You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: GNR Sued For Copying Songs

Olorin wrote:

http://www.reuters.com/article/entertai … WT20091005

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Two independent record labels sued U.S. rock band Guns N' Roses for $1 million, claiming the group used portions of two songs by a German musician on their last album "Chinese Democracy."
Guns N' Roses and Universal Music Group's Interscope-Geffen A&M label were sued by British label Independiente and the U.S. arm of Domino Recording Company, who own the licensing rights to songs by German electronic musician Ulrich Schnauss.

Singer Axl Rose and Guns N' Roses band members and album producers copied portions of two of Schnauss' songs -- "Wherever You Are" and "A Strangely Isolated Place" -- for a song used on the band's last album called "Riad N' the Bedouins," according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit, filed on Friday but made available on Monday, seeks $1 million in damages. A spokesperson for Interscope-Geffen A&M, owned by Vivendi's Universal Music Group, was not available for comment.

"Chinese Democracy," the band's first new album in 17 years that was released last November, resulted in disappointing sales.

Besides Rose, the only original member in the band, the other current and former band members named in the suit include guitarist Brian Carroll, better known as "Buckethead," bassist Tommy Stinson, and Robin Finck, who currently plays lead guitar with rock act Nine Inch Nails.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

interesting...anybody find these songs yet? i'd like to compare when ya do smile

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

They were posted here ages ago, there was a big thread at mygnr not long after the album came out because someone had noticed the intro to Riad was the same as the intro to a  song.

I assumed it was a sample they both decided to use, rather than GNR sampling a Ulrich Schnauss creation. But when you hear the kind of music Ulrich Schnauss makes, its quite possible he came up with it himself.

Deeply embarressing though, the 15 year in the making album is going to be taking another kicking through the media for plagiarism  hmm

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:

ok the first vid is waaay to generic, but the 2nd video, Ill be damned if the first couple of seconds isnt the exact same as rhiad.

Upon further listen, Id say GNR are fucked in this case. Oh and by GNR I mean Axl and the 30 other studio techs/

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Sad.  Makes you wonder about the rest of the material.  Who wants to make a bet that someone else gets "credit" for the intro besides Axl?

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

I think the first couple of seconds of the first video are the exact same as a couple of seconds in Riad just before the guitar starts. The second video is clear as day.

I'd be looking in Pittmans direction over this rather than Axl.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

liked the song better without the intro too

i know axl wouldn't do this on purpose

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

lol..  oh dear.  axl loves lawsuits.

deadsouth