You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Revisiting the Billboard Interview

-D- wrote:

For the original band, they'd get whatever.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
-D- wrote:

I keep screaming this

Read Motley Crue's "The Dirt"

Nikki talks about how The label called them in and basically said fire john Corabi and get back Vince or we will not support anything u do.

This is obviously happening here. They are basically telling Axl to get back with the original or we aren't supporting shit.

wow good call D you may be right indeed...and when crue went back out with corabi it was a disaster cuz the label didnt back them in anyway shape or form...now i wonder if this happend in 06 and in 02 as well....

now that the album is out the mystery is gone and not even curiosity is gonna draw the average fan

so now we play the waiting game? 2024 here we come

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
-D- wrote:

I keep screaming this

Nikki talks about how The label called them in and basically said fire john Corabi and get back Vince or we will not support anything u do.

This is obviously happening here. They are basically telling Axl to get back with the original or we aren't supporting shit.

I was just thinking that the other day.

I really agree. Axl doesn't have the album to blackmail them with anymore, he's lost all his power, and they are playing hard ball. Old band or bug off. They don't need him. His back catalog, despite continued licensing, GN'R still doesn't make or break Universal music. The fans need to understand that.

Uni are business people too, and CD proved there's only one business left - reunion. They also know, that despite of Axl's issues, that they can practically bank that Slash & Duff will be out there promoting their own product, shows, new albums, etc.

Olorin wrote:

I doubt they would give him money upfront ever again with his track record, no matter who is in the band.

I agree with this. Even with the old band, I think Uni would need some guarantees, and see some action to put up money. They'll never trust Axl again. Too many burnt bridges.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

I keep screaming this

Then why did Azoff shoot down the reunion rumors?  He could've easily said nothing and let those rumors go by the wayside.  It's one thing for Axl to tear down Slash and paint the picture that he wants no part of a reunion, but I don't see why Azoff would have to step in and say anything on the matter if deep down he really wanted the opposite.

-D-

-D- wrote:
faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

I keep screaming this

Then why did Azoff shoot down the reunion rumors?  He could've easily said nothing and let those rumors go by the wayside.  It's one thing for Axl to tear down Slash and paint the picture that he wants no part of a reunion, but I don't see why Azoff would have to step in and say anything on the matter if deep down he really wanted the opposite.

Cause dude, Axl is resisting it. Axl doesn't want a reunion  just like Tommy lee was dead set against a reunion BUT record labels don't give a shit about Axl's "Integrity" or "feelings" All they know is, New GNR is worth maybe 2 million, Original GNR would be worth about 20 million.

in the dying age of record companies, they want maximum profits.

Azoff isn't saying anything cause he is smart and he doesn't want to get fired. So he is biding his time and just waiting and letting Axl run his course.

if Azoff can get The Eagles back together, he can get GNR back together. Think about it, Axl in 2001 hated EVERYBODY. now he just hates Slash. that can be fixed.

Remember, Axl got that sweet deal based off the OLD GNR's success. So the new band doesn't equate that massive of a deal.

Think about it. Why give Axl 10 million dollars to go GOLD in the US when they can sign 5 EMO bands for that and sell the same amount of records and make more money with each band?

U have to think about this:

Either what I said is happening, or Axl is the worst businessman/bandleader in the history of music.

I tend to think Axl is pretty genius, so I'd say it has to be the first.

Just read Axl's billboard again and the lack of support they got. just read between the lines. Buy "The Dirt" and read Nikki's chapter on the Corabi version battle with the label and tell me it doesn't sound just like this.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I think the record company is tired with Axl period.  Reunion or not.  I don't think they're trying to force him to do anything because they know that's a lost battle.  They'll continue to make money on the back catalog and do as little as possible to help Axl/newGNR in the future.  They waited 10+ years for the album to materialize, do you really think they're looking forward to waiting another 10+ years to break Axl down and get a reunion. 

You're right, Axl is pretty genius.  With that being said, he's not about to go back on his harsh words for Slash, reunion talk, etc. to please the record company.  If the record company really wants to take Axl to battle on this front, I think they're barking up the wrong tree.  He's proven he doesn't need to stay busy, tour, make music to stay happy.  He doesn't seem like one to be forced into doing something that he doesn't believe in.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

yeah exactly.

It's all together possible that the record company is taking that kind of approach, I hate it when people talk about relevancy as that's a load of shit, cos the industry manipulates what's relevant, but I think as more and more time passes, without any kind of strong commerical backing for new music, the GNR brand will become more and more associated with it's historical importance, classic rock, the 80s-90s. That success was massive and will always be remembered...but the way to capatalise on that from a record company sence is going to be reunions and the old line up.

In 1995 when Axl when it was only a few years since GNR were doing massive numbers, it would seem a more plausable business decision to invest millions behind a new poject spearheaded by Axl.

As time passes and the GNR brand becomes more of a legacy artist...it's less attractive for them to spend those dollars on anything other than the line up with a known pre-existing and still massive fan base.

However that's not to say that a new gnr couldn't do well with the right financial backing, it's just finding people willing to take those risks that is the hard bit. From their perspective its all risk and the easy money back is elsewhere.

But the thing is I fully believe Axl won't bend to them...so it's likely to just be a stalemate to death....the only way a renuion of any kind would happen is if the guys themselves forgive each other and sort shit out on a personal level...and there's no sign of that happening....but it's going to have nothing to do with labels and money and whatever if it ever did happen.

-D-

-D- wrote:

I don't get the hate for Slash to be honest.

Hell, Izzy called the man Hitler. Slash has never said anything that bad right?

I think he hates the fact that Slash left GNR and has made a damn good career without Axl. I think Axl figured SLash would fall on his face and come begging back and that hasn't happened.

Slash has went on to be an Icon and a lovable guy everyone wants to work with. *not bad for a cancer huh?* whereas Axl is this dude that lost the public opinion war and has been buried by the press etc.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Great point D, and I tend to believe Axl's side of things. For a "cancer", everybody and their fuckin' grandmother are busting down doors to work with Slash, not Axl.

We can sit here all day, and debate "why". But the truth of the matter is new GN'R is a flop, two times over, and there's money to be had elsewhere with the brand name, and a public that demands it. Despite what the hardcore fans think, the majority of the world want that reunion, otherwise CD would be triple platinum by now, and still in the Top-50, at least. They'd be touring, because they've got to, to support the album, etc. None of it is happening, because no one's interested. I think this, it's not Axl at all. I think Axl wants to tour. I think nobody gives a fuck is the problem.

Izzy ran down Axl the worst of any of them, and yet shared a stage with the man as Guns N' Roses in 2006. If a reunion wasn't on the table, and CD dead as a damn door nail, then Axl wouldn't be doing interviews talking all about Slash, and how he hates him, but Duff is cool, and hopes to work with him, and wishes Steven the best, and like two fuckin' sentences about CD. Axl knows where the money is.

Axl fixates on Slash, because he's a man who's ran off the mouth about stuff for years, and has been proven wrong over time, and hating Slash is his last ditch effort to be RIGHT. That's all this is about. He wants to be RIGHT. It's not about truth, hasn't been for the longest time, if ever.

-D-

-D- wrote:

Thing about Slash is

if everybody shares the same story as Slash........ how can Slash be wrong?

Board footer