You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The Wrestling thread

James wrote:

Vader wrestled stiff.

Look for Flair interviews discussing Starrcade 93 and/or watch the match. Vader kept hitting him hard early on. Harley Race... Vader's manager and Flairs old nemesis was outside the ring. Flair asked him what he should do and I don't remember the exact quote but it was essentially fight back to remind him who's boss. Flair got in some stiff shots and Vader settled down.

I would've loved to have seen a situation where Vader gets stiff with Savage. Savage would turn it into a shoot although Savage was a professional. He didn't take no shit though.

It's why Hogan refused an angle with Rude. Rude worked really stiff and if Hogan tried putting him in his place, things might get ugly.

People talk about Haku and Barbarian being genuine bad motherfuckers...and they are...but Rude might have been the baddest of them all. Savage a close second.

That old story about Rude knocking the shit out of like 5-6 frat boys in 5 seconds flat is insane. By the time his friend opened the car door to get out and help him, it was already over. They were all on the ground knocked out.

One of Rude's favorite hobbies was taking a girlfriend to a bar, leaving her by herself, waiting for the first guy to go flirt with her. He'd then walk over and kick their ass.

People like Rude and Savage are seriously dangerous.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, that goes back to my rant about Vader vs HBK, Shawn totally screwed that match/angle up. 16

I've heard Rude worked really stiff, but he and Savage knew how to put sub par wrestlers over, too -- Warrior. I've seen Savage attack fans who jumped into the ring and he did not fuck around.

I actually saw Haku at the mall once when he was King Haku. He had like ten kids, he walked barefoot, and you just don't understand how HUGE he is in real life. His thighs were about as big around as my entire twelve year old body.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

SHAQ was great tonight! Love it.

James

James wrote:

Jim Crockett died.

RIP

I'd love to see a documentary on how he handled running the NWA in the mid-late 80s. I know it's been talked about over the years but I'd like to see the whole story in one program warts and all.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

SHAQ was great tonight! Love it.

I'm going to catch the show on YouTube, it got really good reviews. They're nearly averaging a million viewers for their show. That's awesome. Apparently they've signed another vet.... It's got to be Christian.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Damn, just read WWE quickly re-signed Christian, so it won't be him.

misterID

misterID wrote:

The new wrestling bios Raw vs Nitro is really good. This is the third week of the NWO's existence and they're hinting at more people joining (which was awesome at first, but it eventually killed the group with too many mediocre midcarders. It's funny, they're turning down people and beating their ass for not being good enough who'll later go on to join the group), but Bishoff was really smart to invest in cruiserweights. I'd watch those matches holding my breath with the sick moves they'd use. And they were still wrestlers and not "big spot" performers like today.

Vince was still pushing goofy cartoon characters on TV like it was 1988. They had a wrestler called the Goon, who was a hockey player who wore hockey gear and boots that resembled skates, and the poor guy could barely walk in them.

James

James wrote:

I've wondered if they should've branched out with the cruiserweights on a different show and kept it completely separate from the NWO programming.

Nothing else had a chance of getting over properly in that environment.

Last night II decided to take a break from NWA and switch over to WWF. Wasn't sure where to start so decided to go with late 86.

I immediately thought of this show being a great reintroduction...

What a great show. Felt sorry for kids without cable not getting to watch it. There was no other wrestling show like it...still isn't.

The unique comedic chemistry between Heenan and Monsoon, a recap of that week in wrestling, along with an assortment of house show matches.

If NWA was smart, they would've ripped off this concept for a show. They didn't have announcers to pull off the studio segments to that extent but they could've put something together. I'm surprised that TBS didn't demand it.

Hell...the TBS shows constantly hyped house shows. Wrestlers including Flair even mentioned specific cities and matches. Fans nationwide never got to see any of it.

If memory serves me correctly, Prime Time really hit its stride around late 87-early 88 in the leadup to WrestleMania 4. I might move forward and give that period a watch.

McMahon just knew how to run a national promotion. He made it feel major league.

I still can't hardly believe that no NWA wrestlers ever made the rounds to Carson, Letterman, Arsenio, etc.

Just a complete lack of vision, creativity, and competency on Crockett and Dusty's part.

I'm going off on a tangent...

Seeing an episode of Prime Time for the first time in eons just reminded me how NWA never even attempted getting such a show off the ground.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I love wrestling Prime Time. NWA had Gordon Solie do a recap/news show and he played it very straight, no comedy... That was the show I learned Brutus Beefcake was hurt in a boating accident. Gordon gave wrestling a lot of cred. I actually remember NWA titles changing hands at dark shows, so you always had to tune in.

James

James wrote:

I was surprised Crockett never hired Solie for the TBS shows. In hindsight it's a travesty that he went from being #1 in the 70s/early 80s with Georgia and Florida but when Crockett took over everything, he let those territories die on the vine.

Solie should've at least got the Sunday afternoon show.

I rarely ever watch it but it's surreal watching wrestling from the 70s to about 82.  It's a smorgasbord of wrestlers who would gain fame in WWF, NWA, and AWA. Piper vs Flair? Piper vs Valentine? Ole and Dusty a team? Ric Flair vs Andre? Ron Garvin vs Andre? List goes on and on.

It's also confusing...and it continued to be as a kid in the 80s.

Tony Schiavone:

"Welcome to the NWA on World Championship Wrestling!!"

Except it's really Mid-Atlantic. Georgia, Florida, Mid South, Kansas City, and World Class are also the NWA.

The territories became a clusterfuck business model as soon as one territory starts breaking away from the pack.

Board footer