You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Revisiting the Billboard Interview

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
madagas wrote:

I'll take anything I can get at this point.

What ^said. CD vol. 2 or the old band playing Jungle. I'll take either, but will probably get neither.

Neemo, Chinese Democracy is the only album where you need to factor in sales from Cameroon. Every other album uses U.S. sales as a measure of success(or lack thereof).

Well when non US sales are 5 times larger, it IS worth mentioning.  Regardless of the sales in Cameroon, Uzbekistan, or Antartica, it sold that much, that's what happened.  Sales in the US were bad, I don't think anyone is denying that.  There was also no promo, interviews, effort made.  That's not the formula for success here in the US.

As for GH, most greatest hits compilations sell pretty well.  I don't think it should be a surprise to anyone that a GNR version has sold so well.  They were huge at one point, people haven't forgotten that.  That doesn't mean all those who purchased the CD are salivating for a GNR reunion.  I agree it would be successful, BUT, IT AIN'T HAPPENING!  And D, those requirements for if a reunion did take place, those certainly would never happen.  At least not with Axl.

Sky Dog wrote:

US sales are the straw that stirs the drink for a US band. However, is Oasis a failure because they only sell 100,000 copies in the US and play theatres here?

faldor

faldor wrote:
madagas wrote:

US sales are the straw that stirs the drink for a US band. However, is Oasis a failure because they only sell 100,000 copies in the US and play theatres here?

Yeah, I don't think anyone is trying to argue that GNR can still rule the world because they sold 3 million albums worldwide.  Well, maybe they could rule the world sans the US.  16  I just think it's quite telling the album sold SO MUCH BETTER outside the US.  The band/Axl Rose are no longer relevant here.  And obviously a whole lot of "nothing" has gone into making that happen.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
madagas wrote:

Oasis aren't a Major band though in the US

are they a failure?

I know 2 Oasis songs, so I can't really comment.

Sky Dog wrote:

Oasis plays stadiums in Europe and the UK....they are huge in England.

doesn't matter, a LA based US band like Gnr needs to do well at home.

faldor

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:
madagas wrote:

Oasis aren't a Major band though in the US

are they a failure?

I know 2 Oasis songs, so I can't really comment.

Oasis WERE big in the US, in the 90's.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

D - 3 million copies of an album full of already established hits and rock classics is NOT THE SAME AS A NEW RECORD.

The Eagles... God I'm tired of mentioning them... Keep bitching about having the biggest selling album of all time, but its their best of and nobody counts those as an actual album... Because its not.

And I haven't seen anything in an interview that would show me Slash or Axl would whore themselves out for money to sell a record.

misterID, when I say a "new" old band record, i'm actually referring to an anthology set with maybe a 3-4 newly recorded songs thrown on it, and it's used to market the reunion. With a tour, and a 2-disc set with new songs, and maybe a live DVD on the way from the reunion tour. They'd surpass 2004's Greatest Hits, and that's not counting the money from the tour.

GN'R were the biggest band of their time, bar none. Even Metallica didn't do GN'R numbers. I don't know why people throw GN'R to the wayside, and compare a GN'R reunion to that of Motley Crue, when it'd be far far far more on the level of David Lee Roth & Van Halen, and their album numbers, even an entirely new album, would at least do Death Magnetic numbers. At least.

As for Axl & Slash and whoring out for money. Slash - yes. Axl - no. Everyone, and I mean E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E associated with old Guns has been practically BEGGING of a reunion for YEARS. That doesn't mean they don't stay busy with their solo careers, but even right now, if Duff or Slash got the call "pack up, reunion", they'd drop Loaded and his solo album IMMEDIATELY, and Velvet Revolver would be an afterthought. No doubt. Izzy too would be there with bells on.

The only person holding this thing up is - W. Axl Rose. Has been from day one. It isn't that he wouldn't whore himself out, it's that they haven't found his price yet. Same thing happened with both The Eagles & VH.

