You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: favorite axl moment ( the gnrevolution version )

Sky Dog wrote:

Well, the Sex Pistols, The Clash, and the entire punk movement weren't too fond of Zeppelin, Floyd and The Stones in '77. It is the nature of the beast. Once your on top, everyone is trying to knock you down. hmm

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

russtcb wrote:

That's the one I like that no one else seems to.

I think that it's absolutely fantastic.

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:

my fav moment would have to be at Rock In Rio III in 2001, when after a song axl tells the camera guy "get this fucking thing out my way, cause its expensive and Im not going to pay for it"

or Phoenix 96 when called airport security "little people on a power trip"

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

My favorite Axl moment and Gnr moment was Farm Aid..

Same here.

Who else in 1990 but Axl Rose can walk onstage at an event like that and play 2 unknown songs?

The band also never looked any cooler.

In hindsight, the original line up could not have picked a better final performance.

Other highlights...

Entire concert I saw in Mountain View in 91 before Izzy bailed. Just an epic show. Cool moment was when Axl grabbed a joint from the crowd and started smoking it during Civil War.

Was also one of the few shows Izzy sang DTJ. They also did a slight reggae jam during Civil War. Still not sure if this was an accident as we know they do it during KOHD.

Slash also played most of Voodoo Child.

The boot that surfaced years later was cut to shit. I hate hoarders, especially those of live boots.

Axl at the 89 VMA's was one of my all time favorite moments.

The Axl/Bruce rendition of Come Together was insanely cool and is shocking its his only performance in the 90s post UYI tour and when he disappeared for a few years. Guy had balls. Walked up to Bruce asking him to do it. A total impromptu jam that wasn't rehearsed.

The Loder interview he did on MTV where he mentioned Coma was great. Guy is a great interview when he lacks yes men and agendas.

I also liked how he was a constant supporter of Izzy. Izzy was low key, and Axl made sure to frequently rave on his status/position in the band.

I just loved his attitude back in those days. minus the lame rants. Like Izzy said in 1991, "We could blow any band off the stage, and we knew it". I think Axl fed off this and played a role in those out of this world performances.

That Albany rant is disgusting. Was in no shape to tour, and the tour imploded days after that rant. Not a coincidence.

Soundgarden supposedly took a heavy load of shit from their peers for opening for GN'R on some of the UYI tour.

While true, Axl loved Soundgarden and I think that helped get them to the big time. It exposed quite a few people to that band, although I was already listening to them at that point. In fact, Axl if you read this, thanks for mentioning Soundgarden in those 1989 interviews and saying how amazing Cornell was. Played a big role in me diving into the band's discog at the time.

That Ritz show is just off the hook. Axl in a meth/coke fueled zone and no one will ever top his intensity on stage 87-91.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

For me I would classify these into a few catagories:

MUSICAL:

Well obviously the real reason most of us like GNR is the music. So some of my current favourites:

* The high parts in "T.W.A.T."
* The voices Axl uses in "You're Crazy"
* Those screams he does with Sebastian Bach on the "Back in the Saddle" cover on Angel Down.

But i can't really pick and choose cos I love ALL of GNR. Even the "filler" tracks others speak of!

PEFORMANCE MOMENTS:

* Ritz 88 was killer

* That live footage from Gakk or whatever its called with Metallica and GNR and they're playing "Hair of the Dog" - gives you a small sample of the intensity Axl has live even though its a video.

* That boot of "perfect crime" where Axl just goes wild.

* The "Do you Know where the fuck you are" scream he did for Roskilde Festival 2007 - just sounded fucking killer.......for me this was a "he still has it" moment....

* Some of the footage of got of IRS live where he looks so pasionately into the song. I'd love to see more CD footage for this reason.

THE ANTICS:

While the OP will call these childish, for me they can make me smile just because of the consistancy of it, like I grew up watching all this trouble surround Axl, and when it does happen still....it feels somewhat familiar...(although of course I dont wish him any harm given for him these are real situations).

