You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: The Wrestling thread

Axlin16 wrote:

Hogan's former friend Bubba The Love Sponge pretty much said it all about Hogan when Hogan sued Bubba recently... "when he's broke or irrelevant -- he sues". That simply sums it all up about Terry. The man literally sues for AN-Y-THING.

As for Austin, it's a real shame how much time McMahon squandared with him. He pretty much said 3-4 years ago he was ready to go to give a major push to Randy Orton or CM Punk or both, if and when they were ready. Austin wanted to do it, just wanted to only come back to push a younger guy.

Then

*crickets*

I have no clue why it was left to absolutely nothing. Austin said full well he'd job to them if that's what it took. Maybe Vince thought the Austin brand would stay stronger if Austin just stayed retired.

I agree the Austin comeback moment has been lost at this point. He's too old. There's no way I could see him coming back for the 2 year run he hinted at 3 years ago.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I really don't trust Austin, tbh. He's fucked Vince over a lot of times and got away with more shit than any other wrestler working for Vince ever. And that includes Shawn Michaels. He had complete control of his character and liked the comedy stuff. I think he just got bored with wrestling a long time ago and doesn't really care. I still like him, I think he's a good dude (you know, like Axl is) but he's probably a nightmare to deal with.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

The difference between Austin and Axl (they and the GN'R situation have eerie parallels), is that Austin was a far hard worker than Axl. Vince might not be able to trust Austin's opinion on how to a work an angle, but Vince could absolutely trust that Austin when he worked, stayed on the road and busted his ass, even if he had to down every Steveweiser and Vicodin to be there, something Axl is erratic at doing.

Austin only started pulling shit on Vince, when Vince had him working dumb ass angles that were burying his character. I don't blame him. HE and NOT WWE creative, HE worked very hard to create the Stone Cold character and no one else. I thought it was bullshit when Vince pulled the "I own the Stone Cold character" card on him, because that was solely Austin's creation. He practically wrote his own material for years, because he absolutely hated WWE creative, and still hates them, and thinks most wrestlers have better ideas for a work than the actual writers (and usually he's right).

The fact alone that Vince had Austin working with Scott Hall when Vince bought WCW was the bullshit moment of the century. Literally, like what the fuck. Everyone knew even then that there was only one card in the house everyone wanted to see that that was Heel Hogan ("Hollywood") vs. babyface WWF Austin 3:16. The fact that it didn't happen when Hogan could still do a decent work, Austin was still in shape and in his prime, I blame solely on Vince leaving too many creative moves in the hands of his kids. Just a MASSIVE missed opportunity. People are gonna blame Hogan and/or Austin for neither wanting to job to the other, but I blame Vince for not wanting to job to the fans. Everyone wanted that card. You could see Austin's frustration with the company at that point bleeding over into the material how much he hated working with Scott Hall. Not the man, but the character. He knew it was a dumb play. But he did it.

I don't blame him for working after that. It was entirely mishandled. And the fact that to this day, Vince, HHH, JR, Steph, etc. all think Austin made the wrong move walking away, I always saw it as the only move he could make to voice his displeasure. He'd been complaining for months, and no one really stepped in. The only card he had left to play was to just "take his ball and go home".

Axl has no quality about him like that. He'll take his ball and go home, before he ever even attempts to work. Austin will at least attempt to roll up his sleeves and come to a compromise.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Just my opinion here but does anyone else find it ironic that the one guy who came back and basically jobbed to everyone and anyone and then even jobbed to Hogan when he never should have was HBK.  When HBK came back he fucking lost to everyone even Shane 16 I mean after he won the heavyweight title in the elimination chamber he pretty much lost to everyone after that. Yeah he beat Ric Flair but that was how it should've been but aside from that he jobbed and lost to almost everyone he fought.

I think a CM Punk vs original DX HBK would've been cool.

misterID

misterID wrote:

That's true, Bono.

Axlin, Steve NO SHOWED events. He NO SHOWED RAW shows. Vince had to break character on national TV, as did Jim Ross, to explain why Steve wasn't there. He refused to job to people. He refused to put people over. He had a worse streak than Hogan about not wanting to put people over. He forced his wife into storylines. They supported and babied him after he was arrested for beating his wife, doing drugs, steroids, showing up drunk, his nervous breakdowns, anxiety attacks, you name it. Steve Austin is a headcase and is a hard worker when he wants to be. A lot of this can be pointed at his neck injury Owen Heart gave him, because he was never really the same after that. I've heard it was a constant walk on eggshells with him because he was so unpredictable. Not in a violent way, but more, taking his ball and going home. Even three seconds to air time.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I still think all of that can be contributed to not having more creative control. I would call it unprofessional, but i'm sorry... Austin jobbing to Lesnar with no setup... I would've fucking no showed too.

Just the way I see it.

I did hate the Debra stuff, and obviously thought it was forced. Debra was talentless imo, but Steve wasn't the only one that did it either. Jerry Lawler was another. I think the longevity and popularity of those Steve-written bits during that 2001-02 period pretty much has vindicated that he was right all these years.

The drunk thing... seriously? It was apart of his schtick. The fans adored it, he knew it, and even if he did it he gave the audience it's money's worth. I understand the crew wants to go home 2-3 hours after the show, and Steve is a selfish prick and stays out there shootin' and drinkin' and getting wasted, but I think the audience and their dollar is more important. He's entertaining. It's just good business.

He's Axl. Or the Elvis of wrasslin'. And although he seems like a headcase, the dude was a total rockstar.

And as for "he refused to job to anyone"... I have literally no clue what you're talking about. I saw TONS and TONS of Austin  losses. The dude basically put The Rock on the map. Even The Rock said that, and it's because he jobbed to him.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Rock had to job to Austin way before that. Remember their feud when Austin was IC champion, plus their battles for the championship? They had/have a very personal relationship. Rock did his fair share of jobbing. And Austin had a crazy contract where he DID have control over his character.

AtariLegend wrote:

Sorry misterid, um...

Rock was midcard heel at that time? He wasn't the face of the company, of course Austin was going to win. ...And Wrestlemania 15? 1999. Austin was the face of company going against corporate heel champion. The only time before Wrestlemania 19 they ever faced each other once when both were faces was at Wrestlemania 17. Austin Heel turn when he needed Vince's help and 20 chair shots to stop Rock.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Without Stone Cold, it would be called WCW

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
-D- wrote:

Without Stone Cold, it would be called WCW

Nope. Austin was a big player but he was never that big or that important. He wasn't the difference between WWF going under or not.

It was a group effort. WWF had the better stars going forward and it shows. Rock, Austin, Taker, HHH, HBK, New Age Outlaws,  Foley, etc etc  WCW may have had the long time legends but they didn't have  a new generation of true mega stars. WWF did and time shows that to be the case. Like I said Austin was a big player but they all were. WWF had better rivalries, better strorylines, better wrestling when it came to their top tier guys.  As the total package even if WCW took the lead in ratings for a while it was never gonna win in the long run.

Board footer