You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: Oh My God

Mikkamakka wrote:

Epic doesn't mean great.

Estranged wouldn't be half that good without Slash's guitar.

What if, what if, who are we to say that... sorry it's theory. The song is a fact.

It's like saying that 'well, Jimmy Page did a great job on Since I've Been Loving You, but who are we to know if another player wouldn't make it even better?'. It's too much rambling in the fantasy land.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

Re: Oh My God

strat0 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Epic doesn't mean great.

Estranged wouldn't be half that good without Slash's guitar.

What if, what if, who are we to say that... sorry it's theory. The song is a fact.

It's like saying that 'well, Jimmy Page did a great job on Since I've Been Loving You, but who are we to know if another player wouldn't make it even better?'. It's too much rambling in the fantasy land.

yes but the difference is that LZ didn't have like 5 different guitarists that could have, and probably did record it

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: Oh My God

Mikkamakka wrote:

When Estranged was written, GN'R had only one lead guitar player. The song perfect as it is.
I'd rather think of singers who could write better stuff for Bad Apples, which is an instrumentally great song, but thy lyrics and vocal melody takes away the strength.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Oh My God

Axlin16 wrote:

In the case of Estranged, yes it was great without the guitar.

In the case of everything else, I totally agree Mikka. When you think about it like that, just about every GN'R song, is strong instrumentally. Look at Slash & co. post-GN'R works. Not even in the ballpark. And look at Axl. The strongest part of CD is the instrumentals, not the melodies, which would be his responsibility. Other people made CD great.

Bad Apples is a great example Terrific song, if you take the vocals out of it. Shotgun Blues, Riad... same thing.

monkeychow
 Rep: 643 

Re: Oh My God

monkeychow wrote:

Why does everyone hate on Shotgun Blues it's a fucking good song, same with Riad for that matter.

It's the mix of chemestry that's always made GNR what it is IMO.

The old band had the pull of Axl's intensity of emotions, slash's 70's blues rock, and the stonesy songwriting of Izzy and elements of punk from duff.

The new band has the same from Axl, some blues stuff from Robin/DJ, some shredy and crazed stuff from bucket/bumble, and an advante guard/alternative song structures from Bucket/Paul, and elements of industrial from pitman/axl.

Both bands are highly reliant on the mix of people they have in them to get the sounds they have. I think the old band more so simply because the new band is controlled by Axl and so even if a player leaves he can audition people who play in a similar style to replace that part. But on a song writing level - it seems to me all the songs are products of the people involved in them. I don't think Shackler would have sounded anything like it does if the ideas for it had been developed by the old band, and I don't think AFD would sound like it does if it had been written by the new. I really think everyone in GNR past and present deserves more respect than they get as contrbutors to the sound.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: Oh My God

DCK wrote:

Locomotive too

Aussie
 Rep: 285 

Re: Oh My God

Aussie wrote:

I love the instrumental demo of Locomotive, particularly the guitar work towards the end of the song!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Oh My God

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Why does everyone hate on Shotgun Blues it's a fucking good song, same with Riad for that matter.

It's the mix of chemestry that's always made GNR what it is IMO.

The old band had the pull of Axl's intensity of emotions, slash's 70's blues rock, and the stonesy songwriting of Izzy and elements of punk from duff.

The new band has the same from Axl, some blues stuff from Robin/DJ, some shredy and crazed stuff from bucket/bumble, and an advante guard/alternative song structures from Bucket/Paul, and elements of industrial from pitman/axl.

Both bands are highly reliant on the mix of people they have in them to get the sounds they have. I think the old band more so simply because the new band is controlled by Axl and so even if a player leaves he can audition people who play in a similar style to replace that part. But on a song writing level - it seems to me all the songs are products of the people involved in them. I don't think Shackler would have sounded anything like it does if the ideas for it had been developed by the old band, and I don't think AFD would sound like it does if it had been written by the new. I really think everyone in GNR past and present deserves more respect than they get as contrbutors to the sound.

UYI2:

Civil War
14 Years
Yesterdays
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Breakdown
Pretty Tied Up
Locomotive
Estranged
You Could Be Mine
an alternate cut of Don't Cry

With songs like these, not that the rest are bad, but Get In The Ring, Shotgun Blues, So Fine & My World, certaintly fall into the B-side category at the very least.

CD:

Chinese Democracy
Better
Street of Dreams
If The World
There Was A Time
Catcher In The Rye
Sorry
Madasgacar
This I Love
Prostitute

With songs like these, not that the rest are bad, but Shackler's Revenge, Scraped, Riad N' The Bedouins, & I.R.S. kind of fall into the B-side category.

I don't think people 'hate' some of these songs. I think calling them 'lesser' is a better term, in comparison to the tracks around them.

For example... I think Shackler's Revenge SMOKES Chinese Democracy. And I think CD is a good song. So what does that say about my thoughts about Shackler's? I love the song. But there are those out there, that call it one of the worst GN'R songs ever, or at least the worst on CD-the album.

I personally think Oh My God is better than Scraped, Riad & I.R.S., yet many hate that song, AND it didn't make the album. So people dig their own thing.

I may not be crazy about Shotgun or Riad, but I respect someone presenting merits for those songs.

I think the overall end point, is you'd be hard pressed to find a 'bad' Guns N' Roses song. I think that's why we all love this band.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

Re: Oh My God

emcitymisfit wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I think the overall end point, is you'd be hard pressed to find a 'bad' Guns N' Roses song. I think that's why we all love this band.

The best part is that people pretend that My World doesn't even exist anymore, lol.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Oh My God

Axlin16 wrote:

I said 'hard pressed'. Not impossible.

My World is a bad one, Reckless Life is a bad one, some of the earlier demos sucked, and there's also a few on TSI.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB