You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TSI
 Rep: 2 

Re: TOP HIGHEST ATTENDED, non-festival, ticketed, concerts in U.S.

TSI wrote:

wrestlemania? I was at several of the Illusion tours,in the US & overseas--
whether gnr makes a "list" really isn't important to me--the shows rocked and that is why I go!!

rose22
 Rep: 12 

rose22 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Scratch that...technically they are on the list as they opened for the Stones on those 89 shows, and were a huge draw for ticket buyers. Still doesn't explain the absence of any 91-92 shows.

i'm late to check this thread out but kick ass job james. very interesting. good find bro. although they had metallica and faith no more with them when they played the hoosierdome, i thought that place was like 80,000. maybe not. those are pretty much the biggest names in music so.........

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
russtcb wrote:

U2 still doesn't beat the record held by Wrestle Mania III here in Detroit of 93,173
cool

9 I remember watching WM3 on TV as a kid, god I would have loved to be there in person. Hogan and Andre man.....entertainment or not...at that age that I was...and the way they used to run it all...was the most real exciting moment in my childhood.

Incidently...I'm going to see Hogan v Flair tonight front row ringside!!!

TOTAL LOSS
 Rep: 5 

TOTAL LOSS wrote:
russtcb wrote:

U2 still doesn't beat the record held by Wrestle Mania III here in Detroit of 93,173
cool

There were 78,000 people at Mania III with about 75,000 paid. 93k was a worked number.

kayfabe, brother, kayfabe wink

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

12. U2 - Giants Stadium; East Rutherford, NJ. (Sep, 2009).................................84,472

23. U2 - Giants Stadium; East Rutherford, NJ. (Sep, 2009)...................................77,378
out?

I find these numbers kinda curious as they were back to back nights and both shows sold out immediately.  How is it that one show(likely the 24th) had 7000 more in attendance than the show on  the 23rd when both shows were sold out?

The list of bands on here is pretty crazy.  Not very many that' for sure. Unreal that the Backstreet Boys are on the list

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I dont know about usa but...

There was 75,000 in melbourne Australia in 1993, I know, I was there and it was insanely hot, then wet,  but one of the best days ever. I think the sydney show pulled in very similar numbers too.

Yeah. When they played here in Hungary in 1992, the biggest stadium of the country was almost full. They had a crowd of 60,000 people. That's still one of the best selling shows in my country, I guess it's in the all-time Top 3. 9

When Axl came back in 2006, they played in an arena and had a crowd of 11,000 people. That was still a good number compared to the US shows of that era.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

great thread. I caught GNR in Germany in 1991 when I lived there..75,000 fans and this was before the Illusions albums came out.

Did GNR play some speedway in the US that 100,000 fans came to?

axlgod
 Rep: 16 

axlgod wrote:

75,000 fans at wembley stadium uk 1992, w/ soundgarden & faith no more.
first gig i ever went to, the best, best concert of my life.

how i would die for a proshot of that gig.

Sky Dog wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

great thread. I caught GNR in Germany in 1991 when I lived there..75,000 fans and this was before the Illusions albums came out.

Did GNR play some speedway in the US that 100,000 fans came to?

No, I forgot. They did play at the Birmingham Racetrack and I went to that. There was probably 35,000 to 40,000 people there...standing in the mud. It was right before the St Louis riot and you had to be basically strip searched with metal detectors before going in. There literally was a sense of danger in the air. Damn, that was a fun day!:haha:

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

loads of us showing our age 14

Board footer