You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: The Wrestling thread

misterID wrote:

I thought Daniel Bryant was hilarious last night. I'm kind of digging the CM Punk, Cena, Big Show and Bryant angle. I'd like them to add Randy Orton in a fatal four-way at SS.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think it has to do with Linda McMahon running for senate.

The WWE recently signed a huge toy contract much needed for a fusion of cash to come on.

So McMahon has been forced to extend and continue this PG-rated run, in order to sell toys and be more kid and family friendly, ala the 80's.

That's the official story.

Problem is, the WWE had no problem selling toys in the late 90's/early 2000's, when the Attitude Era was in full swing.

So yeah, I lean to Linda running for office, combined with the fact we are in an EVEN MORE politically correct climate in 2012, than we were in 2002.  You can't get away with on TV today, what you did 10-15 years ago. I know, it's strange. Sitcoms are dirtier than ever, but if you call someone "black", when they actually are -- it's hate speech.

So I think the WWE can't pull some of the same antics they did before on USA Network, plus the Linda thing. I mean in 1999, USA's flagship was the TV show "Silk Stalkings" and Stone Cold. Now it's "Burn Notice" and John Cena. That alone shows the tamer quality of TV today compared to then.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

The dedication you guys have to follow this stuff is impressive. I gave up on it years and years ago. Was a big fan of the Undertaker and Stone Cold, but lost interest over time. Honestly, when they added Smackdown I started to lose interest. Takes a lot more effort to keep up with two shows per week instead of just one.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think it has to do with Linda McMahon running for senate.

The WWE recently signed a huge toy contract much needed for a fusion of cash to come on.

So McMahon has been forced to extend and continue this PG-rated run, in order to sell toys and be more kid and family friendly, ala the 80's.

That's the official story.

Problem is, the WWE had no problem selling toys in the late 90's/early 2000's, when the Attitude Era was in full swing.

So yeah, I lean to Linda running for office, combined with the fact we are in an EVEN MORE politically correct climate in 2012, than we were in 2002.  You can't get away with on TV today, what you did 10-15 years ago. I know, it's strange. Sitcoms are dirtier than ever, but if you call someone "black", when they actually are -- it's hate speech.

So I think the WWE can't pull some of the same antics they did before on USA Network, plus the Linda thing. I mean in 1999, USA's flagship was the TV show "Silk Stalkings" and Stone Cold. Now it's "Burn Notice" and John Cena. That alone shows the tamer quality of TV today compared to then.

They're also developing a Saturday morning cartoon show.  To be honest, I don't have a problem with them going to a less hardcore route for the matches. 

What I do have a huge issue with is the fact that the matches and characters bore the shit out of me.  I caught the last two matches of Summerslam and they were fair.  I mean none of the matches were awful but at the same point they were just matches.  There was nothing special about them.  You know there's a problem with your booking/writing when the heel of one of the matches gets cheered (CM Punk) and the face gets showered with boos (Cena).  Or the fact that the fans chant "you tapped out" to the face (HHH) of the main event.

I did find it interesting that Daniel Bryan and CM Punk got the two biggest pops of the night.

You know you have a problem when Paul Heyman is one of the top heat drawers in your company.

For those who watch regulary:  do people give a shit about twitter or this tout thing they've been hyping?  Seems like a waste of time if they don't improve or add to the ratings.

On the Linda McMahon senate run--at least Vince is smart enough to only blow 10-15 million this time around instead of the 40-50 million that he wasted last time.

tejastech08 wrote:

The dedication you guys have to follow this stuff is impressive. I gave up on it years and years ago. Was a big fan of the Undertaker and Stone Cold, but lost interest over time. Honestly, when they added Smackdown I started to lose interest. Takes a lot more effort to keep up with two shows per week instead of just one.

I rarely watch now but only do so on occasion out of habit.  Once football season starts I'll just start to read the results.  I knew it was a bad sign for my wrestling viewing habits when I opted to watch a shitty SNF game instead of a WWE ppv.

And if the material were better I wouldn't be bothered by two shows.  They've also extended RAW to three hours which is a major time commitment even if you are a hardcore fan.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Vince has invested a lot of money in Tout.

And good God... Cena title push??? AGAIN??????

A number of local advertisements for house shows are promoting main events between CM Punk and John Cena through the end of the year, suggesting that their feud may well continue until The Rock steps in for the Royal Rumble.

