You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Revisiting the Billboard Interview

RussTCB wrote:

removed

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
faldor wrote:
madagas wrote:

US sales are the straw that stirs the drink for a US band. However, is Oasis a failure because they only sell 100,000 copies in the US and play theatres here?

Yeah, I don't think anyone is trying to argue that GNR can still rule the world because they sold 3 million albums worldwide.  Well, maybe they could rule the world sans the US.  16  I just think it's quite telling the album sold SO MUCH BETTER outside the US.  The band/Axl Rose are no longer relevant here.  And obviously a whole lot of "nothing" has gone into making that happen.

David Hasslehoff sold out stadiums in Europe for years....  American sales dictate a lot.  Its quite common for Europe to embrace many things that are total bombs in the US.  Just different culture.  However, the Beatles and Rolling Stones never had a problem being successful in both places and up until CD, neither did GNR.

I'm not saying US sales are meaningless.  Although I will say, I don't understand how half the stuff in the top sellers resonates with Americans.  But besides that, I'm not excusing GNR for doing poorly in the US.  In the same breath you can't discount the fact that they still sold very well overseas.  They have a definite market, it's just not here in the US.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Oh okay. I think it would be a happy occasion. I really do.

Slash would certaintly be friendly with Axl, even if he's faking it. And the rest like Axl, and Axl likes them. Axl would have no reason to be a dick to Duff, Izzy/Gilby, Steven/Matt or Dizzy. And Slash would be cool with them all.

It wouldn't like like VH, where it was basically half the band vs. the other. Sammy & Mike vs. Eddie & Alex.

Good call. I didn't really think about that. I would assume that as long as Axl & Slash could at least fake it, it'd probably be a good vibe.

The DLR/VH tour was kinda weird because the show itself was top notch but you could tell Dave was faking his "I'm SO glad Wolfgang is here!" schtick every night and the Dave/Eddie hugged seemed forced at every show because, well, it was.

Yeah, GN'R aren't that lame. All it'd take is a few shows, get the music going, Slash kicking those riffs out, Axl going over there and putting his arm around him, and letting Slash sing a few lines with him or Slash sitting on the end of the piano during November Rain... the fans would get the point.

Then when they do their traditional band bow to the audience, all Axl would have to do to stay away from Slash in the hug/bow, walk off stage, do his thang, Slash does his.

Bam, great show. I actually think there would be MORE drama behind the scenes, and throw media outlets, then there ever would be on stage. The new band travels seperately and interacts seperately, so it'd be no big deal for the old band. They already would do it anyways.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Neemo wrote:
misterID wrote:

D - 3 million copies of an album full of already established hits and rock classics is NOT THE SAME AS A NEW RECORD.

GH sold in excess of 4 million copies in the US alone and in the top 200 for 138 weeks

CD sold around 500k in the USA and was out of the top 200 inside of 20 weeks....BIG difference..

I know i'm only going by US sales, but nowhere else has worldwide sales been cited as a measure of financial success, CD is the first i've heard of that

as to it not being a new record...its a shame that Axl didnt release it on the heals of the GH release, then there may have been some interest to help boost its sales. for comparisons Death magnetic has sold in excess of 1.7 million and Black Ice has sold over 2 million

but hey a 1/4 of those #'s are good enough for gnr "all things considered" right? dont try to sugarcoat it I dunno why some people still can't accept that it drastically underacheived hmm

Why are you comparing GH with CD? My whole point is that GH's are not like releasing an album and you can't compare the 2. ie: why no one calls the Eagles Best Of the biggest selling album of all time, even though its sold more than Thriller. Of course GH's would do very well. Most GH's do... I'm not understanding why you quoted that hmm

Well, *this* 'some people' was never saying CD wasn't underachieving sells wise. Just posted about it in this very thread... My point is that CD is not a flop. If no one is getting my point now, either I have done a very poor job explaining it or a few people just aren't getting it. 500,000 copies sold is not a flop. I don't care where it is. Not every band goes gold. Its very hard, especially in these days. Even harder for a rock band. Is CD underachieving sells wise? YES!!!!!! I never said oitherwise. But it is not a flop. Which has been the whole friggin argument.

And if money is what drives a GNR reunion: The shows would suck and so would the album. The one thing that made original GNR great, warts and all, is exactly the opposite of what everyones keys to a reunion would be. Enjoy your crystal Pepsi.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I think in the world of GNR, 500,000 is a flop.  Its like if Michael Jordan, who averaged 30 points his whole career had a season where he averaged 5 points a game.  That would be such a huge downgrade, but under your theory, you would say he underacheived but that playing in the NBA at all is a huge accomplishment.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I think in the world of GNR, 500,000 is a flop.  Its like if Michael Jordan, who averaged 30 points his whole career had a season where he averaged 5 points a game.  That would be such a huge downgrade, but under your theory, you would say he underacheived but that playing in the NBA at all is a huge accomplishment.

It's a flop in the US, yes, where very little effort was made to make it sell well.  Any future releases will "flop" even more if they continue on the path of silence.  Again, not a recipe for success in the US.  Somehow overseas it doesn't seem to matter as much, they love the music regardless.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

So why did it sell elsewhere with very little effort, but not in the US?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Interest, nostalgia and culture.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

So why did it sell elsewhere with very little effort, but not in the US?

It didn't sell fantastic numbers here. It's not like it was a great success it just did well. It didn't bomb but it didnt do spectacular numbers either. It just performed well for a hard rock album coming out in these times where hardly anyone buys music.

Board footer