You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The Wrestling thread

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

The Macho Man Bio was pretty crap. They go from Wrestlemania III to his feud with Hogan to him jumping to WCW. And why shit on his WCW run when that was pretty significant to his career (like his feud with DDP, which was awesome)? They literally said his run was only good in the eighties. Why put that piece of shit Bubba the Love Sponge on his bio, who did nothing but clown on him with Hogan his whole life -- and insult him for the entire show? Bleh. I did like they finally talked about Gorgeous George, which no other bio has talked about, and his steroid and drug use in the early 2000s.

I don't even want to watch it now.

How can they ignore his pre-WWF period? Don't want the public seeing him refining the character before he hits the big leagues?  WWF doesn't deserve the credit for everything.

Any Savage doc needs to include him piledriving Ricky Morton on the table.

They also should've mentioned how he initially wanted to play major league baseball before he got into wrestling.

If they're going to ignore huge chunks of time, the Grizzly Smith episode is going to suck.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

This wasn't Dark Side of The Ring, it was an WWE/A&E network thing. The DSOTR Macho/Elizabeth episode was pretty good. And in their defense, they did spend a good amount of time with his pre-WWF career, how he came up with his gimmick, his voice, "Oh, yeah" his baseball career, feud with Jerry Lawler, the Memphis invasion, but they just breezed through his WWF/WCW career. Vince McMahon was interviewed but they never asked him why he switched him to announcing, while everyone else said "Vince thought he didn't have anything left in the tank."

I might be jaded, you might like it, I just can't get over them having Bubba on the show, why they spent exactly twenty seconds about Sherri, nothing about his Macho King era, retirement and return, his Flair feud, leaving because he wanted a feud with HBK to help put him over and Vince squashing it. Nothing about his WCW championship run, NWO run, or the back injury during Spiderman that ended his career. I understand there's only so much time, but they could have left out all the stuff on Elizabeth and Lex (DSOTR already did that). It makes no sense. I wanted to hear more from Vince about their relationship, because Vince held a big grudge against him, but was devastated when he died.

The Roddy Piper episode was good, though. Hogan pretty much confirms Piper was raped/abused early in his career.

misterID

misterID wrote:

RIP New Jack, dead from a heart attack at 58. Absolutely insane wrestler.

James

James wrote:

Just saw that. Fucked up.

I was never a huge fan....he couldn't wrestle...but his charisma was off the charts and he made a wrestling career out of it.

In an alternate universe he's either an actor or a rapper.

He would've made it somehow, somewhere.

James

James wrote:

Gotta say something else about New Jack and the violence he would inflict on various wrestlers over the course of his career.

He's damn lucky he never had to face any genuine shooters. I know New Jack was a real bad ass...at least as a street fighter. Having said that, a real shooter like a Harley Race, Lou Thesz, Rick Rude, Savage, Haku, etc. would clean his clock on TV and it would've killed his heat and ended his career.

Imagine New Jack pulling a knife on Rude or Harley Race....he'd instantly regret doing it and Rude would shove that knife up his ass.

Imagine New Jack throwing someone like Savage off a scaffold. Savage would immediately start climbing back up to deal with it.

New Jack picked on and took advantage of weakness.

It will impact his legacy.

James

James wrote:

Watch that....

Then imagine him doing that to someone like Savage or Rude.

Edit

I just watched that again. Ugh. It's uncomfortable to watch.

Yes....he makes a crucial mistake by not selling for New Jack which causes the unnecessary beat down.

That wasn't how to handle it. Talk to him in the ring...maybe hit him a couple times to let him know who's boss.

If that doesn't clue him in.... just end the match.

There's only a handful of people there for fucks sake.

The whole thing is pointless.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I think his head was messed up, he suffered legit brain damage. I'm not sure if he really threw the guy off the scaffold, on the video it sure seems like the guy jumps but misjudged it. And no, he never wrestler a legit wrestler like Rude who would've cleaned his clock.

James

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think his head was messed up, he suffered legit brain damage. I'm not sure if he really threw the guy off the scaffold, on the video it sure seems like the guy jumps but misjudged it. And no, he never wrestler a legit wrestler like Rude who would've cleaned his clock.

He really played up his tough guy gangsta persona who gets away with murder. I think it spooked that whole ECW locker room and he took advantage of it.

He continued this on the Indy level and lucky for him, there were no Rudes or Savages to call his bluff.

Good point about the brain damage. Using all those weapons early in his career and the crazy falls had to take its toll.

James

James wrote:

Check this out. This looks to be Taylor's debut promo in WWF....

Other than the stupid and generic name, Scary.... really?.... it's obvious they're going to have him be a heel like Flair or Tully.

This would've been ok. It's taking over where he left off in UWF a year earlier.

I don't think this aired nationally. It probably aired in the NY-Boston area. I know I didn't see it.

Fast forward a couple weeks or so....

Whatever happened between Taylor and Vince happened between the promo above and this Brother Love skit.

Just brutal. They completely bury him and it's clearly intentional. There is no humor in this. They know exactly what they are doing...and Taylor looks uncomfortable.

After this is when the Red Rooster shit starts.

Poor Taylor. I don't care what he did behind the scenes....he didn't deserve that. I don't see why Vince even bothered. Why not just fire him instead of paying him a salary to humiliate him? It had to get old after a week or so and they dragged this out for what....two years or so?

It's pure cringe.

On the other hand.... Taylor didnt even try to make the Rooster gimmick work. He's just cashing his checks while putting in zero effort.

Had he tried to do something creative with it, such as being a madman like Backlund did years later with his heel turn, McMahon might have respected the valiant effort and rewarded him with a genuine push.

Taylor should've been smart enough to know that this shit gimmick is placing his entire wrestling career on the line.

Go big or go home....

Edit

This was Taylor's debut in the west coast market....his heel turn on Sam Houston....

misterID

misterID wrote:

His run in NWA was great, totally different persona. He was a fantastic heel.

Board footer