You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Vince Neil: "Axl Rose Let His Fans Down"

Olorin wrote:

I think he might, the man needs a fresh approach for his own sake and even if he isnt selling out stadiums, the majority of fans in attendance at shows will be there cause they liked CD. The ones that didnt and want a reunion wont buy tickets or at worst, they'll picket outside about the injustice of it all. Actually I'll throw a couple of quid their way and they can keep an eye on my car for me.

Sky Dog wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
madagas wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

I am not predicting the end of GNR's fanbase I am seeing it.  Just stating what's happening.  Like Axlin said.  CD was his last ace and he fucked it up.  When he came on the boards to talk to fans I thought at first that things would change but it hasn't.  Before when we had silent eras fans would take it cause they were still hoping for the big prize.  Now they have that prize.  So really why should the fans take this bullshit again?  What reason do fans have?  Don't tell me more music.  He played that card.  Tours?  Played that card to death too.  Seriously why are people surprised there was no tour.  CD tour was done multiple times already.  And that is why fans are turning on Axl.  Cause basically he has nothing more to offer.

He certainly does have something more to offer. He is an artist who is in control of unreleased songs. He can offer those, and I would like to hear them. He can go on tour with the new band or try to reunite the old band...that is something to offer. Now, we know he may not do any of those, but I still hold out hope that he will....that is why I continue to come here. If you aren't interested in any of those things and you don't think he will do any of them, then why even post in this section? If it is just to vent your frustrations, then I would hope you have better things to do than worry about a 46 year old rich as shit rockstar.

I should have said nothing interesting to offer.  He can go on tour.  True.  But who fucking cares?  We saw the CD tour time and time again.  Do you really think Axl will play different songs from CD just cause it's released now?  He ain't got the guts anymore.  If this was 1991 I'd say different but now.  When I saw them in 06 they played 5 songs from CD which is standard.  So a CD tour is boring at this point.  A reunion.  Hey I used to be one who believed it would happen.  Now.  Not so much.  And while it would be fun at first it would fizzle real fast cause you'd know it would be for a tour and that would be it.  Again if they won't record it loses some of it's lustre.  Unreleased songs?  When he dangled a carrot to us that was called CD it was interesting cause we all wanted to hear what he came up with.  Again he lost that.  We all know what he came up with.  And in alot of ways failed to deliver on promises made by the likes Fortus, Stinson and Dizzy.  Cd was a good effort but still a little disapointing.  And now the element of surprise is gone from the possible new music he has.  I could be wrong but I think that in CD he gave us the best he had.  Which does not bode well for the unreleased material.  Would I buy it if he released it?  Yeah.  Am I gonna wait like before for Axl to dangle this carrot?  Nope!  And I think less and less people will.  So again Axl has NOTHING INTERESTING to offer.  He fucked up one time too many.  And it is sad to witness cause I wanted him to succeed.

Good you made your point. You aren't interested so move on. See, I am not interested in VR or really even Slash's solo album. So guess what? I don't post in those sections. Why? Because the fans that like those bands and projects don't want to hear me continually say how disappointed I am with EVERYTHING Slash has done since he left Gnr. Thus, I don't post there out of respect for their opinions. I wish more people who post in this section respected the fans who still care, but they don't.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

I should have said nothing interesting to offer.  He can go on tour.  True.  But who fucking cares?

Me. big_smile  And I would guess I'm not the only one in the world.

Sometimes it's just great to hear your favourite singer sing some of your favourite songs. So what if they're not new or if you've heard them sung before. It's been 3 years since I saw Axl live, and I enjoy myself everytime, so I could use another fix for sure.

gnfnraxl wrote:

We saw the CD tour time and time again.  Do you really think Axl will play different songs from CD just cause it's released now?  He ain't got the guts anymore.

I don't see why it would take guts to play songs from a released album, i think he'll just play whatever the fuck he's in the mood to play. Maybe it will be the same stuff, maybe not. Do you think it was coincidence that the new songs he played last time were the leaks? Between the leaks and the other songs he's premiered at rio, most of the album was already known, so I can see why he may have been hesitant to pull out the last couple of tracks live when he knew he wasn't finished messing with it yet. Now it's out there there is no reason why he can't play any of it, he may choose not to, but I don't think he's afraid of playing it.

gnfnraxl wrote:

Unreleased songs?  When he dangled a carrot to us that was called CD it was interesting cause we all wanted to hear what he came up with.  Again he lost that.  We all know what he came up with.

