You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Revisiting the Billboard Interview

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

That is where you are wrong....theories at this point are played out and are completely biased to the point of silliness when trying to piece together why the band broke up, or who swindled who with the name issue, or speculating on what promoters and record label execs think about the "brand" Gnr. It is pointless banter that is played to death by the same 30 people across the dwindling number of Gnr boards.

Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Slash didn't swindle Axl out of the name.  I know I can't prove it, but I'll still say it as though it is a fact.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Madagas

Sure we arent experts or music lawyers but U tell me why they release a decade in the making album to the worst release strategy known to man with no videos, no promo, no tour ZILCH

Either Axl is the worst businessman/bandleader ever or UNI has him by the nuts and refuses to support it.

It doesn't take a Harvard Grad to realize something isn't right in GNR land.

Fuck Axl even said without saying it how shitty UNI treated the album.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, that's where I get alot of my speculation is based on Axl's words himself. Uni was non-existant to help them promote it, and the whole "we should've gotten rid of Slash after Lies" thing, I think alot of that is a combo of Axl's own resent, combined with resent towards the label with the "reunite" thing. At this point, I think Axl wants to nose dive it out of spite.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Universal told the world in 2004 or 2005 Axl had fucked them for far too long and it was up to him to start putting the money into his "art". I guess he had burned all his bridges by then.
Axl messed them around for a decade and now he cries about them being "cuthroat loan sharks" and having no support, it doesnt add up to me. All these songs are from 99-2002, yet Universal is forced to throw out Greatest Hits a few years later as he still hasnt turned it CD in.
All this no support talk is a gross exageration, how much free time did Robin, Richard, Brain, Tommy, Dizzy and Buckethead have to kill over those years?? There were all hanging around waiting on one man.
To me it looks more like the vast majority of stumbling blocks on the road to the release were all created and built up in the mind of Axl.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Precisely Olorin, which creates an even scarier thought. If in Axl's mind, he views the situation with Universal as "cutthroat loan sharks", and "no help", and "no support", when he was given probably the biggest budget and biggest ROPE of ANY artist in history for CD... and Axl still looks at it that way.

There's nothing you can give him to please his "pace". Nothing. That's even scarier to me, because despite all the bullshit, he's not going to find better support than what he's got right now, which is none at best.

Looking back, I think it's kind of funny in Slash's book, how even when they were still young kids practically, working off and on jobs around LA trying to make a living, enough to eat and do shows and stuff, how even then Axl didn't really want to work. He always find someone to crash with, or some girlfriend to float him along. And he's still doing it now.

It's sad, the man has all this talent, and really doesn't give a shit. Someone made the analogy awhile back (it might've been Buzz), about how Axl is the type of guy who'd sleep through his classes in high school, getting F's, but then would come in and make straight A's on the tests, to even out to a C overall, pisses the teachers off to no end. That sums it up perfectly, even still.

Sky Dog wrote:
-D- wrote:

Madagas

Sure we arent experts or music lawyers but U tell me why they release a decade in the making album to the worst release strategy known to man with no videos, no promo, no tour ZILCH

Either Axl is the worst businessman/bandleader ever or UNI has him by the nuts and refuses to support it.

It doesn't take a Harvard Grad to realize something isn't right in GNR land.

Fuck Axl even said without saying it how shitty UNI treated the album.

Personally, I don't think Axl is a good bandleader and don't think he is a good businessman. Personally, I don't think he is capable of being in the public eye anymore. I've read his chats a few times and they are very disturbing. D, here is part of my response to you earlier...obviously I don't think ANYTHING is right in Gnr land...:(

"The reality is there is no reunion on the horizon, no tour on the horizon, no single release on the horizon, and no new record on the horizon. All we have got is a new "Gnr" product/album that came and went with very little fanfare. Basically, we now have nothing to talk about in my opinion.  Fuck, I need a Xanax...or another glass of wine."

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I "think" the album was released the way it was because they were giving back to Axl what he gave to them over the years. Azoff gave them a great deal to release it and they took it.  Bad thing is they chose BB to do it, who relied too much on Uni (domestic) to help them out, which they didn't.

I think it all comes down to bad blood between Axl and Universal domestic. Which explains the great relationship Axl has with the international branch of Universal. I just don't buy Axl being the victim in this.

-D-

-D- wrote:

My problem with this is:

It's like Axl still could've done something without the label

he could've done radio promo, Letterman/Leno Today Show.....

I promise the reason GNR singles tanked at radio was due to Axl doing Zero press. Radio took that as a slap in the face and basically pulled the plug.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Very right. I actually know a few, veteran, radio people that DJ, and they'll be the first to tell you that artists that don't try to push their own material, they don't feel like pushing it, and they'll intentionaly not play their singles out of spite.

That's the reason country music and radio has always had such a great working relationship for years. Country artists realize what radio does for them, and they do tons of interviews and promotions for radio stations. Many DJ's in fact have the home or cell numbers of some big artists in country, at least in bigger cities.

-D-

-D- wrote:

Remember on Metallica's "Some Kind Of Monster" when they had to do that really shitty radio bit or basically they were told radio wouldn't support it....

same shit here

Board footer