You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: how are the shows selling this time around?

buzzsaw wrote:

The winner in that is U2 and the loser is GnR.

Thanks, Anakin.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

As always with GNR they let any momentum they have built for whatever reason die and be forgotten before they try and capitalize on it. Whether this is the bands fault or 'external circumstances' I neither know nor care it's irrelelvant. Assuming they don't release a single in the next 2 months (which they definitely should) they're hitting the road with absolutely no momentum behind them, who's talking about GNR right now? Hell even we're talking about U2 instead of GNR.

Back when CD came out people we're aware of it and aware of GNR. Hell the albums release even got coverage the friday before release day on national news here. The album got to no.2 in the charts and CD was on the radio. If people had googled GNR at that point and checked the GNR site and saw they had some dates booked in the next 6 months they might, just might have bought a ticket.

As it is they're touring behind an album they released a year ago with minimal promo and the promo there is directs you to a site that hasn't been touched since spring. Forget opening acts or venue size if this whole tour had been scheduled exactly 12 months previously those sales figures would be looking twice as healthy. Poor timing and lousy promotion are responsible for stuttering sales not the opening acts.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Poor timing and lousy promotion are responsible for stuttering sales not the opening acts.

i'd have to agree...though i'd like to see some hard #'s and not jsut what i've posted...jsut cuz tickets are available doesnt mean its selling poorly

anyway back to the opeing act thing...if you have to rely on an openign act to sell your ticket then you are in trouble anyway..and if you are avoidign a show because of the opener then you have troubles as well 16

i'd have to say that for alot of peopel that they don't even bother with the openers...if you dont like them or dont care then just dont go until the main act comes on

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Neemo wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Poor timing and lousy promotion are responsible for stuttering sales not the opening acts.

i'd have to agree...though i'd like to see some hard #'s and not jsut what i've posted...jsut cuz tickets are available doesnt mean its selling poorly

anyway back to the opeing act thing...if you have to rely on an openign act to sell your ticket then you are in trouble anyway..and if you are avoidign a show because of the opener then you have troubles as well 16

i'd have to say that for alot of peopel that they don't even bother with the openers...if you dont like them or dont care then just dont go until the main act comes on

Agreed neemo.

You think GNR knows they'd sell more tickets if they toured with Metallica instead of Sebastian Bach? 

I think so.  But there's probably a reason they're doing things the way they are.  And sure, they could open for U2, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, or the Beatles.  But they're not, and I doubt they'll be doing that anytime soon.  Again, they have their reasons.  You don't have to agree with them, but it ain't gonna happen.  You know it, I know it, so why bother?

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
Neemo wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

To each his own.  I don't think I have problems by avoiding GNR's show because one of the many reasons I will be avoiding this is that Baz is opening.  I lived the 80's to the fullest and man I'm just not interested in going back there.  Seeing Baz when he was with Skid Row was cool 20 years ago.  Now it isn't.  It's not even cool based on the nostalgia factor.  To me there is no nostalgia there cause basically he will be playing songs from a band he hasn't been in in like I can't even remember when Skid Row fired his ass.  And to me GNR brings zero nostalgia as well cause Axl is the only one left on what used to be a fantastic band.  And don't be fooled here my friend.  Nostalgia is what Axl is trying to sell us here.  I bought in 06.  It was fine and didn't bring me any nostalgia but it was a fun show.  But in 09 or 2010 I'm not buying anymore.  Instead I will be enjoying some quality time with my wife and kid and if I feel nostalgic I'll pop in my Skid Row cd's and old GNR cd's.  But again to each his own.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

And don't be fooled here my friend.  Nostalgia is what Axl is trying to sell us here.

One would think they would mainly be playing Chinese Democracy songs. But then again, the album pretty much flopped so perhaps they figure the audience won't want to hear those songs...which of course means an old GN'R nostalgia-fest like you said.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It'll be AFD Part III.

Bank it.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

It'll be AFD Part III.

Bank it.

It's pretty much the only thing that sells. 16

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

And don't be fooled here my friend.  Nostalgia is what Axl is trying to sell us here.

One would think they would mainly be playing Chinese Democracy songs. But then again, the album pretty much flopped so perhaps they figure the audience won't want to hear those songs...which of course means an old GN'R nostalgia-fest like you said.

Well we'll have to wait and see to know for sure but I think it is a safe bet we'll get a rerun from 06 especially since he's bringing the same opening act.  So me playing the ostrich game is not an option here.  So I'll tell Axl thanks BUT no thanks.

Board footer