Yeah but if people are fans because they have a hope that *maybe* he's going to come out with some secret holy grail of all recorded sound then that's a fault with them not with the band. Axl's a talented guy and he writes great songs, so it's reasonable to expect high quality output from him, but you got to be fair too. I mean we didn't like that he didn't release the album for years, now you're complaining that there's no mystery left? I'm a fan of axl cos I like his lyrics, his voice, and his melodies....that's what it's all about...the sideshow that developed surrounding the wait was never the point to me...and if people are fans just for the drama...well of course they're never going to be happy.

gnfnraxl wrote:

And in alot of ways failed to deliver on promises made by the likes Fortus, Stinson and Dizzy.  Cd was a good effort but still a little disapointing.  And now the element of surprise is gone from the possible new music he has.  I could be wrong but I think that in CD he gave us the best he had.

Well that's a personal responce and valid as how you feel. For me i was very happy with the final product. I really enjoy the songs and am very glad to have them in my life. If we were to hear new tracks of a similar standard to the album then i'd be happy.

gnfnraxl wrote:

Would I buy it if he released it?  Yeah.  Am I gonna wait like before for Axl to dangle this carrot?  Nope!  And I think less and less people will.

Don't take this the wrong way, but like I just don't understand what you mean by this, like what is required in 'waiting'? Why not just listen to your other favourite music, do whatever you do day to day and just go pick up CD2 when or if it drops.

It's not like Axl is only going to sell the album to those of us who post daily, or maintain some kind of vigil out the front of his house. If anything the idea of waiting is the problem. It clearly puts Axl in a state of mind where he feels there's too much demanded of him or that we feel entitled to things that he may not wish to do. And it sucks for fans too, as you expect something, it doesn't eventuate, and then you get pissed off with the band and so on. If anything I think Axl's behaviour for the last few years at least shows he actually doesn't like the idea of people waiting around for him, he just wants to live his life, and us to live ours, and when he has music to share he'll do it, and if you are still interested in hearing it at that stage then great, if not, well, at least you didn't sit there angry for the years it took to make.

I know that looks like i'm telling you not to be a fan and I don't mean it that way. I'm just saying, this whole idea of axl needing to offer us stuff is kind of the wrong mindset for the way this band operates. At the end of the day Axl does what he does, he makes songs in his own time frame, plays with people he get's along with, releases music when he wants to and peforms it live when he wants. that's basicly the deal he offers and it's take it or leave it.
If you enjoy what you hear when that happens then you keep interested, if your own expectations for what you think should happen are not met often enough, then you walk away. But axl is who he is, and people like vince complaining about what he does or doesn't do isn't really helpful to anyone.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Just stay home then, spare yourself the agony. I'll go and see them no matter what they play, but I'm really hoping for CD in its entirety.

I hope he does play the whole album.  But again Axl doesn't have the guts plus he's stuck in 1987.  But seeing GNR play the whole album would be about the only way to make a new tour semi interesting.  And again I hope he does it but I will be extremely surprised if he does.

Not that the setlist changed a whole lot but we did get "Down On The Farm", "Nice Boys", "Back in the F'ing UK", "Sway", "Sailing", "You Gotta Move", "There Was A Time", and "Riad and the Bedoiuns" over the years.  Granted those songs were only played once or twice apiece but I don't see why you'd make the assumption he's afraid to play something different.  They played 3-4 new songs in 2001/02.  They played 3 of those songs still and 3-4 newer ones after the 2006 leaks.  Did you want them to play all of CD before it ever came out?  I think we got enough complaints about how we've already heard half the album live.  So now there are more songs out there, but they won't play them?  I just don't see where you get this logic from.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
faldor wrote:

Not that the setlist changed a whole lot but we did get "Down On The Farm", "Nice Boys", "Back in the F'ing UK", "Sway", "Sailing", "You Gotta Move", "There Was A Time", and "Riad and the Bedoiuns" over the years.  Granted those songs were only played once or twice apiece but I don't see why you'd make the assumption he's afraid to play something different.  They played 3-4 new songs in 2001/02.  They played 3 of those songs still and 3-4 newer ones after the 2006 leaks.  Did you want them to play all of CD before it ever came out?  I think we got enough complaints about how we've already heard half the album live.  So now there are more songs out there, but they won't play them?  I just don't see where you get this logic from.

Here's why that frame of mind exists......

Axl spent years talking about burying the old band. Even had the nerve to say something like he was gonna have a 'warm and fuzzy feeling' proving all the doubters wrong, and that everyone better get used to the idea of his version of GNR and the path it was gonna take.

Nothing wrong with that. Bring it on. Your discog is so small that the 2001 line up could have doubled it in no time.

Instead, year after year of no new music, excuses, band member departures, and sporadic touring. This is when people slowly started to wake up and see the emperor had no clothes, and if he did, it was a miniscule thong.

