You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Definitive UYI

Sky Dog wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
nugdafied wrote:

UYI
1. YCBM 5:43
2. Double Talkin' Jive 3:24
3. Locomotive 8:42
4. The Garden 5:22
5. So Fine 4:06
6. Coma 10:13
7. Breakdown 7:05
8. Civil War 7:42
9. Don't Cry (orig) 4:44
10. November Rain 8:57
11. Estranged 9:24

Clocking in at at just under 80 minutes...UYI would've been the perfect name for such a musically ambitious album.

Pretty good! I'd only make a few changes, So Fine and Breakdown out, Bad Apples, Garden of Eden and Pretty Tied Up in.

Anyway, monkey and Metallex is right - it's great as it is, and although a serious selection would have made it AFD quality, I'm happier to have twice as many songs, since, knowing the band's fate, these would have never been released later.

Ultimately, I am glad we got everything we did from the UYI sessions....warts and all.

For Chinese, Axl should have released 2 albums for the price of one once he struck the deal with Best Buy. Reasons being, he would have paid the fans back  for their loyalty, and he would have given a better representation of his overall vision for the album/albums.

Now, we may never see anything else from the Chinese sessions. 17

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Right Next Door To Hell has always been cutting room floor demo. I don't really see why it gets the fan fare it gets. It's a piss poor opener, and I hold it in regard to songs like Reckless Life. I don't see how RNDTH gets a pass, but Shadow Of Your Love is cut or Crash Diet can't be on the album. It's the same damn deal.

"Fat trimming" is the best option, like was mentioned.

I'd cut RNDTH, Back Off Bitch, and Garden of Eden from UYI1, which would bring it down to a 13-song album.

I'd then cut Get In The Ring, Shotgun Blues, and My World from UYI2.

When you think of those albums like that... those are TIGHT albums.

Sky Dog wrote:

agree with uyi 2 but would add cutting KOHD and Don't Cry alt...no reason for 2 DC'S and no reason for another KOHD since it was already released on soundtrack and was already on radio as a single ...plus the studio version kinda sucks outside of Slash's solos.

Sky Dog wrote:

actually, you can cut LALD from uyi1 as well. KOHD and LALD could have went on SI since it ended up not really being a punk album.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

UYI I:

Perfect Crime
Dust N' Bones
Live and Let Die
Don't Cry [original]
You Ain't The First
Bad Obession
Double Talkin' Jive
November Rain
The Garden
Don't Damn Me
Bad Apples
Dead Horse
Coma

UYI II:

Civil War
14 Years
Yesterdays
Don't Cry [alternate]
Breakdown
Pretty Tied Up
Locomotive
So Fine
You Could Be Mine
Estranged
Hidden track--"Only Women Bleed/Knockin' On Heaven's Door"
[Live at Rio II, Jan. 23rd, 1991]

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
madagas wrote:

agree with uyi 2 but would add cutting KOHD and Don't Cry alt...no reason for 2 DC'S and no reason for another KOHD since it was already released on soundtrack and was already on radio as a single ...plus the studio version kinda sucks outside of Slash's solos.

Don't agree on DC. I see your point, but the alternate lyrics version of Don't Cry is just too powerful to be benched.

madagas wrote:

actually, you can cut LALD from uyi1 as well. KOHD and LALD could have went on SI since it ended up not really being a punk album.

LALD represented too much of that 1991-92 period of GN'R. It was a big freakin' hit, so much that two entire generations forgot it was Paul McCartney's song.

It's gotta be on UYI I.

As for Knockin'... see me alternate UYI II setup. I like that ALOT MORE. And a studio quality DAT for that Rio II performance would've already existed by the album's release date. The live version of Knockin' was always better anyways.

I can only stomach the studio version of KOHD from that '98 single-disc UYI release that got rid of the Josh speech.

Sky Dog wrote:

true on DC...BENCH THE ORIGINAL AND KEEP THE ALT!

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I have no problem with that all! lol

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Depends really

are we going personal taste or what we feel would be the best most universally great seller?

For instance, I love 14 years and double talkin jive... but if we are building just the  mass, most commercial appeal.. neither would make it.

So my list of the 12-14 BEST songs keeping my personal taste out of it
1.Civil War
2. Yesterdays
3.Live and Let Die
4.Don't Cry
5.You Could Be Mine
6.Dead Horse
7.November Rain
8.Locomotive
9.Estranged
10.knocking on Heaven's Door
11.Dust N Bones
12.Pretty Tied Up
13.Breakdown
14.Coma

Definitive there

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Right Next Door To Hell has always been cutting room floor demo. I don't really see why it gets the fan fare it gets. It's a piss poor opener, and I hold it in regard to songs like Reckless Life. I don't see how RNDTH gets a pass, but Shadow Of Your Love is cut or Crash Diet can't be on the album. It's the same damn deal.

I dunno, I agree it's not for everyone, but it's a pretty kickass rocker nevertheless. The opening rhythm guitar riff is almost like a sped up variation on the Brownstone riff, and that kicks all sorts of ass.

I love how the intro is a slow build up, first the bass, then drums, then that pick slide from hell into THAT great riff.
When the vocals start and the entire band is playing, it just sums up all that I love about GN'R. Just a big, fat, fuck-you (almost dumb in their youthful delivery) rocker.

As an album opener, and I imagine back in 1991, it kinda stated GUNS N' ROSES ARE BACK, and if you don't like it, then "FUCK YOU!!!!" (just as Axl sings in the song) 9

Oh, and Slash's solo is killer too, just like all of them on UYI 3

Board footer