You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: how are the shows selling this time around?

metallex78 wrote:

I remember back in high school hanging with my mates, just getting into GN'R and we all thought the Axl rant in Get in The Ring was awesome. I admit, these days it's just laughable, but it was very cool at the time.

Sky Dog wrote:
Bono wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

It was pretty cool when I was 17.

Really? Even back when the album came out I was 14 and when I  heard that song  I thought it was dumb. I always liked the music and the first part of the song but then Axl's rant ruined it completely for me.

easily the worst moment ever in Gnr history. Get in the Ring is unbelievably bad. I can't stand the music or the lyrics. I always thought Rolling Stones' initial review said it best....

"The clunkers on II are "Shotgun Blues," a sonic assault with surprisingly little impact, and "Get in the Ring," which challenges the band's detractors by name but basically hits below the belt. On Appetite it was "Feel my serpentine"; on Illusion II it's "Suck my fuckin' dick" – meant in a different spirit, yes, but it's beneath them just the same.

Axl Rose has stopped teasing his hair, taken a few of the chains off his cowboy boots, left the pink lipstick to Skid Row's Sebastian Bach and gotten a bit of perspective. So he shouldn't be bothered by his critics, because even with years of practice, no one has come close to that snaky dance of his, that dance that whips victimization, menace and struggle into one fluid, triumphant motion."

those two tracks almost ruin UYI 2.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I love Shotgun Blues and Get In The Ring thanks to Slash's great guitar playing and solos, I wouldn't say they ruin UYI2 at all.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:
Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

GITR & SG Blues nearly ruin UYI 2?

But not My World?

Wild man... wild. 16

In reality, the album never comes close to ruin. It's a strong effort. Maybe not the master efforts of AFD and CD, but a very good album nonetheless. I was just listening to the alternate Don't Cry the other day, and although the original cut on UYI 1 is more radio friendly, the alt. version is alot more deep and those lyrics might be some of the best in the band's history.

You could load UYI 2 with nothing but Shadow of Your Love, Reckless Life, Back Off Bitch, Garden of Eden, Bad Apples, Get In The Ring, Shotgun Blues, So Fine, My World... and throw Estranged on there, and the album is a masterpiece. 22

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:
emcitymisfit wrote:

All I know is that "The future needs a big kiss" is the single lamest line of any song ever recorded, narrowly beating all of My World.

I don't know.  "You wanna antagonize me? Antagonize me motherfucker, get in the ring motherfucker and I'll kick your bitchy little ass"  is pretty damn lame. In fact the entire verse is right up there with the worst lyrics of all time. 16

I liked it back then, and still like it now.  Though, I haven't listened to the song in quite some time.

I do remember blaring it from my room at age 13 and my mom was none too happy with what she heard.  I learned to turn the volume down when that song came on after that incident.

Shortly after that (I think) my mom took away my Pantera "Vulgar Display of Power" CD I got in the mail from BMG because she saw the song "Fucking Hostile" on the back.  Mom's, always ruining the fun.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Get In The Ring is pretty embarrassing. The fact its on an album with Estranged is stupifying. Also one of the reasons GNR was a punching bag in the alt rock movement. The filler on UYI is really lame. They should have had the real UYI album with the best songs (which even all their elitists critics say would have been a masterpiece) and a B-side album.

I know i'll get the standard "GNR did things their way" and "fuck the people who don't like it"... but terrible songs are terrible songs. And they ruined a potentially magnificent album that doesn't live up to its potential.

I can totally see the reasoning why Axl would want full control. UYI is plagued with too many fingerprints and mediocre moments, and too many half ass, coasting ideas, taking UYI in completely different directions all at once.

The irony is Axl got control and CD still suffers from too many cooks in the kitchen and no one to tell him enough.

Sky Dog wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

GITR & SG Blues nearly ruin UYI 2?

But not My World?

Wild man... wild. 16

In reality, the album never comes close to ruin. It's a strong effort. Maybe not the master efforts of AFD and CD, but a very good album nonetheless. I was just listening to the alternate Don't Cry the other day, and although the original cut on UYI 1 is more radio friendly, the alt. version is alot more deep and those lyrics might be some of the best in the band's history.

You could load UYI 2 with nothing but Shadow of Your Love, Reckless Life, Back Off Bitch, Garden of Eden, Bad Apples, Get In The Ring, Shotgun Blues, So Fine, My World... and throw Estranged on there, and the album is a masterpiece. 22

my world is a b-side as well and has no place on the album. KOHD doesn't need to be there either. But, Get in the Ring is an F side. The entire song from top to bottom is as cheesy as it gets.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Also one of the reasons GNR was a punching bag in the alt rock movement.

Perhaps...but most of the alternate rock movment can hardly even play their instruments...some of them wrote some ok songs...but show me any day of the year where a kurt cobain can outplay a slash or dave mustaine or someone like that.

misterID wrote:

The filler on UYI is really lame. They should have had the real UYI album with the best songs (which even all their elitists critics say would have been a masterpiece) and a B-side album.

The problem with this is that it's very hard to choose what the filler would be. Critics always say that about the filler - but whenver we do threads on it - the songs that some people like best seem to be the ones others would can.

Same with chinese democracy too....one person's must skip is another guys favourite gem.

And I don't think there's a "terrible song" on UYI. Even the worst GNR song is superior to most bands for my particualr tastes.

Board footer