You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Trent Blasts Axl In New Interview

-D- wrote:

QFT Communist

Plus Prince walked away from a 100 million dollar recording contract and was one of the first major artist to release music via the web.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
madagas wrote:

being a Radiohead fan......no it wasn't. I paid $2 for a great album and alot of people paid nothing. It gave the band massive free publicity and literally shook the entire industry to it's core. Trent just played off of that and tweaked it a little. Radiohead also did really cool internet only shows from the studio (the Scotch Mist stuff). To me, Trent just jumped on THEIR bandwagon. He did not and has not revolutionized anything-just my opinion (and I am not criticizing him). neutral

-D- wrote:

QFT Communist

Plus Prince walked away from a 100 million dollar recording contract and was one of the first major artist to release music via the web.

both great points

AtariLegend wrote:

I thought Trent was also supposed to have deliberately leaked several "Year Zero" (His last album for Interscope) tracks months before it's release too. I know it's not the same thing, but it was pretty radical compared to the usual artist.

...And for the record, I love "Gn'R", "Radiohead" and "Nine Inch Nails". However to me the only thing they have in common apart from great music is a synth machine.

I can't hear any audible comparison between "Pretty Hate Machine" and "Chinese Democracy".

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

madagas wrote:

being a Radiohead fan......no it wasn't. I paid $2 for a great album and alot of people paid nothing. It gave the band massive free publicity and literally shook the entire industry to it's core. Trent just played off of that and tweaked it a little. Radiohead also did really cool internet only shows from the studio (the Scotch Mist stuff). To me, Trent just jumped on THEIR bandwagon. He did not and has not revolutionized anything-just my opinion (and I am not criticizing him). neutral

They offered fans the chance to pay what they wanted. Fine. But the download version had streaming quality only equal to myspace. Several artists release their albums to myspace streams in advance of set-price, label-endorsed physical versions. All Radiohead did was let you pay for it. Then they turn around and say that they only real way to own the album is by buying the physical product. (When NIN releases physical products along with cheaper downloads, fans are made aware that there will be a physical release in advance).

Radiohead never released their sales figures either, meaning other bands have no idea how good of an idea it is to go the online, label-less route. If the goal is to take power from the labels, you need to tell people the results of your experiment.

Then, the worst part, imo, is that Radiohead made fans who wanted to remix pay a dollar per 'stem'. So you paid X dollars for the download featuring the song 'Nude', then paid $10-15 for the physical album featuring the song 'Nude', then you have to pay $5 more to remix 'Nude'? Doesn't seem very fan-friendly and revolutionary to me. More like a rip-off. NIN offers tons of songs for free to remix, and all of them since they went label-less.

Yes, Prince did it first. Major credit to him.

Sky Dog wrote:

so it was a revolutionary ripoff! 14 It obviously had it's problems, but it did really shake the industry and major labels. It also gave Trent a blueprint for what he did. He learned from their mistakes and capitalized on it. I personally don't think the band intended to screw their fans. They just didn't really execute well because it was fairly uncharted territory.

In any case, both bands are LIGHT YEARS ahead of Axl in terms of dealing with the modern day music industry.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Agreed on that.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
madagas wrote:

In any case, both bands are LIGHT YEARS ahead of Axl in terms of dealing with the modern day music industry.

Who's not?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

That's the 2nd psychic friends hotline tie in post in the past couple days...

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

"There was a sensationalism in the press, too, because it was extreme music and it wasn't hidden behind a manufactured character like Marilyn Manson. There was not mask, it was just me.

He is a malicious guy and will step on anyone's face to succeed and cross any line of decency. Seeing him now, drugs and alcohol rule his life and he's become a dopey clown. He used to be the smartest guy in the room."

I seen Manson interviewed on TV today, and Trent wasnt lying, he is a shadow of his former self. He looks and sounds a completely fucked up, he used to be so lucid and was a powerful conversationalist. Today he was mumbling, slurring and rambling. He looked really bloated and haggard, a sad sight, I used to be a big fan.

Board footer