You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: "The Spaghetti Incident?" (14 Years On)

Neemo wrote:

the only tunes i can even listen to on TSI are, hair of the dog and down on the farm I dunno i dont care for it at all hmm

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

I've seen a lot of Spaghetti Incident should have been an EP talk over the years, I think the only reason it's looked at like it is, is that it so far is the last thing we've gotten while most of the original band was still together.

I look at it simply as when I originally bought the tape, a 5 song ep would have cost be $8, but the full length cost me $10.  I got a bit more for my money the way it came out.

Not to mention the amount of bands that I didn't know anything/much about and I discovered because of it.  There's a pretty decent chance I wouldn't dig the Stooges today without Spaghetti Incident.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I don't just look at it in hindsight. I was 18 when that was released, and I remember buying it. I enjoyed getting to hear some new Guns material, but it left much to be desired, and as I mentioned earlier, really stuck out like a sore thumb among what else was going on in the 93-94 period. You had Whitney ruling the charts, Janet Jackson kicking ass, hip hop making its first big statement with 2pac, Dre and Snoop, a poppy R & B group named Arrested Development that just about everyone was listening to, the rise of TLC, Soul Asylum on top of rock with their one hit wonder, Rod Stewart resurrecting his career with MTV Unplugged, soft rock bands like Gin Blossoms, Spin Doctors getting huge airplay, Meat Loaf is back, Toni Braxton's career taking off, girl bands like Ace of Base, En Vogue,etc. at their peak, Aerosmith still on top of their game, Mary J. Blige's career takes off, easy listening crap like Jon Secada, Michael Bolton, and Kenny G finding a mainstream audience, Boyz II Men shattering records, the rise of R Kelly, Mellencamp getting big again with Wild Nights, Aliyah's debut, Prince number one again, Babyface establishing himself as a hitmaker, Collective Soul debuts, the Hootie and the Blowfish craze, Soundgarden releases a masterpiece, the Sheryl Crow craze, Nirvana hits it big again before Cobain's suicide, "Girl rock" like Liz Phair, Elastica, PJ Harvey, Luscious Jackson takes off, artists like Enigma, Crystal Waters, etc. get huge in clubs, The Cranberries, Beck debuts, the Boss comes back with that Philadelphia crap, Live releases an incredible album, Danzig comes back, Seal gets huge, Tom Petty back with a vengeance, Bonnie Raitt, Garth Brooks, and a few others keep country going, STP helps keep rock alive, Melissa Etheridge has her best year ever. List goes on and on.

What does GNR bring to the table during this incredible two years for the music industry?

The Spaghetti Incident and Sympathy for the Devil.

The fact the fanbase considers it mediocre has less to do with it being the band's last release. It has to do with their favorite band becoming as relevant as your rotting christmas tree still sitting by your garbage can two weeks after Christmas.

Nobody fucking cared. Not even their own fans. There were too many interesting things going on to care about GNR doing covers.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

I don't just look at it in hindsight. I was 18 when that was released, and I remember buying it. I enjoyed getting to hear some new Guns material, but it left much to be desired, and as I mentioned earlier, really stuck out like a sore thumb among what else was going on in the 93-94 period. You had ... List goes on and on.

What does GNR bring to the table during this incredible two years for the music industry?

The fact the fanbase considers it mediocre has less to do with it being the band's last release. It has to do with their favorite band becoming as relevant as your rotting christmas tree still sitting by your garbage can two weeks after Christmas.

Nobody fucking cared. Not even their own fans. There were too many interesting things going on to care about GNR doing covers.

GN'R found the 'punk revival' before the punk renaissance happened. That was the problem. 2 years after TSI neopunk started to rule the rock charts. GN'R was too fast. Had it been rawer (without Skyliners crap etc), more inspired and come out a year later, it could have been huge.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

You call that a punk revival? A punk revival would have been them doing their own punk album. You're saying TSI was ahead of its time?:nervous: Oh man. Karma for such a bold statement.

The album was dead on arrival whether it was punk covers, Sabbath covers, Kiss covers,etc. No one was interested. Its not the fact it was punk covers or "ahead of its time" that bothered people, its the fact it was covers. Period. Why listen to GNR covers when you can listen to something fresh like the new AIC album, The Offspring, Soundgarden, Collective Soul,etc. Hell, Rod Stewart was more relevant in 93 than GNR was, and thats fucking sad(no offense to Rod). Cut Across Shorty unplugged with Ron Wood did more damage than all the TSI tracks combined, and Cut wasn't even an official single.

I will admit that the album had a bigger chance at success if a better single was chosen, but TSI was dead on arrival regardless of what single was chosen.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Come on people...Axl yelling "Now your messing with a son of a bitch " is just so damn impressive!

Not when read from a cue card......:haha:

Don't see any cue cards here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChmZ-qz0xQo

TSI is gold people!!! smile smile

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

that is Axl dead smack in the middle of his prime as well..:haha: looking healthy and rockin hard!

Seven
 Rep: 9 

Seven wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

I don't just look at it in hindsight. I was 18 when that was released, and I remember buying it. I enjoyed getting to hear some new Guns material, but it left much to be desired, and as I mentioned earlier, really stuck out like a sore thumb among what else was going on in the 93-94 period. You had Whitney ruling the charts, Janet Jackson kicking ass, hip hop making its first big statement with 2pac, Dre and Snoop, a poppy R & B group named Arrested Development that just about everyone was listening to, the rise of TLC, Soul Asylum on top of rock with their one hit wonder, Rod Stewart resurrecting his career with MTV Unplugged, soft rock bands like Gin Blossoms, Spin Doctors getting huge airplay, Meat Loaf is back, Toni Braxton's career taking off, girl bands like Ace of Base, En Vogue,etc. at their peak, Aerosmith still on top of their game, Mary J. Blige's career takes off, easy listening crap like Jon Secada, Michael Bolton, and Kenny G finding a mainstream audience, Boyz II Men shattering records, the rise of R Kelly, Mellencamp getting big again with Wild Nights, Aliyah's debut, Prince number one again, Babyface establishing himself as a hitmaker, Collective Soul debuts, the Hootie and the Blowfish craze, Soundgarden releases a masterpiece, the Sheryl Crow craze, Nirvana hits it big again before Cobain's suicide, "Girl rock" like Liz Phair, Elastica, PJ Harvey, Luscious Jackson takes off, artists like Enigma, Crystal Waters, etc. get huge in clubs, The Cranberries, Beck debuts, the Boss comes back with that Philadelphia crap, Live releases an incredible album, Danzig comes back, Seal gets huge, Tom Petty back with a vengeance, Bonnie Raitt, Garth Brooks, and a few others keep country going, STP helps keep rock alive, Melissa Etheridge has her best year ever. List goes on and on.

And the next year we had Alanis and Seal (same manager, same label, huge sales) and then we had Karma and lots of it for the music industry....and the cult like mentality of the family becomes even more secretive.....?... there is no end to how much shit this album caused in Hollywood with that Manson song....No end to the school in crime.....Huge contribution? To the poisoning of our generations collective conscious...

After TSI and Cobain the industry put a stop to any legitimate songwriters. Boy bands and Girl starlets...all groomed to produce results wanted by an agenda I wonder if we will ever know.....TSI was a disaster on many levels...most of all the negativity of it played right into the industries hand and musicians were all carving holes in the bottom of the ship they were all adrift in. This IS Brilliance? This is ethical egoism not Rock N Roll. It is in reality the antithesis of what those Punk songs were supposed to represent....

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Wow. I like TSI. Who knew so many hated it.

Board footer