You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The Wrestling thread

AtariLegend wrote:

The network means literally even if Raw got cancelled and hardly anyone went to the live shows they could still survive.

In their mind they've won, they can do almost anything now for several years and not be in danger. They only thing that could make a difference now is crashing subscriber numbers, but it's a very complicated thing considering the world wide numbers.

I do like AJ and Owens for example, but I'm not going to tune into a product to watch them fight the same people twice a week for months on end when they've conditioned the audience now that wins don't matter. The problem is that if they lose 50% of the time no one cares.

They're are literally more concerned with corporate advertising these days and social media (where kafable doesn't matter) than anything else.

Stephanie literally said a while back that philanthropy is the marketing of the future. So in other words she just told the world that everything they do for charity is to promote themselves.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I guess I meant their last legs of popularity. They've had lower ratings than the dark period of the pre attitude era. They've taken everything everyone loved about wrestling and shit canned it. Down to not signing the Indy circuit wrestlers that know how to get over, instead doing in house bullshit. Its sad. Ring Of Honor is fun, but nowhere near what it needs to be.

AtariLegend wrote:

My reaction as I began to realize Bryan's retirement isn't a work.

AtariLegend wrote:

That opening segment was a tremendous swerve.

Only problem now is, they're not actually going to have Shane vs. Taker in a Hell in a Cell match at Mania now? Are they?

Yikes they better have an equally good swerve of a representative for Shane instead.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Did anyone watch the ending of Raw last night?  That was hilarious for all the wrong reasons.  I don't know which one was my favorite chant--the YES one or One More Time after HHH gives Reigns a pedigree on the steps.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

They've taken everything everyone loved about wrestling and shit canned it.

Yep.

I know everyone loved the Attitude/NWO era and it was interesting, but I knew back then that while wrestling was very popular at the moment, it would NEVER recover from it. You CANNOT let the crowd in on the joke. You just cant. They did, and while it made wrestling a bit different seeing it from that perspective, they would never be able to sustain the interest.

I'm with Arn Anderson...destroy kayfabe=destroying wrestling.

Nice job Vince and Eric. For short term gains you destroyed it.

Everything that was wonderful about wrestling required that momentary suspension of disbelief to sustain interest. Its why people of all ages enjoyed it. A 10 year old and a 60 year old could both be in the same room glued to the television in suspense of what's going to happen. THat could NEVER happen now.

Matches don't matter

Titles don't matter

so its all worthless.

misterID wrote:

I think WWE is on its last legs

Mark my words...by the end of the decade, professional wrestling will not exist.

There's no reason for it to exist. Too many things in today's culture for it to compete with. Sports fans can watch UFC, MMA, etc. Soap opera fans can watch soap operas.

The network means literally even if Raw got cancelled and hardly anyone went to the live shows they could still survive.

Yeah...people watching all the old archived footage.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I know everyone loved the Attitude/NWO era and it was interesting, but I knew back then that while wrestling was very popular at the moment, it would NEVER recover from it. You CANNOT let the crowd in on the joke. You just cant. They did, and while it made wrestling a bit different seeing it from that perspective, they would never be able to sustain the interest.

I'm with Arn Anderson...destroy kayfabe=destroying wrestling.

Nice job Vince and Eric. For short term gains you destroyed it.

Everything that was wonderful about wrestling required that momentary suspension of disbelief to sustain interest. Its why people of all ages enjoyed it. A 10 year old and a 60 year old could both be in the same room glued to the television in suspense of what's going to happen. THat could NEVER happen now.

Matches don't matter

Titles don't matter

so its all worthless.

Sadly I agree with this.  It's just different watching this stuff now.  I don't think it has anything to do with me getting older.  The presentation of the product is just so weird.  It's like they totally de-emphasized the sport/competition aspect of it.  Add in that they can't write for shit nowdays and that's why it's a huge giant turd.

Just looking at the ratings, they only pop a decent rating on the Raw after Wrestlemania.  Their ratings have basically flatlined in the 3 million viewers range.  This will get them lowballed when they go to renegotiate their deal with USA.

AtariLegend wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Did anyone watch the ending of Raw last night?  That was hilarious for all the wrong reasons.  I don't know which one was my favorite chant--the YES one or One More Time after HHH gives Reigns a pedigree on the steps.

I know some try to blame it on booking and how bad the material Reigns has been given, but let's face it...

He was the wrong choice. He can't wrestle a decent match longer than 10 minutes without being carried. He barely has any moves, he can't cut a promo. He isn't believable or like-able. The only people that care are the screaming girlfriends/wifes that got brought by their husbands/boyfriends. He's only got a big crowd pop once as a single star on TV. He's booked like John Cena without the charisma. He's the anti Bryan Danielson (the most over regular wrestler of this generation). He isn't a ratings draw.

They keep giving him chance after chance. Despite the fact that the social media they keep pushing has cancelwwenetwork# trending everytime he get's a big win.

When even the internet fans that hate Triple H are desperate for him to win, you should admit a mistake was made.

AtariLegend wrote:

Hogan just won a trial for $115 million against Gawker for the sex tape they posted. I assume no one here's been following along with it, but it's been the kind of comical disastrous defense by Gawker that you could make a movie out of.

Their defense is that it was in people's interest and even had one of their reps basically say only sex tapes of celebrities under 4 years old are off limits (he apparently thought it'd be funny, no one else did) while testifying.

AtariLegend wrote:

Watching Undertaker sell for Shane is uncomfortable.

Board footer