– It appears as though WWE has pushed the John Cena WWE title win back until the Night of Champions pay-per-view. As of several weeks ago, the plan was for John Cena to hold the WWE title going into the Royal Rumble pay-per-view. There would be a Rock vs. Cena WrestleMania 28 rematch at the Royal Rumble where The Rock would win the title and then go on to face CM Punk at WrestleMania 29. The original plan called for Cena to win the WWE title at SummerSlam but it now looks like that’ll be happening at Night of Champions or at another pay-per-view prior to the Royal Rumble. There is a possibility that Jerry Lawler will be involved in the match as well (guest ref.?) but that is not confirmed by an means. It’s also possible they’ll do a CM Punk vs. Jerry Lawler match on RAW instead. Again, that is not confirmed. The only thing we know is John Cena is expected to have the WWE title going into the Royal Rumble followed by a Rock win there and then a match featuring The Rock and CM Punk for the WWE title at WrestleMania 29. As always, plans can change so stay tuned to the site for more.

– As seen on RAW this week, Chris Jericho lost to Dolph Ziggler and according to the stipulations of the match, his contract was nullified. Jericho is stepping away from the company to tour with Fozzy for the rest of the summer as we’ve been reporting.

They couldn't have a Brock/CM Punk feud?

Seriously, let Punk reform the nWo like Nash has been pitching to the company. Anything but dragging out another Cena title run.

AtariLegend wrote:

They need to get to Cena/Rock II somehow, it's better that it happens at Royal Rumble than at Wrestlemania. Though that would imply Cena wouldn't be getting his win back.

Lesnar/Punk probably won't happen soon. Punk's a heel and Lesnar doesn't need lose before his inevitable match with Taker.

Worst that could happen now for Lesnar is jobbing to Triple H in a rematch, no one has any interest in.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

Vince has invested a lot of money in Tout.

And good God... Cena title push??? AGAIN??????

Does it matter?  I mean he doesn't have the title and he's still in the main event at the PPV's and at the center of the storylines on RAW.  At this point, I'd just wish he'd go away for a short period of time so I don't have to watch his shitty Cena overcomes the odds matches.

AtariLegend wrote:

They need to get to Cena/Rock II somehow, it's better that it happens at Royal Rumble than at Wrestlemania. Though that would imply Cena wouldn't be getting his win back.

Lesnar/Punk probably won't happen soon. Punk's a heel and Lesnar doesn't need lose before his inevitable match with Taker.

Worst that could happen now for Lesnar is jobbing to Triple H in a rematch, no one has any interest in.

Rock vs Punk at Wrestlemania would be far more appealing than Cena/Rock II so I hope that the scenario plays out.

Lesnar/Undertaker just needs to happen since Undertaker is getting old and a once a year performer.  They need to just unleash Lesnar though, most of his move have been setups for his submission hold.  They must forgotten that he was a pretty good wrestler when he was in WWE the first time.

HHH-Lesnar II--zzzzzz.  No need for that to happen at all.  Unless they want to hear the crowd shit on HHH again.  The guy just isn't a face and his matches have followed a similar bland pattern.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I seriously think HHH believes he's doing the business a favor by continuing to wrestle. It actually has more to do with lack of talent and horrible writing and concepts, which he and his wife are a part of. I think he's much better in a "Vince McMahon" type role. He could have had a wonderful feud with Punk, but he decided to bury the dude and not work it.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Nice to see Punk blade last night.

Is it me, or do you think Lawler was really pissed about the "nobodies" comment? I ost all respect for Lawler when I found out that he poured real whiskey in Jake The Snake's face when they had that angle and Jake was legit trying to go straight. I've always heard Lawler is a big prick.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Nobody on the current roster other than Triple H can carry a story. CM Punk's character ha sbecome totally ridiculous, John Cena is fucking lame. Modern day Hulk Hogan with an ounce of the charisma. Wrestling Blows. If Triple H is done then I'm effectively done.

Lesnar's character sucks. I hate the whole MMA Kimora angle. The guy si a beast and just cause he was in UFC they play the angle that he's a submission master. Fuck off. Lesnar vs Taker will happen and if Lesnar is the one to beat Taker's streak it'll be a total sham considering the last four years they had the opportunity to end it with either HBK or HHH. Having a guy like Lesnar break it would be so lame.

In fact I think they missed a great opportunity to have HHH break the streak when HBK hit Taker with sweet chin music and HHH followed it up with a  Pedigree. Having Taker win after that was kinda lame.

All in all wrestling pretty much sucks without HBK, Triple H and Taker.

Board footer