You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Scarlett
 Rep: 2 

Re: Slash and Duff have discussed doing a GNR reunion show

Scarlett wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

I think a reunion will happen but not anytime soon.  Eventually Axl is going to "reflect" on his life as will the rest of the GNR of used-to-be.  These guys will be pushing 50 soon and if you've noticed,  that's when most big bands forget egos and concentrate on one last ride into their legacy.  Some it takes a little longer but it usually does happen.  I'm sure the money aspect doesn't hurt either.  I firmly believe (barring any passings or the like) we will see a reunion...eventually.

I believe this as well, but it's going to take a third party not relative to either side to get the ball rolling. My only conern is that Adler may not be up to such a reunion with his substance abuse problem. I would love to see the original five on tour and make another album together.

Horrific
 Rep: 7 

Horrific wrote:

They talking bout doing just a couple shows not a permanent thing.Would be fucking awesome though.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Good point, but how come after 14 years, Axl still isn't willing to close the door on the possibility? Should be an easy thing to do for a man approaching 50 that apparently has as many albums in his vault that the old band released.

All it would take to permanently kill off reunion discussion once and for all is for Axl to say its never going to happen.

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Good point, but how come after 14 years, Axl still isn't willing to close the door on the possibility? Should be an easy thing to do for a man approaching 50 that apparently has as many albums in his vault that the old band released.

All it would take to permanently kill off reunion discussion once and for all is for Axl to say its never going to happen.

I think though James that there are still a lot of people who are following the band/brand in the hope that there will be a reunion. Without that hope they may just jump ship and give up on Axl's band entirely. Its only constant speculation and rumour that keep the GNR name (barely) alive.

I think Axl needs to keep that possibility alive to continue to generate interest. After all, this is a guy who cant get over Slash at all and has used former members to promote shows etc.

As for Axl not ruling out the possibility.... Well he doesnt exactly say much about anything let alone anything regarding a reunion. I think his pathetic Albany rant and the press release about Slash says it all really - he's just too immature to make any amends.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

If we don't see anything from CD in 2008 then i reckon Axl will have nowhere else to go except back on the reunion trail or into obscurity.

His personal finances would not robust enough to fund the marketing & distribution of CD on his own. This album was conceived by Axl around 1996 before the collapse of the music industry when putting $25M into GNR would not have been a stretch for a major label as the returns would have been so massive.

The album is at least 8 years too late and the industry model is collapsing. The days of the blank checks are over for Axl. He's a 45 year old nostalgia act (sadly his own doing), rather than being an aging but current rock giant like Bono. His pulling power is still impressive but it's built on old songs and old players. He is not in U2 country anymore.

I think CD will not be pushed as hugely as people around here hope. The will is not there in the industry anymore. Nothing Axl could have written will convince any music suit to risk angering his stock holders by taking a massive bet on a guy who walked away from the top 14 years ago and remains as famous for walking off stage as he is for singing on it.

I hate to see this great man in this position, I hate that the industry is run by commerce graduates and not passionate music visionaries but unfortunately that's the world Axl finds himself in now.

He will be under severe pressure to go back to the old band, book a tour and watch the millions flow in. It's all so much easier for a label to get their heads around than what is ahead for them in effectively launching the albatross that CD has become.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I agree, he will be remembered.  I just don't think he'll be remembered as fondly as he could have been.  He's closer to Michael Jackson than he is to Mick Jagger.  He'll be remembered more for his quirks than his talents, which is a shame.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

absolutely. I wanted to see him like Bono, growing old but still prolific with millions of fans waiting for a worthwhile album to drop every three years or so.

He could be so far up the road now and would have grown older in the public eye. Being away so long with no new material is making his comeback so intense, personal, heavily scrutinized, lauded and mocked.

After 14 years of quietly living your millionaire life it must be a tough one to face into..

Board footer