You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Slash Sahara Japan 5" CD SINGLE

faldor wrote:

First off I absolutely loathe the Paradise City cover.  BUT, I didn't think Fergie sounded all that bad.  Cypress Hill was just completely unnecessary for me.  Take them out and you may have something.  With them on there though, it's just unlistenable for me.

Dreamline
 Rep: 64 

Dreamline wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Is B'z any good? I actually quite like this dudes voice...he's got some range...although maybe it's just cos it suits slash's guitar well...might not be so cool on something else.

I'm by no means a fan, but here are a couple singles that I remember being big.  This is going back to 1997 though.  No idea what they've been up to since then.

[youtube]DEfTw8DVPkI&feature=related[/youtube]

TSI
 Rep: 2 

TSI wrote:

Okay, one thing I''m not understanding is that slash made the statement he wanted to "distance" himself from gnr, so why the god-awful desecration of this completely unlistenable cover of PC?
It's indescribably awful.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

It's not any worse than hearing Finck butcher the classics was.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
TSI wrote:

Okay, one thing I''m not understanding is that slash made the statement he wanted to "distance" himself from gnr, so why the god-awful desecration of this completely unlistenable cover of PC?
It's indescribably awful.

It's a B-Side...on a japan only bonus track.....having a bit of fun with a song he helped write back in the day, not like he's releasing it as a full cover album or anything.

I don't see the hard to be honest, while I prefer the original, it's nice to hear some of those riffs again (although i wish he hadn't left out some of the guitar bits) and fergie does an admirable job ok keeping Axl's melodies and hitting the high notes with some passion. I've heard far far worse versions of this song.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Yesterday on The Howard Stern Show, Howard said Fergie had a really good voice and referenced her singing "Paradise City".  He played a little bit of the song with Slash and Cypress Hill and they were all making fun of Cypress Hill, saying they were irrelevant to the song.  They were also saying how sad it was for Slash to resort to something like this.  Artie commented, "he could be out touring making millions."  Howard replied, "yeah if Axl wasn't so nuts."

I just remembered some more.  Howard said Fergie sounded so good on the song that Slash should've just hired her and they could've continued on as Guns N' Roses.  Howard asked "what was that band he was in with Scott Weiland?"  Artie replied "Velvet Underground".  Artie asked if they had any hits and Howard said no, but they said they did.  He also said, "they kinda sucked!"

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

The song did pretty well on the Japanese chart. It debuted at No. 4., was 7th then, and it's still in the top 25.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
faldor wrote:

Howard said Fergie sounded so good on the song that Slash should've just hired her and they could've continued on as Guns N' Roses.

Well that's taking it WAY too far, but I will say i thought Fergie did well with the song, and I'd like to hear more colaborations with her and slash.

faldor

faldor wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

The song did pretty well on the Japanese chart. It debuted at No. 4., was 7th then, and it's still in the top 25.

I would expect the single to do well.  It features a popular Japanese artist with a legendary guitarist and has a B side cover of an all time classic rock song.  If you can't be successful with that formula, something's wrong.

Board footer