You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Holy Shit Fuck! Chickenfoot's Cd Is Awesome!

buzzsaw wrote:

1984 was the first cassette I bought.  It is still one of my favorite albums even with the damn synths.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

1984 was the first cassette I bought.  It is still one of my favorite albums even with the damn synths.

Damned straight.  House of Pain/Drop Dead Legs/Panama...all great stuff.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

You missed out Hot for Teacher, how could you 9

Chickenfoot is a semi decent cd even if it sounds a little dated.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
skippy wrote:

Eddie "was" one of the greatest guitarists of all time.

Eddie IS one of the greatest guitarist players of all time.  PERIOD, a couple bad years and issues means nothing...it's his body of work that makes him one of (if not THE BEST) guitarist's of all time. As long as he is living "was" doesn't work.

skippy wrote:

This CD is killer!  Better than anything Hagar did with Halen.  More rockin', less gay keyboards, not so many awful "love" lyrics.

Apparently you only listened to the "hits" then.  Sammy's work with VH shined on tracks like "Sucker in a 3-Piece"/"Humans Being"/"The Seventh Seal"/"Source of Infection"/"One Way to Rock" (w/VH not solo)/"A.F.U."/"5150" and "Mine All Mine"...notice NON of these are the "awful" love songs?  BTW Skippy I'm not picking on you just disagree with that statment "BETTER THAN ANYTHING HAGAR DID WITH VAN HALEN".  I DO agree that the love songs were for the most part SHITOLA however.  Personally I STRONGLY prefer Roth over Hagar music-wise in VH.

I just got the new Chickenfoot by the way...well..."eh".  So far I found one song I really like "Down the Drain".  I'll have to hear more to make a fair call but as of now it's only mediocre.

BTW.... Alice in Chains and Soundgarden WERE the last great bands to come along.  13

I agree mostly with this. I was never a big Hagar fan even his work with Van Halen. But I do dig this album. I like half of it basically. It's just a fun record.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

I didn't like Hagar's rockin' stuff with VH.  Good Enough, Summer Nights, Judgement Day, that's about it.  It seemed perfunctory, plus add in Eddie's penchant at the time to want to write songs that sounded like Michael McDonald, and it just wasn't my favorite VH time.

That being said, I don't blame Hagar, Eddie was the one writing the music.

It's all good, I can appreciate different viewpoints.  Enjoy the Chickenfoot.

Let's not even get into how well Best Buy has promoted this one, with the band, and Azoff's participation, and that it charted at #4 after only being on sale for 4 days! : )

Gunslinger

Gunslinger wrote:
skippy wrote:

... plus add in Eddie's penchant at the time to want to write songs that sounded like Michael McDonald, and it just wasn't my favorite VH time.

16  That's a good quote.  I have to agree with you on that part.

By the way, I've listened more to the album and it has grown on me a bit.  By no means a great album or even as good as most stuff with VH Sammy did (imo of course) BUT a good album by today's standards. 

I am kind of where BLS is with it now, I like about half the album.

Down the Drain and Get It Up are by far my two favorites.

My Kinda Girl, Sexy Little Thing and Soap on a Rope are good.

Not bad Skippy, compared to most crap-ola that's came out lately I didn't have a problem dropping under 15 bucks for it and feeling like I got my money's worth.  Like BLS said, it is a "fun" record.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I think Sammy Hagar's best VH album is Balance. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned that here when referring to Van Hagar's more rockin stuff. Not much cheese in the lyrics, and really strong musically as well.

Might have to dig that out for a listen, I forgot how great that CD is.

Gunslinger

Gunslinger wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I think Sammy Hagar's best VH album is Balance. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned that here when referring to Van Hagar's more rockin stuff. Not much cheese in the lyrics, and really strong musically as well.

Might have to dig that out for a listen, I forgot how great that CD is.

I agree with you, this was his finest album with the group.  The Seventh Seal and Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do) were excellent and I liked Deja Vu and Baluchitherium as well.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

Chickenfoot's CD jumped from #4 to #2 this week.  I'm not expecting it stay up high much longer, but kind of cool.

Board footer