You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: DJ Ashba

James wrote:

I don't really give two shits about him either. What little I heard from him just isn't my cup of tea. However, he still deserves a chance and I wont completely discount him until I see what he brings to the table.

I usually wait before passing full judgment. 16 I rain on the Fortus parade because he brought nothing to the table and the cult of personality surrounding him was absurd. Didn't like Ron when he first joined and thought his solo material I heard at the time was horrific. He won me over with his attitude towards this site(here and the old one) and I liked some of his contributions on the album.

Is the OP a subtle hint for Evo to add Ashba to the sidebar? 16

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

I think Ashba may help some with the AFD material, after that.....don't know.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Is the OP a subtle hint for Evo to add Ashba to the sidebar? 16

big_smile Quite Possibily big_smile

Although I know right now I'm the only Ashba nutswinger who wants it, so I can't expect too much!

One thing I like about EVO is how there's a focus on all things GNR related in some way, from the original guys, to bucket, to the current band, so I guess I just wanted to make a thread to post random DJ news to when stuff comes up.

russtcb wrote:

My brother loves the Sixx:AM cd and he spent a good deal of time at breakfast this morning explaining to me why he thinks DJ is going to be a bad fit for GNR.

Interesting dude. What was the basis of it? Was he talking about potential writing style if that happened or more from the live point of view?

My theory, (and it remains a theory until we see how he is on stage) is that DJ might bring back a little bit of the LA Sleaze Rock kind of sound that's been somewhat missing from the newer GNR.

Like the bucket/bumble roll was to add in the freakshow guitar, the crazy shit, the insane speed, the taps, the fretless, the killswitch, the kind of odd ball unusual shit that they do so well. So that part of things is covered.

Meanwhile Slash used to hit up the blues style solos, and while elements of Robin's playing in certain songs were clearly bluesy as well, his overall style and technique was just so industrial and modern that I'd felt something was different about the AFD tracks and so forth.

Now ashba has potential to be a good blend I think. He's a modern enough player, I've seen him do some crazy stuff at a line 6 demo online, that I think he'll be able to capture enough of the modern and industrial sounds robin hits without it being too oldball for him.

Yet his influences and background seems very LA, very Motley Crue, very blues sleaze rock in the AFD style. He's a sort of second generation version of one of those rockers I think, in that he's not from the era, but he's clearly impressed by it and modleded himself after it. So to me I see him as having a form of street cred in that department - as while he's new generation, he's clearly someone who gets what it was about.

So my hope is that he'll bring back the long lost blues and sleaze element into the peformance like slash once did, yet also nail the robin stuff on CD.

It's a big ask. But i feel it's perhaps possible. It's the same issue i'd have with a reunion on some level. Like i've missed the Slash sound ever since he left, but if he came back, what of the songs i've grown to love on Chinese Democracy? It's a dilemmma now.

And i'm hoping that Ashba could be the answer, that he's modern enough to be able to hit that industrial stuff, but old school enough to be respectful to the melodies and feel of the sleezy blues part of GNR.

So that's my hope for the band! Will it work out? Hopefully we'll find out in december!!

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I heard a sixx:am song that was ok, the solo had a good ring to it, I like his tone. I could see DJ being the guy who handles the If The World solo, I think it would suit his style best of the 3 guitarists.

How would people feel about DJ taking on Buckets Twat solo? Could he pull it off, or is Bumble the only one qualified?

If Richard is still going to play the Maddy solo, I hope he irons out the kinks or tries something different with it, his past effort didnt sound good. Give him the Street Of Dreams solo, I reckon thats more up his street.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Olorin wrote:

How would people feel about DJ taking on Buckets Twat solo? Could he pull it off, or is Bumble the only one qualified?

Tough to say, while cool, that solo isn't all that technically hard overall compared to much of Bucket's stuff,  with the exception of a few blisteringly fast passages at the end.

I've seen DJ play some pretty impressive stuff, so i'm sure he has great overall skills, but not seen enough to make an assessment of what he's like at full on shred speeds. Too early to call that one.

Generally though I think DJ has been brought in to do the bulk of the bluesy Slash solos, and Robin's parts. Given that bumbles major role was to add his own flourishes to the songs, and replicate all buckets stuff - I doubt anyone other than bumble would attempt the twat outro.

Given that bumble nailed it in 2006 in spain, there's also not much point in anyone else doing it IMHO.

I guess given that robin is now gone, they actually could use this as a chance to re-divide up who does what solo for each of the 3 guitarsits between all the songs, as the friendship and dynamics part of it would have changed, but to be honest I'd guess it will be same people playign the same things but just substituting DJ for Robin.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

I cant remember Bumble nailing it, I'll have to check it out.
Robin actually played the bulk of lead guitar live on the last tours, so does that mean DJ is going to be main guy now? 
I'd rather they mixed it up a little, I'm interested to hear Richards take on some of the old songs and DJs on some of the new material.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Olorin wrote:

I cant remember Bumble nailing it, I'll have to check it out.

Considering he only had two weeks to learn all of the songs... He nailed it.

And check out Robin's second solo too. It's awesome.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

Aye that was pretty good, I hope the album version solos becomes sacred and pretty much unchanged like Sweet Child and Jungle have in live shows, despite their creators being absent.

Board footer