You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Slash Sahara Japan 5" CD SINGLE

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah my understanding is that as long as a work is not altered enough to be considered an adaptation of the actual piece, then anyone can peform and record a cover of any song that's been previously publicly released without the need for further permissions. Basicly they can get a compulsoary license to do it under statute. Axl and the original songwriters would still get a royalty for the use of the song, but they can't prevent it (nor would they want to in most situations).

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I have a GNR techno CD from 1998 or so that covers all their big hits... Who the fuck would sign off on that I have no clue.  I bought the fucker cause I was thristy for anything GNR.  Apparently it can't be that hard to get permission.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

"Paradise City" is likely to be just a B-side.

There's an interview with Slash in the most recent Classic Rock magazine (It's not on their website) where he talks about the Fergie track on the album and it doesn't sound like it's PC.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

AFAIK Slash defiitely needed to pay royalties since I'd guess songwriting credits were shared, but I'm pretty sure Axl didn't personally need to sign off on it. My understanding is as Monkeychow stated you go thru ASCAP or EMI (BMI?) to get clearance on licensing and pay a fee. Artists (or more likely their lawyers) can vary the rates, but I don't think there is always control over how it's given out & to whom. Certain instances come to mind such as Foo covering Prince & Staind covering Pearl Jam where the original artists was not too happy. Also some songs terribly whored out to advertising commercials & HOP' "Jump Around" in Mrs Doubtfire, I'm sure HoP lost control before that, or were unaware.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I have a GNR techno CD from 1998 or so that covers all their big hits... Who the fuck would sign off on that I have no clue.  I bought the fucker cause I was thristy for anything GNR.  Apparently it can't be that hard to get permission.

Appetite For Reconstruction or something like that? I got that when it came out too, it was bloody awful. Not just from a GNR fan perspective, I was a big fan of techno and hard dance music and still thought it was bloody awful, it was so amaturish sounding.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Olorin wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Appetite For Reconstruction or something like that? I got that when it came out too, it was bloody awful. Not just from a GNR fan perspective, I was a big fan of techno and hard dance music and still thought it was bloody awful, it was so amaturish sounding.

Yes, and it was TERRIBLE!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Slash did paradice city live with Cyprus a while back...i wonder if it's baised on that peformance or fresh. I'd like to hear this....can't really afford to import it though.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I've just realized it's a guy and not a girl. I also managed to skip that he's Japanese. That explains the Japan only status of the single. I wonder if it'll make the album.

Mikkamakka wrote:

I wonder if it'll make the album.

From what I've gathered it seems likely.

And I know that song will be in both Japanese and English.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:

And I know that song will be in both Japanese and English.

whoa, slash can play guitar in japanese 10

Board footer