Slash, Izzy, Gilby, Duff, Steven, Matt, and Dizzy.... just tell them where to be. Has always been that way.

russtcb wrote:

As long as I can get Axl out there doing what he does best, I'll take whoever's playing with him.

I've said it before though, I'd rather is be a Pink Floyd at Live8 type reunion if it happened as opposed to a Van Halen 2004 thing.

The Floyd show (while only 4 songs and a one off) was brimming with joy and excitement. The Van Halen tour that year had ice cycles growing off each venue.

That's because NO ONE was interested in Van Hagar reuniting, and I say this as a Hagar-era fan. You can't always pinpoint market interest, but even though Sammy's involvement with VH has always had a reaction of "mixed" since 1986, albums stayed strong, but people had maxed out their stamina with that version of the band in 1995. They were over it. There was no interest in bringing it back. To this day that remains the same.

After Hagar left, people got teased with Roth potentially coming back, and Dave was running around talking about he wanting to do it, and Eddie was blocking it, and causing shit n' stuff, and people believed that. Ever since it's been "Roth or nothing", and they finally got that. People are gonna get that way with Guns too, until Axl is forced to either reunite or go home, and that might just be what's going on now. Axl went home.

Neemo wrote:
misterID wrote:

D - 3 million copies of an album full of already established hits and rock classics is NOT THE SAME AS A NEW RECORD.

GH sold in excess of 4 million copies in the US alone and in the top 200 for 138 weeks

CD sold around 500k in the USA and was out of the top 200 inside of 20 weeks....BIG difference..

I know i'm only going by US sales, but nowhere else has worldwide sales been cited as a measure of financial success, CD is the first i've heard of that

as to it not being a new record...its a shame that Axl didnt release it on the heals of the GH release, then there may have been some interest to help boost its sales. for comparisons Death magnetic has sold in excess of 1.7 million and Black Ice has sold over 2 million

but hey a 1/4 of those #'s are good enough for gnr "all things considered" right? dont try to sugarcoat it I dunno why some people still can't accept that it drastically underacheived hmm

madagas wrote:

Oasis plays stadiums in Europe and the UK....they are huge in England.

doesn't matter, a LA based US band like Gnr needs to do well at home.

Not saying the people here at GN'R Evo, but I see it on the other boards... there's alot of America-hating people across the world, that still can't get over the fact that the U.S. controls the market on exporting entertainment. Period. It's the biggest export of the country. Movies, TV & Music.

If you're late-80's Queen, and only doing big numbers across the world, and not the U.S. It's not a big deal, because you're an ENGLISH band.

But music artists HAVE to do well in their homeland. GN'R did NOT do well on GNR's standards in the U.S., as an American band. That's where the problem.

I have no idea why some people take offense to that, like it's an attack on their country not mattering. In the music business - it doesn't. It's nothing personal, it's just business.

What CD sold in Norway... UMG wipes their ass with those memo's. They couldn't care less. In fact, the only person that probable does care - is Axl.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh okay. I think it would be a happy occasion. I really do.

Slash would certaintly be friendly with Axl, even if he's faking it. And the rest like Axl, and Axl likes them. Axl would have no reason to be a dick to Duff, Izzy/Gilby, Steven/Matt or Dizzy. And Slash would be cool with them all.

It wouldn't like like VH, where it was basically half the band vs. the other. Sammy & Mike vs. Eddie & Alex.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
faldor wrote:
madagas wrote:

Yeah, I don't think anyone is trying to argue that GNR can still rule the world because they sold 3 million albums worldwide.  Well, maybe they could rule the world sans the US.  16  I just think it's quite telling the album sold SO MUCH BETTER outside the US.  The band/Axl Rose are no longer relevant here.  And obviously a whole lot of "nothing" has gone into making that happen.

David Hasslehoff sold out stadiums in Europe for years....  American sales dictate a lot.  Its quite common for Europe to embrace many things that are total bombs in the US.  Just different culture.  However, the Beatles and Rolling Stones never had a problem being successful in both places and up until CD, neither did GNR.

Board footer