You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: "The Spaghetti Incident?" (14 Years On)

James wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I think I'm the only person on Earth that loves GNR's version of Hair Of The Dog.

Yeah, I was never too fond of that. Trying to copy the original too much, it was a safe choice for a Nazareth cover(something like Shot Me Down or Miss Misery would have been better), the ending drags on too long,etc. The songs just sounds forced. A lot of the album sounds forced with little emotion, especially the Axl tracks. The Big Dumb Sex outro is like nails on a chalkboard. There's zero feeling or emotion when he's singing it. Its like he's reading the line from a cue card. BDS might have been added for a taste of irony, but that doesn't excuse the lack of enthusiasm when singing it.

Yeah, the production is great and it does have a few killer tracks, but the album was so unnecessary. Its a spitwad of irrelevancy in the face of a key moment in time for the music scene. I remember when radio stations were playing the album's only single Since I Don't Have You for awhile, I would laugh when I heard it start. It was almost uncomfortable to even hear it because it was just so worthless compared to everything else going on at the time.

As I said earlier, the album is just one big giant mistake. Adding insult to its injury is the fact it was the band's last album. What was a minor and recoverable fuckup turned into a shit stain on the band's legacy.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I think I'm the only person on Earth that loves GNR's version of Hair Of The Dog.

Yeah, I was never too fond of that. Trying to copy the original too much, it was a safe choice for a Nazareth cover(something like Shot Me Down or Miss Misery would have been better), the ending drags on too long,etc. The songs just sounds forced. A lot of the album sounds forced with little emotion, especially the Axl tracks. The Big Dumb Sex outro is like nails on a chalkboard. There's zero feeling or emotion when he's singing it. Its like he's reading the line from a cue card. BDS might have been added for a taste of irony, but that doesn't excuse the lack of enthusiasm when singing it.

Yeah, the production is great and it does have a few killer tracks, but the album was so unnecessary. Its a spitwad of irrelevancy in the face of a key moment in time for the music scene. I remember when radio stations were playing the album's only single Since I Don't Have You for awhile, I would laugh when I heard it start. It was almost uncomfortable to even hear it because it was just so worthless compared to everything else going on at the time.

As I said earlier, the album is just one big giant mistake. Adding insult to its injury is the fact it was the band's last album. What was a minor and recoverable fuckup turned into a shit stain on the band's legacy.

Good points, although I don't think releasing TSI would have been a mistake. With some different songs and more emotion it'd be great for them to win some time till the 'next' album.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Hell no...i basicly get a hard on from that track!!

Come on people...Axl yelling "Now your messing with a son of a bitch " is just so damn impressive!

James

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Come on people...Axl yelling "Now your messing with a son of a bitch " is just so damn impressive!

Not when read from a cue card......:haha:

I was involved in a discussion on this album ages ago during the good old days of HTGTH, and I'll say basically the same thing I said then: Axl was the weak link on this album. There was clearly zero inspiration in this project, and it comes through in his delivery. The band sounds very tight at moments(the end jam on Human Being, Black Leather, Aint It fun), but even they seem bored at times(Hair of the Dog, SIDHY,etc.).

Its like Axl(or somebody) said, " Hey, we just got off this huge tour, so let's throw something out there for whatever fans will buy it, even though no one is interested in this music. Lets grab the UYI throwaway covers and add a few more. I'm not all that interested either, so Duff, you do half the album. Slash, you hate singing, but get up to the mic and do Buick Makane". It was a joke. Hell, Axl isn't even pictured in the album. Its his fucking shoes for crying out loud.

Good points, although I don't think releasing TSI would have been a mistake. With some different songs and more emotion it'd be great for them to win some time till the 'next' album.

There was no next album(hindsight tells us we shouldn't have expected one either), and more emotion in different covers wouldn't have changed a damn thing.

In hindsight, its no surprise the band started to derail within a year of this album's release. There was just zero ambition in a band that was loaded with ambition just two years prior. Its like Izzy's departure just sucked the life out of the band, and the huge tour following his departure was just a band in cruise control. All the band could muster up within the next year was a Stones cover, and during that same year all Axl could do was another Stones cover with Gilby and Axl's final performance for the decade with the Boss doing a Beatles cover.

The greatest band in the world had in the span of two years turned into nothing more than a glorified cover band. Its no surprise that Axl disappeared and Slash bailed.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

There was no next album(hindsight tells us we shouldn't have expected one either), and more emotion in different covers wouldn't have changed a damn thing.

In hindsight, its no surprise the band started to derail within a year of this album's release. There was just zero ambition in a band that was loaded with ambition just two years prior. Its like Izzy's departure just sucked the life out of the band, and the huge tour following his departure was just a band in cruise control.

It happens with most bands after such a huge tour. Metallica needed 5 years to reelase a new album after the black one, GN'R could have done the same, but they started to work too early on the new one and some things, like the hiring of Paul Tobias killed all the personal ties. TSI meant to be only a Lies Part 2, but since they sweeped out the loft, all they had were these covers. (Wonder what happened to the Hanoi Rock covers though.) They never said it was a 'real album', just something for the fans. Had they managed to sort out the personal problems, we'd have had a new album in 1996.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James

James wrote:

Well, GNR were out of gas. Nothing at all left in the tank. Hell, all the sessions in the 94-97 period are just various instrumentals with different combinations of members. There was no album within a light year of hitting shelves, and its shameful that the dwindling hardcores were led to believe something would materialize shortly. I think Gilby's departure in mid 94, even though he wasn't a "key" member, should have been a sign that the band had entered permanent clusterfuck status.

As far as a "swan song" release to the era, instead of TSI it should have been a boxset similar to Metallica's "Live Shit, Binge, and Purge". Would have been a great way to not just end that era, but a final chapter to that monstrous tour.

How about this:

GNR: Get in the Ring

Live at the Horizon 87
Live at the Ritz 88
St. Louis Riot show
LA Forum(a collection of songs from all nights)
Live in Argentina 1993

In 1993, could you have asked for anything more.....seriously?

nugdafied wrote:

I always thought they should've done an official MTVUnplugged episode with some covers on it after the tour, instead an entire electric cover album. AIF should've been on the Illusion album.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

yea a nice live collection from the classic era, simliar to what metallica did around that same time with "live shit: binge & purge" would have been tits.

Board footer