You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Who REALLY wrote Chinese Democracy

metallex78 wrote:

I think it was Tommy or Axl in an interview that said that the whole new band worked on the songs, and all added parts to songs to make it a real band collaboration, and to get away from what happened with UYI, where songs were written individually.

So why is it that on CD, there are no full band collaborations as far as songwriting credits go?

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Axl would  have done good to quickly record a fresh batch of tunes with the new members and release an album or even ep

He's had a year since CD was released. If they really put their mind to it, I'm sure it could have been done. Would have made a great start to the upcoming tour (which is beginning to turn into a joke aswell by the looks of it), and exorcised the demons of chinese democracy. Then just released some of the old material as b-sides or at a later date as collector's items

Then again I ain't crazy so maybe thats just too sensible

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

These ASCAP statistics may call into question his actual skills as a songwriter.

How? Then we might as well doubt anyone's song writing abilities.

HOW?? Seriously? You really gonna go there?

I think its obvious. An artist who had many sole songwriting credits attributed to him over the past twenty two years now only has one(This I Love). Now I know we gotta whip out that asterisk so nothing applies to this band, but I think its an interesting development that's actually been right under the surface for years.

My second favorite singer, Chris Cornell, has tons of songwriting credits. I am not surprised that the ASCAP figures match up with his credits. Now if ASCAP revealed that he only wrote one song and all Soundgarden songs were actually a Cornell/Shepard/Thayil/Cameron collaboration, that would raise a couple red flags as well, especially considering he has always been regarded as a great songwriter.

No one is saying he cant write a song. Obviously he can. He just seems to have a bit of difficulty doing so himself, and if ASCAP doesn't clue you in to that, go read the 'Chinese Whispers' section of this site.

Axl Rose is a singer. In a band.

He doesn't write complete songs on his own.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:

Axl Rose is a singer. In a band.

He doesn't write complete songs on his own.

I think we've already established that. tongue 19

The point is that Axl is solely credited to certain songs because he originally came up with them.

Simple as that. It should be common knowledge.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Axl comes up with the melodies. It's the absolute essential part. A band I know changed their lead singer, thinking the songs and the band would stay the same because the guitar player was still there and the band was known for the riffs. Well, he kept on kicking ass to some extent, but the melodies were all gone. A riff is just a riff until someone put melodies to it. The change in that band were so drastic everyone simply left.

I don't get the discussion. So he needs people writing with him. It's the sound of a healthy band to me. I would be way more annoyed if all songs said "Rose" and nothing else. It would give anyone a way better head-start in bitching about it. You guys are like Fox News sometimes. big_smile Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I think the ASCAP version credits anyone who came up with anything included on the song. Shacklers is a Bucket and Brain song that they brought in but Finck has a credit as a song writer for it by ASCAP, surely his credit is because of that little solo he plays at the very end?

In makingfuckingvideos, Duff talks about how Axl came up with Estranged on the piano and how he and Slash had to translate what he was playing into guitar language, he made it sound like all the melodies were there on the piano version.
I agree it would have been fairier if everyone had been credited in the booklet for what they contributed though, but I'm not suprised in the slightest to see other credits coz Axl dont play the drums, bass, keyboards or guitar in the band.

Sky Dog wrote:
-D- wrote:

I guess on UYI they just put who came up with the song and on ASCAP everyone gets credit for whatever parts they added or whatever ideas they used to edit the song.

For instance. If I come in with a song and its basically the finished product but Lofton adds a guitar solo and Axlin changes a few of my lyrics to make them better, they may get ASCAP credit but on the album, it may just be credited to me since I wrote the actual "Song"

The song may not have been as good in its original form but still yet considered most of the heavy lifting and idea etc

just my opinion

agree with you and they did it the same way with Chinese....the album credits are different than the ascap credits....that wasn't the case with AFD/Lies.

I am not going to argue about Axl's songwriting abilities. We know he only came in with the basic piano tracks and lyrics on his babies. And, I think he wrote the basic guitar riff and lyrics to One in a Million and Shotgun Blues. After that, the band filled in.....not a shock.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

This doesn't really surprise me. I'd sort of always assumed without ever mentioning it that more members were involved in every song despite the liner notes credits. It makes sense if you think about it. Axl 'wrote' Estranged but then thanks Slash for his guitar work which is a major part of Estranged so in a sense should Slash have not got some writing credit? Same for Coma, it's credited to Slash but we all know Axl worte the lyrics (some of his finest imo) thereofre should Axl not be given writing credit? Not according to the liner notes. The liner notes seem to be more an indication of who brought the song to the table as a concept or a raw piece which naturally the others helped to flesh out. It never occured to me for a second that Axl wrote Estranged on the piano and then single handedly began adding each individual instrument to it himself.

Board footer