You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Your GNR dream set list

You basically can with any band as long as you've got enough knowledge.

In my opinion, during the Illusion tours, Axl's voice was at its peak during 1993.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Ritz 91 performance of Estranged is great, Axls nails it, Rio was good as well. But you can still hear his voice getting a bit creaky and croaky at some points and it just got worse as that tour went on.
I wish during the chats someone had asked him about any issues he has had with his singing voice over the years, would be pretty interesting. Its funny how you can identify the era a bootleg recording is from, just because of what he sounds like on it.

i think I did actually - twice
he ignored my questions

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I think he got a cold during that tour and continued playing shows...then he really fucked up his vocal chords and had to cancel and postpone a bunch of shows...wasnt that why he walked off in Montreal?

According to Guns N' Roses, yes.

According to Metallica, no.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I think he got a cold during that tour and continued playing shows...then he really fucked up his vocal chords and had to cancel and postpone a bunch of shows...wasnt that why he walked off in Montreal?

if montreal is the show where hetfield got burned than yes, he walked off because he had problems with his voice.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

anyway for my dream setlist....

i'd like to see them play most of Chinese Democracy with some big hits thrown in, maybe half CD, Half Hits

even this i love...as much as i dislike that tune i think its be fantastic performance by him live

i wanna see scraped, i wanna see him pull off those vocal changeups, anyway time will tell but i hope they get rid of some of the lesser known AFD songs...play like 9 Hits... ISE, WTTC, SCOM, PC, Patience, YCBM, DC, NR, CW, and like 9 tunes off CD....CD, SOD, Better, CITR, Scraped, Sorry, TWAT, IRS, Maddy

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

^^

Agreed. That would be my biggest request, and is start to move away from AFD. It's time for the band to move on. No more than 5 songs should be played from that album, and personally I would actually say only the "big three".

GNR's discocraphy is too small to do only play three from their biggest selling album.

They need at the least from AFD

Jungle, SCOM and PC

+

Browstone, Easy, Nightrain and then maybe Rocket Queen/Out Ta Get Me

You can alternate that and maybe swap a couple out for Illusion/Lies/TSI tracks some nights but it needs about that from AFD.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:

Hard to drop night train when they did it so well in 06

rose22
 Rep: 12 

rose22 wrote:

yeah nightrain was probably the best played and sung of the appetite songs and should definately stay in the set imo. just a bad ass rock jam.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

^^

Agreed. That would be my biggest request, and is start to move away from AFD. It's time for the band to move on. No more than 5 songs should be played from that album, and personally I would actually say only the "big three".

GNR's discocraphy is too small to do only play three from their biggest selling album.

They need at the least from AFD

Jungle, SCOM and PC

+

Browstone, Easy, Nightrain and then maybe Rocket Queen/Out Ta Get Me

You can alternate that and maybe swap a couple out for Illusion/Lies/TSI tracks some nights but it needs about that from AFD.

The only hits off of AFD are Jungle, SCOM & PC, which I already mentioned - "the big three".

Their discog is perfectly sized for shows. They just don't have the balls to play that UYI material. There's 30 songs sitting from those albums that is completely ignored, short of November Rain & You Could Be Mine, and two covers that became tired years ago.

Hell, Axl will play B-sides off of AFD (Michelle & Think About You), before playing actual hits from UYI.

You could easily play 5 off of UYI I, 5 off of UYI II, half of CD, and the big three from AFD, and get away with it, with EASE.

They just don't do it. Why? Because AFD is continually used as the "money in the bank" album, no matter how many cries from Mr. Rose himself about wanting to "bury it". If anything he's been the re-animator keeping the fucker alive for years.

I agree that Jungle, SCOM & PC should be played, along with Nightrain (somedays I think it's one of GNR's best), and Rocket Queen should be an alternate. But It's So Easy & Mr. Brownstone? Love 'em, but they need to be retired. It's time to move on from AFD. And songs like My Michelle & Out Ta Get Me shouldn't have been played past 1991. Think About You should've stayed buried, or become an exclusive at Izzy-only shows (what it was in 2006). Even then... where was Dust N' Bones, You Ain't The First, or 14 Years? Songs that just about any fan would walked over their mother's own body to have in that set. My only guess is that's what Izzy wanted to play and nothing else. He wasn't exactly happy during the UYI-era.

Board footer