You are not logged in. Please register or login.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

Re: So where does GN'R stand right now and what is the current news?

emcitymisfit wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Riad - this song doesn't have much going for it regardless, but the intro gives it a bit of a more haunting feel. Otherwise, i'm pretty indifferent. It's the Shotgun Blues of the album.

I dunno man, I've always said it sounds like a pretty kick ass mash up of Zeppelin, guns, mars volta, and something else I can't put my finger on. I think its a great song, but I hate the intro.

You forgot how much better IRS, ITW, and Prostitute are. Seriously, before Ron's additional crunchy guitar before the chorus kicks in, prostitute was severely  lacking.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I'll see if I can get twat played on my wireless tomorrow afternoon, every song I've requested so far has been played with great enthusiasm from the djs, this is a challenge as I'm not convinced its suitable for radio, but we'll see.
The albums no deader than any other album that isnt being worked and no deader than any of the hundreds of other albums in my collection. The only thing thats actually stone dead is a few internet nerds expectations and demands, boo hoo sad

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
mygnrsucks wrote:

I dunno man, I've always said it sounds like a pretty kick ass mash up of Zeppelin, guns, mars volta, and something else I can't put my finger on.

Its a Praxis song through and through. I remember when I first saw the album credits, my jaw hit the floor when it was credited to Stinson. If anyone ever questions Tommy's talent, they need to play Riad and play it loud.

You forgot how much better IRS, ITW, and Prostitute are

I haven't forgot how those songs were virtually ruined. Ron raped IRS, and thank God for skwerl so we can hear it how its really supposed to sound.

If the World is solid with or without Ron, and I don't like Prostitute and haven't heard it in so long I couldn't tell ya what he added to it even with a gun pointed to my head.

I know Big Bri used to post in here

Sometimes I wonder if I'm gonna have to drive to Chicago just to get him to start posting again.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I like what Ron brought to IRS, the original leak was my favourite, hated the skwerl one, too dull. Still prefer the demo ITW to the album version and its only the crunchy electronic bass sounds that ruin it for me, not the guitars.
But I never knew he was on Prostitute and I dont think I could pick him out even if I tried either.

Riads awesome but the solo not. Only a few Bumble moments have me playing air guitar, and there almost all not his solo moments sad

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I know Big Bri used to post in here, and got alot of 'fevered' responses from various people. He felt that it should just be about the music, and fuck the behind the scenes stuff, don't get involved with it. And he got responded to with all this "but it's so enjoyable to watch the trainwreck, and the drama with your favorite band", including from myself. But he was right. At the end of the day, it has to be about the music, because it's the only way to keep your sanity. Thinking about GN'R beyond the music itself, is a fucking drag of epic proportions.

i'm another from that school of thought...but sometimes its hard for those of us know know every minute detail so separate the drama from the music

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I got to say I pretty much prefer the album versions to the leaks.

Look me a while to get used to the 'new' solo on rhiad cos i was used to the bucket one, but I recently came across the old version and played it, and i was so used to Ron now that I didn't really like the old one anymore.

I can agree that the basis of the songs was clearly down well before Ron joined, and so it's sad that it took 4 or so years to find someone to put down those finishing touches. But I like the touches.

Although the mix is pretty convoluted in places, so I think a lot of these songs could really shine in a live setting, as while GNR's live set up is pretty intense, I think some of the parts - like the bass and some of the guitars would really shine through.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Count me in as another one who likes Ron's contribution to IRS - I love that noodling he does in the right channel over the verses. There are only a couple of things from the earlier leaks that they dropped and I would've kept - the palm-muted rhythm part under the "Didn't want to know it all" lyrics in TWAT, and Robin's choppy rhythm part under the second verse of IRS in the 1999 leak (which is sort of there in the final version, but has tons of effects piled on top of it).

JIP
 Rep: 10 

JIP wrote:

I think Ron did a decent job on what he was asked or permitted to do...brought an old Guns feeling in the record and i give him a credit on that.

I believe the whole "leaking procedure" took away the grandiosity of this record..(i'm not blaming the guys who leaked it...i even want more leaks) but the final product ,which is available to the large masses, is what makes history or not.

So,the final product is an over produced album with great songs in it.I still prefer the RIR 2001 version of Madagascar but it doesn't count.People got the album version .I still skip "Anything Goes" on AFD but that doesn't really matter.AFD was out there 2 years before MTV helped it become number 1.AFD could have been buried as another decent album from a hair metal band but it survived because of its content and the promotion that needed to be done.

Mixing an album is not my job and if Tommy's bass can't be heard you have to blame the producer.If the last official band picture was taken back in UYI days you can't blame the fans.We want this album out the proper way but what we got was a shitty booklet and overproduced demos after 14 years...That's Axl Rose and we have to live with that.

I am not gonna buy an Xbox just to split the tracks and say "hey,here's tommy's bass!".That's not rock n' roll ,but surely that's the modern way to rape music.

Out of 30 UYI tracks i loved 10 or 11...Out of 14 CD tracks i love 12...I'll keep the faith on mr. Rose

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
mygnrsucks wrote:

So you prefer the demo of Twat over the album version??

Hell yeah, I'd take the leak over the studio version. I don't need Cookie Monster's background vocals or the seventh guitar riff.

I think the 2002 leak was the best. Even the vocal effect on the "Lonely Tear Drops" part made the song better. And the orchestra was more prominent, which was a killer arrangement, which can be even more appreciated on the 99 version.

There are 6-7 guitars on this track (and others). That's ridiculous.

There's nothing that Ron brought to the songs that the other guys couldn't have. There was already a crazy Bucket Riff during the live version of CD, which was replaced by Ron's riff on the album. If you listen to the original The Blues or the 2002 live version, Robin is playing along to the music with almost the same riff, and in the intro, that Ron did, but his actually fits the song.

I know this looks like I'm slamming Ron, but I'm not really. I don't blame him. This was Axl's decision to have him play on top of someone elses music, instead of creating his own. The album has grown on me, but the leaks were something fantastic. All they needed was to be mixed, and mixed right. But Axl decided to stay in a studio tinkering with it just long enough until he removed everything that was organic with the music and the band fell apart.

Itchy GTR
 Rep: 5 

Itchy GTR wrote:

CD was the first time I heard Bucket Head play. He is a very good guitarists and has talent. But what I don't get is his get-up. Why the Kentucky Fried Chicken hat man???? He has enough talent to not have to dress up as if he once auditioned for KISS and that was his persona for joining the band.  lol

Board footer