The sites were not always negative. Well, negativity has always existed, but it didn't overshadow everything else. People were genuinely excited for the new era he was supposedly ushering in. It never happened, even though he had ten years and an amazing line up to make it happen.

So while some may not agree with the hardline stance people such as gnfnraxl take, you can certainly see how and why they arrived at that destination.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

You can also understand why he wouldn't play an entire albums worth of material before it was released.  Nearly half the album was leaked before the 2006 tour anyway.  So he played those songs.  You can't fault the guy for not playing MORE new songs.  Now that they're out there I'm sure we'll get to hear them eventually.  That's the part I don't get.  The thought that we're gonna hear the same 5 songs from CD that we've heard before.  I don't see where that line of thinking comes from.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

because its a total 180 from Axl's pov from 1990 before UYI were released...

have you never seen the famous AFD/Jerking off rant?

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

faldor like Neemo said.  Before the illusions record got out GNR played tons of illusion songs in concert.  That was back when Axl had guts and GNR was a "dangerous band".  Although to Axl's defense they played down on the farm in their 06 tour.  And Monkeychow.  You're misunderstanding me.  I ain't complaining that CD came out far from that.  But what I'm saying was before last year when we were in silent era's, fans had CD to look forward too.  But now that ace was played.  I'm just saying Axl has no cards left.  Like madagas said he has other songs in the vault.  Only question is, does Axl has the guts to get those out or does he want them out at all.  That is far from a sure shot.  So that is why this silent era is creating more negativity.  There is nothing or almost nothing to look forward to.  You can blame me all you want I don't care.  But my name isn't W. Axl Rose.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

And Monkeychow.  You're misunderstanding me.  I ain't complaining that CD came out far from that.  But what I'm saying was before last year when we were in silent era's, fans had CD to look forward too.  But now that ace was played.  I'm just saying Axl has no cards left.  Like madagas said he has other songs in the vault.  Only question is, does Axl has the guts to get those out or does he want them out at all.  That is far from a sure shot.  So that is why this silent era is creating more negativity.  There is nothing or almost nothing to look forward to.

Yeah i see what you mean. But then I also think the prior state of affairs was unnatural. Like if many of the previous fans were fans just because there's something massive on the horrizon or they were anticipating something epic happening, that's not normal for a band. You know - i think some GNR fans are fans for a type of religious experience - Axl has a ton of chrisma, and the drama and mystry and intregue, actually fueled by the silence, made us feel like part of a special club or a cult of some kind.

True believers that would one day be rewarded in some way. And this mentality was increased with the hoarding of tracks, hell even that recent rockband leak was labeled as "treasure" on the file. Some people got this syndrom harder than others, and as James has eliuded to in another thread, pretty much all of us orginal fans at times feel the sence of excitment and anticipation that a new track brings.

From UYI, before it and after it. GNR has always been a type of experience it seems. But what i'm getting at in this thread is that while most fans of the music may sometimes get the religious vibe as kind of a side effect, there are some fans who are fans of the side effect, and the music is less important. And those people flooded the GNR community during the dead years. But the thing is - if one was a fan of the mystery - well that HAD to end after the album came out.

So i see what you mean. But I also think - if you look at GNR like another act - what do they have to look forward to either - all any artist does is put out new music - hopefully as good as the last music - and put on tours for fans to see the show. The distinction is GNR does this in slow-motion - it takes a long time for the tours and albums to eventuate - and I accept that. But what i'm getting at is Axl shouldn't have to have some trump card up his sleve. It should be enough that he can eventually release new music (which in theory he can if he has it recorded already) and do a tour when he wants to. That should make fans of the music satisified. Fans of the religious experience may feel let down. But they'd be better off finding an actual religion!

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

Monkey.  I kinda get what you're saying.  But see, when you're in a band such as GNR.  Your fans will ask new music from you.  Wether they are owed new music or not is a whole other debate which I so do not wanna get into.  And granted Axl works in ultra slow motion.  So much that had we not had the leaks last year, Axl would probably still be holding his ace called CD.  And I agree that it almost seem like you only see this with GNR fans that people hoard some songs like it was their richness.  And I never got that.  If I had GNR or any other band's rare tracks, I'm of the thinking I'd wanna share them and discuss that.  Then again maybe I ain't normal.  Would new tracks bring excitement.  Perhaps.  If Axl decided to release the material he has I have said I'd buy it.  But I doubt you'd get a huge buzz this time around.  Maybe with the fanbase on the boards but that would be it.  Axl seems to have really outplay his mystery card.  I could be wrong though.  One thing seems obvious though.  Is that this silent era is not ending anytime soon.

Board footer