You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Re: how are the shows selling this time around?

Wow, been gone for nearly a year--checked in once and not much has changed.  Not trying to start an argument, but the gist of this thread is ridiculous.

--GNR are selling fantastic for this tour!  Better than 2006 (most of the Canadian shows will be sold out by show time).

--The Asian shows will be big--those stadiums (take Taiwan for instance) are huge--even if they don't sell out, there are going to be massive crowds.

--The stage set-up, band, lighting, delivery, and organization provided by Irving Azoff is going to make this the best GN'R tour since UYI.  They are doing things correctly, and publicizing correctly.  Gone are the days of Merck, and his superficial hype machine.  To us, it may seem like the promotion is not huge, but note that the concerts promotion started with local radio for the Canadian dates.  Irving and his Ticketmaster machine know how to deliver a message, and they are delivering it on a local level via local radio.

--U2's new album is fantastic, but after listening non-stop to some posters self-righteous insinuations that U2 are Gods of the Rock Universe and will outsell everyone with fart sounds reverberating through a synthesizer was hilarious, and is even more so now.  TheIR last album landed with a thud, that to those inside the industry was even more disturbing than Chinese Democracy's U.S. sales.  U2 is a bit stale right now, at least from a sales perspective.  Artistically, the new album is brilliant.  Funny thing, and it's debatable, Chinese Democracy MAY have higher worldwide sales than U2's new album.  It's somewhere over 6 million--no one can quite tabulate (some reports have it over 10 million), but the thing did gangbusters in certain areas of the world (one wouldn't know that reading through many of the posts here).

--Bottomline, if you love GN'R, what a day it is!  The staging, set-up, lighting, video screens, and everything artistically look better than we have seen since 1993!  It looks like Universal, when they renegotiated with Axl and Irving, committed to funding part of this tour (boxes in photos of Taiwan say "Universal"), and you can tell. It also does not hurt havingTicketmaster and Live Nation helping, and Azoff knows how to build momentum on the touring side better than anyone.  The man demanded perfection, more rehearsing than they had done in ten years, better equipment, sound men, etc.  The set-list looks great, and the band is about to deliver. 

MAYBE IT'S PART NOVELTY, OR HOW AXL CARRIES HIMSELF, BUT WHEN GN'R ARE ABOUT TO TAKE THE STAGE, THERE IS AN ELEMENT OF WANTON MADNESS THAT NO OTHER BAND BRINGS--ITS SOMETHING TO BEHOLD, AND ITS GOD DAMNED WONDERFUL!  THE ANTICIPATION IS BUILDING, THE COUNTDOWN IS ON!  ROCK N' ROLL GNFR!!!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Haha!

Nice to have you back.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

TheIR last album landed with a thud, that to those inside the industry was even more disturbing than Chinese Democracy's U.S. sales.

While it was their lowest selling album this decade, No Line outsold Chinese Democracy in the U.S., as well as worldwide, and No Line hasn't even been out as long as CD.

CD did NOT sell six million, and sure as shit didn't sell 10 million. Not sure why GNR fans feel the need to belittle other records to make CD look like a bigger success, and when doing so should at least use albums that actually sold less than CD as examples.

I triple dog dare you to find me a legitimate link not written by a GNR forum junkie claiming CD sold from 6-10 million.

I agree on your other points. While the promo isn't much to write home about, now is the time for GNR fans to have some excitement as a tour is now underway, and as we all know, it doesn't happen very often.

As far as your insinuations this site is negative, the only reason the other sites don't have similar posts is because their staff has their fingers on the delete button praying for brownie points from the band. This site is a great sample of the pulse of the overall fan base because its as unfiltered as it gets.

Good to see you back. 9 Hopefully you stick around as this tour gets underway.

Bright Eyes 2005

I read multiple articles (I wasn't paying attention at the time much to GN'R) stating numbers over 10 million--I think it was some of the Asian press releases--which I remember being highly suspicious of.  The last global chart, in April, that I saw had it at 5.1 million worldwide.  I think CD is a little over 6 million.  Last I saw, U2 was at 3.8 million worldwide.

FYI, calling the new U2 cd brilliant, etc. is not belittling it.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

CD sold extremely well considering all factors.  I won't get into them all for the millionth time, but we all are fully aware of them.

U2's sales were poor considering their huge worldwide name, huge amounts of promo, huge ass stadium tour coinciding with the album release.  People were screaming its sales would dwarf all other albums from all other artists and it simply didn't happen.  Sales were still good, don't get me wrong, especially in this economic climate.  But it wasn't anywhere near the success that some were predicting.

But enough with all the sales talk, there is a tour about to begin.  Let's shift the focus to the important stuff.

Bright Eyes 2005

In this climate, all things considered, both (U2 and GNR) sold well--pushing 5 million physical units in 2009 is a miracle!  GN'R is even more impressive--did it without any publicity, a hit single, any tour, and Axl was nowhere to be found besides a few chat sessions.  The album will surely push some more units with the tour.  If those rehearsals are any indication, they are going to put on a helluva a show.  Asbha is very impressive (Blues solo and outro are out of this world)!

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

It didn't sell 5 million copies. Not even 3 million. Check the related thread @ HTGTH.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

When we looked it up here it was over 3 million.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

--U2's new album is fantastic, but after listening non-stop to some posters self-righteous insinuations that U2 are Gods of the Rock Universe and will outsell everyone with fart sounds reverberating through a synthesizer was hilarious, and is even more so now.  TheIR last album landed with a thud, that to those inside the industry was even more disturbing than Chinese Democracy's U.S. sales.  U2 is a bit stale right now, at least from a sales perspective.  Artistically, the new album is brilliant.  Funny thing, and it's debatable, Chinese Democracy MAY have higher worldwide sales than U2's new album.  It's somewhere over 6 million--no one can quite tabulate (some reports have it over 10 million), but the thing did gangbusters in certain areas of the world (one wouldn't know that reading through many of the posts here).

It's hard to really know what the main reason was for No Line's unimpressive sales. Poor singles? Bad Economy? New culture of downloading?  Since the tour was a massive success setting attendence records in nearly every venue they playd I'll have to say the economy played no part in the less than stellar album sales. Downloading maybe, but I'm gonna have to say it was the lack of a Vertigo or even Beautiful Day type lead single.  Let's face it we live in a  single driven music world in 2009 and U2 didn't have a bonafide radio hit single this time out. No Line was in fact their 2nd fastest selling album ever outta the gates BUT they didn't have that lead single to sustain it. But as far as them being stale from a sales perspective maybe. But I do believe that at the halfway point of the year they had the 2nd best selling album worldwide of 2009 next to Lady Gaga. Maybe I'm wrong.

As for CD selling upwards of and even over  ten million copies. BULLSHIT!  14

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:
war wrote:

and that's when ill make my move

Great post.

Board footer