* RIR3 - I'm looking at the new band, buckehead, Robin looks wierd, I can't recgonise anyone on stage at the time, even axl looks and sounds different than I remember, i'm thinking "is that even Axl??? Is this GNR??" then two songs in, "get that guy out of here, are you listening to me mr security man, that guy, throw him" - or whatever it was - and I couldn't help but go..."ok...yeah guess that is Axl". lol

* News report that Axl was arrested in 06 or 07 or whatever it was for biting that security guard. Obviously it's bad that that incident occured...but the biting sort of made me laugh...i've always seen Axl as talented but very wild and passionate...and the biting made me realise that he might be older now but that one shouldn't count him as done just yet.

* The Axl Chat. Firstly that his first post was calling that guy out. Pretty classic axl, but then how he went on to discuss the meanings behind the songs and generally interact pretty openly with fans was great.

*The Eddie Trunk. That night was just kind of magical. The anticipation when Baz gets him on the fone. The secret rehersals for hammerstein. Comming in and talking for hours after having been silent for so long, and sharing such personal stories and anicidotes. I felt that interview really showed the 'friendly' side of his personality well. (Like the media usually focuses on him when there's a fight or something) - But this was like an impression of what it might be to hang out with Axl having a beer and a chillded out good time, and some great tails of past events and future plans that night too. Very awesome.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:
Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:
russtcb wrote:

That's the one I like that no one else seems to.

I think that it's absolutely fantastic.

I think because, like James said, the tour basically ended soon after, it sort of taints it. Instead of being a release and a mini tell-all, it just looks like a guy loosing his shitz0r on stage and imploding. Not a triumph, just sort of scary.

Funny, though. I wonder if he listened/s to Richard Pryor routines.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
madagas wrote:

My favorite Axl moment and Gnr moment was Farm Aid..

Same here.

Who else in 1990 but Axl Rose can walk onstage at an event like that and play 2 unknown songs?

The band also never looked any cooler.

In hindsight, the original line up could not have picked a better final performance.

Other highlights...

Entire concert I saw in Mountain View in 91 before Izzy bailed. Just an epic show. Cool moment was when Axl grabbed a joint from the crowd and started smoking it during Civil War.

Was also one of the few shows Izzy sang DTJ. They also did a slight reggae jam during Civil War. Still not sure if this was an accident as we know they do it during KOHD.

Slash also played most of Voodoo Child.

The boot that surfaced years later was cut to shit. I hate hoarders, especially those of live boots.

Axl at the 89 VMA's was one of my all time favorite moments.

The Axl/Bruce rendition of Come Together was insanely cool and is shocking its his only performance in the 90s post UYI tour and when he disappeared for a few years. Guy had balls. Walked up to Bruce asking him to do it. A total impromptu jam that wasn't rehearsed.

The Loder interview he did on MTV where he mentioned Coma was great. Guy is a great interview when he lacks yes men and agendas.

I also liked how he was a constant supporter of Izzy. Izzy was low key, and Axl made sure to frequently rave on his status/position in the band.

I just loved his attitude back in those days. minus the lame rants. Like Izzy said in 1991, "We could blow any band off the stage, and we knew it". I think Axl fed off this and played a role in those out of this world performances.

That Albany rant is disgusting. Was in no shape to tour, and the tour imploded days after that rant. Not a coincidence.

Soundgarden supposedly took a heavy load of shit from their peers for opening for GN'R on some of the UYI tour.

While true, Axl loved Soundgarden and I think that helped get them to the big time. It exposed quite a few people to that band, although I was already listening to them at that point. In fact, Axl if you read this, thanks for mentioning Soundgarden in those 1989 interviews and saying how amazing Cornell was. Played a big role in me diving into the band's discog at the time.

That Ritz show is just off the hook. Axl in a meth/coke fueled zone and no one will ever top his intensity on stage 87-91.

Axl/Petty and Axl-Izzy/Stones was insanely cool as was Axl/Elton and Axl/Queen doing We Will Rock You. Wow. He was damn good back in the day. 18:haha:

Board footer