You are not logged in. Please register or login.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

Re: how are the shows selling this time around?

gnfnraxl wrote:
faldor wrote:
Axl S wrote:

The difference between AC/DC is their backcatalogue is so big that they have SO MANY hits. Enough to fill a set, GNR don't. GNR have to play

Jungle, Child, Paradise City
Patience
You Could Be Mine, November Rain

Those are the only songs THEY MUST play. The others like Nightrain, It's So Easy, Brownstone are also usually played as quite a lot of people would be dissapointed if they didn't hear them, that's the same reason LALD and KOHD unfortunatly still get played.

But even with those tracks that's not a full selist and because they have the room to shuffle the setlist, the fans complain.

True.  I posted over at a Van Halen forum for a fleeting moment when the VH/GNR rumors were going around and they didn't think too highly of anything except for AFD.  They seemed to think the UYI's were mostly filler.  So while we'd love to hear songs like "Dead Horse", "Breakdown", and "Coma".  I don't think the general public would be too thrilled.

Maybe.  Personally when I go see a band I wanna be surprised.  So if I went to see AC\DC with that setlist I would not be disappointed, but I would not be surprised.  Just like I was not surprised with GNR.  With Metallica and I know Pearl Jam does this too.  They played all the big songs and a majority of their new disc.  But there are 5 or 6 songs that they allow themselves to toy with the setlist and change them every night and that is awesome cause you get songs that you do not expect.  Would it really hurt Axl to do this?  Instead of a Out ta get me throw in Locomotive, instead of My Michelle throw in Dead Horse or instead of a It's so easy throw in a Used to love her.  And they could easily skip LALD and KOHD as well.  And they could play with a couple new songs as well.  Instead of having IRS and Streets of dreams and Maddy everynight alternate things a bit.  Play If the world or anything else.  That way the people that see 100 shows are pleased and the general public as well cause you were able to surprise them.  It's not rocket science people.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Are you talking about shows to come, or shows from the past? 

Here are MY thoughts on the "setlists".  AFD is the defining album for GNR, obviously.  When Axl regrouped Guns he had them rehearse and re-record AFD.  Obviously the band was most comfortable with the material on that album AND the new material they were working on.  For that reason, the setlist comprised of mostly AFD, some new songs, and the hits from UYI's.  We didn't get any more new songs because let's face it, there was no release date in sight.  Why play the whole album if it's not gonna be released for 10 years?  I still find it ridiculous they played "new" songs seven years before they were released.  That's gotta be some sort of record.

I think at this point, the focus for the band is the new material PLUS the songs they've played in the past.  Maybe we'll get a treat from UYI's here and there, but I don't think Axl is having them rehearse all of UYI II in preparation for the tour.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
faldor wrote:

Are you talking about shows to come, or shows from the past? 

Here are MY thoughts on the "setlists".  AFD is the defining album for GNR, obviously.  When Axl regrouped Guns he had them rehearse and re-record AFD.  Obviously the band was most comfortable with the material on that album AND the new material they were working on.  For that reason, the setlist comprised of mostly AFD, some new songs, and the hits from UYI's.  We didn't get any more new songs because let's face it, there was no release date in sight.  Why play the whole album if it's not gonna be released for 10 years?  I still find it ridiculous they played "new" songs seven years before they were released.  That's gotta be some sort of record.

I think at this point, the focus for the band is the new material PLUS the songs they've played in the past.  Maybe we'll get a treat from UYI's here and there, but I don't think Axl is having them rehearse all of UYI II in preparation for the tour.

Both.  They could've done it in the past and they could do it in the future.  Trust me.  If they only play new stuff then they'll play to a dead crowd.  When I saw them in 06 the new songs were received by total silence.  I ain't saying the new songs suck, but they were not well received at the show I was at.  But Playing 5 or 6 new songs is ok and expected.  Anyone that expects more than that are gonna end up being disappointed.  You have to be realistic here.  So when I saw them they played 5 new songs which is fine.  From CD I expect them to play CD and Better.  Those 2 songs are a definite lock in my opinion.  But the rest they can alernate them.  That way during the tour they can play all the songs on different shows.  They need to surprise people.  I liked GNR's show in 06.  But had they played around with their setlist not only would I have liked the show but I would've been blown away and surprised.  Why can't they play If the world, Catcher, Twat, Prostitue (even if I hate that song), Locomotive, 14 years, Right next door to hell and the list goes on.  Surprise the fans and I can guarantee that people would be happy.  To me here are the songs that should be a lock and that the rest of the songs could be chosen randomly.

Welcome to the Jungle
Paradise City
Nightrain
Seet Child O' Mine
November Rain
You could be Mine
Don't cry
Chinese Democracy
Better
Patience

That gives them 8 to 10 songs that they can alternate every night.  Out of those 8 to 10 songs play 3 or 4 songs from CD and the rest from the back catalogue and you have a killer set  And I added Don't Cry even though they didn't play it in 06.  With that setlist and the rest of the songs where they would actually surprise the audience.  And if they would do that not only would I buy a ticket to at least 2 shows but I'd even enjoy Baz's set.  3

Sky Dog wrote:

a lot of effort and thought put in to a 2 hour show.....it ain't that important.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
madagas wrote:

a lot of effort and thought put in to a 2 hour show.....it ain't that important.

That's the thing.  I put this together in like 2 minutes.  The rest of the songs have them be chosen by Axl one night, Ron the next and so forth or designate someone (most likely Axl) to chose them every night.  That way would get people talking because every night you don't know what gem you may get.  If you want your tour to be successful then yes you have to put in some thought and effort.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Back during the UYI days, they had a firm philosophy to change up the setlist every night, so nobody got the exact same show...

What happened to that?

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Back during the UYI days, they had a firm philosophy to change up the setlist every night, so nobody got the exact same show...

What happened to that?

Remember where Axl said Slash was?  Well look for the different setlists up there as well.  You may also meet Baz's nose too.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Hey, I saw that show in Toledo

In their defence I suppose these days when you are making a huge stage production rather than just a band getting up and jamming, it makes it harder to do an impromptu setlist.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It also happens when you have session musicians who didn't write the material trying to cover it.

Slash could easily bust into alot of that material, because he wrote alot of it.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Hey, I saw that show in Toledo

In their defence I suppose these days when you are making a huge stage production rather than just a band getting up and jamming, it makes it harder to do an impromptu setlist.

That is true and I'm sure it's one of the things taken into consideration. Still changing a  song or two every night shouldn't be a problem.  I saw a certain band on back to back nights in Toronto in September and the difference was four songs. That's pretty acceptable I think and not so hard to pull off.  Gn'R coudl do this easily if they wanted to. They coudl also open with somehing other than Jungle and close with something other than PC but that woudl be too crazy. Funny how as long as the show taes place how predictable Gn'R shows have become.  Even Axl throwing a  person out as if on cue has become predictable. 

Axlin08 wrote:

It also happens when you have session musicians who didn't write the material trying to cover it.

Slash could easily bust into alot of that material, because he wrote alot of it.

Also something that probably plays into it.

This is Axl's band, his show, his world and I think this tour will say alot about how much he cares about it. If it's the same old song and dance it'll be clear he cares very little. I'm not going to attend but I'll be honest he owes it to those of you on these boards who plan on attending to give you something you want and not just an AFD rehash with the same 4 or 5 CD songs he's been playing for a decade.

Board footer