuybQ6 … re=related
99 twat.....you do not hear a "you" in there and I don't hear it on any of the other versions as well.

the other catch on Steph is the"Angel" reference as she was a Victoria's Secret "Angel" at the time they were dating. "Broken glass and cigarettes" refers to fighting which we know they did.....I could go on about every line actually but it is too much work.

I had never heard that demo of TWAT.  The song just doesn't sound the same without that epic solo.  Still good, but severely lacking Bucket's touch.

Sky Dog wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlCSqVet … re=related
99 IRS....notice the lead solo where Bucket's now is...sound familiar? I think it is Robin's solo on the final version. They just cut and paste Robin's in there for the 2008 leak version and the final CD version....unbelievable....recorded in 99.

In any case, I like the drumming on these demos and the roughness of the songs.

These are the lyrics from Rock Band:

Broken glass and cigarettes
Writing on the wall
It was a bargain for the summer
And I thought I had it all
I was the one who gave you everything
The one who took the fall
You were the one who would do anything
The one who can't recall
Where she was while she was sleeping
In another woman's bed