You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: The Wrestling thread

misterID wrote:

What's the deal with Punk? His UFC fights keep getting pushed back and there are rumors he's never going to get cleared. I think the whole thing is sad. He's the same age as me, and I haven't had near the injuries he's had, it's a bit late in the game to decided to take up a sport like that. Like football, boxing, soccer, you really need a good lifetime of training to get your body and muscle memory in the kind of shape to make a career out of it. It's why it's so difficult for athletes to jump sports (except baseball, but c'mon). I just think if he does have a fight it will be a disaster.

AtariLegend wrote:

He was set to face Mickey Gall who had to win a fight to be Punk's first opponent. Basically the fight supposedly would have been happening before UFC 200, anyway Punk got injured and was told he needed surgery by his doctor shortly after the fight was to be booked. Fight has been pushed back to later in the year at least.

Some conspiracy theories that it was a cover story, but well maybe it's just paranoia. Gall though is someone who just started their career and is only 2-0. Supposedly he looked like he'd destroy Punk in the fight he had to earn the Punk match. Punk had 16 practice fights, he lost 15 of them allegedly

It's obviously just a bucket list thing. He's getting annihilated if the rumors are true, but he's and UFC are going to make alot of money of the first few fights if they happen.

Personally - I'd guess he has one fight then retires regardless of if he wins/losses. The UFC contract was for 8 fights, there's no way that's happening.

AtariLegend wrote:

So this weekend they're going to legitimately break their attendance record. 85,000 tickets sold... but they'll probably say over 100K.

The previous legitimate record was 80,000 + at Summerslam 1992 at Wembley, but they claim that was only the 3rd.

They claimed it was 93,000 + at Mania 3, but it was only 78K. Also claimed Mania 29 at Met Life sold 80K + (slightly more than Summerslam 1992), but that's an exaggeration too.

They generally/almost always say there's several thousand more at least than there is. Not that the attendance figures aren't high to begin with. The thing is though, if they really want to set an indoor attendance record this year (worked) they'll have to lie by 23K +. The  AT&T Stadium record where they are this weekend is 108,713.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Punk will never be in UFC.

All of the momentum has been lost, and all of it is cover story. They're just hoping people forget it and it eventually goes away.

All of that hot iron of his announcement has been lost, and there's obviously more to the story behind the scenes. I think he got his ass handed to him in practice bouts and could never really get to where he needed to be physically.

Either way, Punk is done with the UFC thing. Wonder if any of them will ever admit it's a big wash.

misterID

misterID wrote:

How the hell are they still getting attendance like that when the ratings are so terrible?

As for Punk, I think his pride will send him into the octagon no matter what, even if he knows he'll get a vicious beat down.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

How the hell are they still getting attendance like that when the ratings are so terrible?

A lot of this is the "casual" fanbase.  They go to see the spectacle of a Wrestlemania and for better or worse WWE usually delivers on that aspect.  Match card + feuds don't really matter in this case.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

As for Punk, I think his pride will send him into the octagon no matter what, even if he knows he'll get a vicious beat down.

I want him to fight Rousey. He'd win. Somebody to shut her the fuck up. I'm sick of her.

To quote a wise man...

"You are a stupid mother fucker! You just got the shit kicked out of you, and you keep asking for more?!?!"

axl92

misterID

misterID wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

A lot of this is the "casual" fanbase.  They go to see the spectacle of a Wrestlemania and for better or worse WWE usually delivers on that aspect.  Match card + feuds don't really matter in this case.

I can see that. And they do a good job of making it a week long experience like the NFL does with the SB. But I'll be damned if I'm forking over that kind of cash for those matches. HBK made it worth the price no matter who he faced. They don't have that guy anymore.

AtariLegend wrote:

I think he'll still get his 1 fight and lose too. I'm a Punk fan too, but this was really a bad idea.

They still get people attending, because people grew up on Wrestling and they passed it on to their kids. It's a new generation of fans that are okay with what they get, even though the core base has been drive off bit by bit. Attendance figures outside Wrestlemania aren't as high as they used to be.

One last thing, Nakamura's debut tonight (who actually does have a decent legit MMA record) was magical. The guy is a star, he's not a indie wrestler. One of the most over people in the company before his music hit, charismatic a legit (wrestling Observer) 5 star match machine. He's too good for this company, they'll see someone who has the potential to be more over than Bryan and attempt to bury him because he's Japaneses.

AtariLegend wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

I want him to fight Rousey. He'd win. Somebody to shut her the fuck up. I'm sick of her.

To quote a wise man...

"You are a stupid mother fucker! You just got the shit kicked out of you, and you keep asking for more?!?!"

axl92

Rousey is more likely to have a WWE run than he is a UFC run. She would have been there this year if Dana White allowed it.

As for her personality, I disagree with you Axlin tongue. UFC fighters draw more based upon their personality/promo's than actually being good. You could say that about boxing too, but UFC is closer to WWF.

Their buy rates btw for their PPV's have been huge recently. It's proof to WWE that if they had promoted things right and put on exciting events, people would still buy them.

Board footer