You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: The Wrestling thread

Axl S wrote:

The coercion of talent and then release when they later refused is bad shit. As is the harassment and unsolicited nudes. That could end him.

The "manager" mentioned in the article doesn't sound like it's a wrestling manager but is someone who worked at the company as a manager. If it were an on screen talent that's what they would say, the audience written for in these WSJ articles aren't wrestling fans -  they don't know the lingo.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:

So looks like the "PG Era" is over. Raw is TV-14 moving forward, starting Monday.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

This is crazy....

https://www.twitter.com/KXNGAO/status/1549166923220385793

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Vince McMahon retired???

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Oof.  WSJ must have been about to publish something bad on him to have him just "retire".  Rumors are that Brock Lesnar quit as well after hearing the news.  That's bad because he's in the main event at SummerSlam.

It's a good day, really.  I'm looking forward to how HHH and Stephanie (I assume) will book the shows.   They can't do any worse.  And HHH has that old WCW/NWA mentality.  I hope this means the end of the 50/50 booking and feuds that never end or go anywhere.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Nick Kahn is going to be co-CEO and I’ve heard he wants to sell to Disney. This is going to be interesting.

But yeah, something bad must’ve been on the horizon. I can’t see Vince sitting around not doing anything.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:

I'm not expecting any major change to the quality of the booking or the presentation in the short term. I'd guess they'll keep it steady and business as usual as much as possible for a short while. After that though... then I'll be interested to see what happens with the shows.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Wow.... literally the end of an era. Kinda scary when you think about it. Between present day and the nanosecond professional wrestling went mainstream 40 years ago, Vince McMahon was leading the charge.

I don't know anything about current wrestling but I would hope it can somehow evolve...or devolve.

I've said it for years but it needs to be said again now that an unprecedented chapter is here....

They need to attempt to go old school. Bring certain aspects of kayfabe back and treat it as a serious sport...even if the storylines get ridiculous.

While at the same time, maybe turn it into something that's more like a TV series.... including seasons.

If not willing to risk the big enchilada (WWE) on such a gamble, resurrect one of the dead promotion names they own......WCW, AWA, Mid Atlantic, Mid South, or even World Class and swing for the kayfabe fences.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:

There's a lot they could do to improve the product.

Treat it with some degree of seriousness. At the end of the day it's meant to be a simulation of an athletic contest, and these days whilst it's impressive to see what they can do, it often feels like a gymnastic spotfest.

Secondly, it needs some storylines where it feels like there are some real stakes. That would be helped if their belts mattered more, and if their main champions weren't absent all the time. I remember back when I watched when I was younger that a simple feud for PPVs was a match between two guys to be No.1 Contender for the next PPV -  I haven't seen that in years. It's simple and can be mixed with some storyline personal animosity, and can also allow for interesting situations on the TV show where those guys interact with whoever is going to be fighting for the belt at the show. Simple, uncomplicated stuff. Nowadays every angle seems to live in it's own self contained universe and each segment happens one after the other. Doesn't help that every angle they have nowadays is a snooze fest.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Axl S wrote:

There's a lot they could do to improve the product.

Treat it with some degree of seriousness. At the end of the day it's meant to be a simulation of an athletic contest, and these days whilst it's impressive to see what they can do, it often feels like a gymnastic spotfest.

Secondly, it needs some storylines where it feels like there are some real stakes. That would be helped if their belts mattered more, and if their main champions weren't absent all the time. I remember back when I watched when I was younger that a simple feud for PPVs was a match between two guys to be No.1 Contender for the next PPV -  I haven't seen that in years. It's simple and can be mixed with some storyline personal animosity, and can also allow for interesting situations on the TV show where those guys interact with whoever is going to be fighting for the belt at the show. Simple, uncomplicated stuff. Nowadays every angle seems to live in it's own self contained universe and each segment happens one after the other. Doesn't help that every angle they have nowadays is a snooze fest.

Great post.  Yeah, the psychology part of this seems gone.  Where in the old days you'd see someone like Bret Hart working over a body part and weakening it.  Also bring back the word wrestling and shit can crap like the WWE Universe.  Also stop the finisher spamming and kicking out of the other guy's finisher.  That's been a big problem for years.

The titles don't really matter since they are ping ponged back and forth.  It's a shame that Cody Rhodes got injured because he was the one guy who I thought yeah, the title MATTERS to him with his entire backstory and promos.  Also, I just don't think these guys know how to cut promos anymore for the most part.  Shit, one of the guys who I think "gets it" and has a real throwback persona to him in terms of the over the topness that is pro wrestling is the announcer Pat McAfee.  Did you see him at Wrestlemania?  Totally gets the "spectacle" aspect of it.  Too bad he'll never be a regular wrestler as the WWE stuff is a side gig for him.

And yeah, there are no stakes or intensity in it (or the guys in these programs just don't sell this well enough).  That and they seem to recycle storylines a bunch.  I can't count how many times Wrestler X vs Authority figure has been done (basically a redux of Austin vs Mcmahon).

Board footer