You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: GNR Sued For Copying Songs

Olorin wrote:
Precious time... wrote:

It must be a library synth sound they have both used, i cant see GNR ripping someone else's idea.

Riad has been out sooo long via live performances that this guy could have ripped it off and then claimed the credit!

That intro was unique to the album version, it was never played live.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
maguire22 wrote:

Hmmmmn... in an interesting example of mainstream media being more even-handed (and accurate) than GnR fan forums, BBC news' headline is "Guns N' Roses sued over 'sample' "

Not "plagiarism" (HtGTH & MyGnr), not "copying songs".... a sample.

Just saying.... roll16

Are Reuters mainstream? Coz they broke the story and the headline said "Record labels sue Guns N' Roses for copying songs"

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
maguire22 wrote:

Hmmmmn... in an interesting example of mainstream media being more even-handed (and accurate) than GnR fan forums, BBC news' headline is "Guns N' Roses sued over 'sample' "

Not "plagiarism" (HtGTH & MyGnr), not "copying songs".... a sample.

Just saying.... roll16

Also Rolling Stone.

From Rolling Stone:

---

The Schnauss lawsuit focuses on 45 seconds of ambient soundscapes at the beginning of “Riad N’ the Bedouins,” before the song breaks into full guitar assault that shares no resemblance to Schnauss’ body of work.

We’re not legal experts, but unless there is some sort of documentation proving that Rose and company stole the tracks — like proof they tried to clear the sample and failed — it’s hard to imagine the million dollar fee would be awarded, as it seems like countless artists such as Boards of Canada, M83 and Fennesz could have easily filed a similar suit. Plus, half the stuff on Chinese Democracy has existed for the better part of the last decade, while the two Schnauss songs came out in 2001 and 2003, so it’d be practically impossible to determine who predated who. Rolling Stone reached out to Gn’R for comment, but hadn’t heard back at press time.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

GNR needs to release Riad as a single right now and use this to their advantage!

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
war wrote:

GNR needs to release Riad as a single right now and use this to their advantage!

Not sure about the legality issues, but that actually wouldn't be a bad idea.  Though I think I'd be willing to bet a million dollars that won't happen.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

war

war wrote:
faldor wrote:
war wrote:

Not sure about the legality issues, but that actually wouldn't be a bad idea.  Though I think I'd be willing to bet a million dollars that won't happen.

the ony further legal risk would be the sales for the actual single or ITUNES download but that's ok for two reasons...........

1- they could just take the intro off

or

2- accept the 5 percent maximum they'd have to pay in royalties for the intro and they still have 95 percent of the sales they wouldn't have had without this incident.

either way would be great way to ride the media wave

and if they released this as a single and won the court case that would be a great FU you to Schnauss

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:

1. He demands a stop of the sales of Chinese Democracy.

Already happened. Vanilla Ice's sellings rival to CD's. Nobody buys it. wink

2.He demands a stop of the distribution of Chinese Democracy.

Already happened. It's in the stores and they won't make and distribute new copies till it's sold. That can happen sometime in 2820.

3. He demands a stop from further pressings including the intro in Riad N' The Bedouins.

See above.

4. Oh... And he also want a mere million dollars.

That's ridiculous. I doubt that even BH got that much money for his contribution.

Anyway, I think Axl and this Ulrich guy could settle a deal. He'll get 100,000 copies of CD from BB and it'll up to him to sell it. Good luck.

maguire22
 Rep: 11 

maguire22 wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Are Reuters mainstream? Coz they broke the story and the headline said "Record labels sue Guns N' Roses for copying songs"

Makes it double weird for the BBC to be so accurate, then, because I thought they got news feeds off Reuters? They must have looked at the story and decided to go with a less sensationalised headline.

I was teasin' about the forums but actually it is pretty cool.:cool:

They should do it as a single, offer that guy a chance to remix it or something as a B-side, he gets his fifteen minutes in the spotlight to build on (or not) according to merit, and the band come out of it looking like princes. 22

war

war wrote:

i wonder how many years this will push back the tour and 2nd album release

Board footer