You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: TOP HIGHEST ATTENDED, non-festival, ticketed, concerts in U.S.

James wrote:

01. U2 - Rose Bowl; Pasadena, Calif. (Oct, 2009).............................................97,014
02. THE WHO - JFK Stadium; Phil., PA. (Sep 1982).........................................91,451
03. ROLLING STONES - JFK Stadium; Phil., PA. (Sep 1981)...........................90,782
03. ROLLING STONES - JFK Stadium; Phil., PA. (Sep 1981)...........................90,782
05. ROLLING STONES- LA Memorial Coliseum; L.A., CA. (Oct, 1989)...............90,017
05. ROLLING STONES- LA Memorial Coliseum; L.A., CA. (Oct, 1989)...............90,017
09. ROLLING STONES- Superdome; New Orleans, LA. (Dec, 1981)...................87,500
10. U2 - John F. Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia (Sep, 1987)..............................86,145
11. U2 - FedExField; Landover, Md. (Sep, 2009)................................................84,754
12. U2 - Giants Stadium; East Rutherford, NJ. (Sep, 2009).................................84,472
13. JOURNEY - Rose Bowl; Pasadena, CA. (Jul, 1982)......................................83,214
14. THE WHO - LA Memorial Coliseum; L.A, CA. (Oct, 1982).............................83,000
15. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - LA Memorial Coliseum; L.A., CA. (Sep, 1985)........82,973
15. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - LA Memorial Coliseum; L.A., CA. (Sep, 1985)........82,973
15. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - LA Memorial Coliseum; L.A., CA. (Oct, 1985).........82,973
19. PINK FLOYD - JFK Stadium: Phil., PA (Sep, 1987).......................................80,754
20. THE WHO - Rich Stadium; Buffalo, N.Y. (Sep, 1982).....................................80,000
21. ROLLING STONES - Cotton Bowl; Dallas, TX (Nov, 1981)..............................78,000
21. ROLLING STONES - Cotton Bowl; Dallas, TX (Nov, 1981)..............................78,000
23. U2 - Giants Stadium; East Rutherford, NJ. (Sep, 2009)...................................77,378
24. AEROSMITH - Silverdome; Pontiac, Michigan (May, 1976).............................76,900
25. ROLLING STONES - Silverdome; Pontiac, Michigan (Nov, 1981).....................76,348
25. ROLLING STONES - Silverdome; Pontiac, Michigan (Nov, 1981).....................76,348
27. LED ZEPPELIN - Silverdome; Pontiac, Michigan (Apr, 1977)...........................76,229
28. PINK FLOYD - O.S.U. Stadium; Columbus, OH (May, 1994)...........................75,250
29. THE WHO - Silverdome; Pontiac, Mich. (Sep, 1982).......................................75,000
30. ROLLING STONES - Rich Stadium; Buffalo, N.Y. (Sep, 1981).........................75,000
31. ROLLING STONES - Sun Devil Stadium: Tempe, AZ (Dec, 1981).....................74,637
32. FOREIGNER - Anaheim Stadium; Anaheim, CA. (Jul, 1982).............................73,351
33. BACKSTREEET BOYS - Georgia Dome, Atlanta, GA (Feb, 2000).....................73,337
34. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - Orange Bowl; Miami, FL (Sep, 1985)........................73,229
34. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - Orange Bowl; Miami, FL (Sep, 1985)........................73,229

-------------------------

GNR is not on this list and I'll eventually move this to the general music section, but I'm curious as to how GNR did not show up on this list. The old band sold out shows in minutes and played some of these same venues.

Did that huge UYI stage during the 'Get in the Ring' tour cause rows of seats to have to be removed thus lowering attendance even though they sold out?

James

James wrote:

Scratch that...technically they are on the list as they opened for the Stones on those 89 shows, and were a huge draw for ticket buyers. Still doesn't explain the absence of any 91-92 shows.

Sky Dog wrote:

I went to 7 UYI tour shows.....trust me, Gnr was not a stadium act in the US. I was at Columbia, SC for the Metallica/Gnr tour and there was about 50,000 if I recall. However, they were both HUGE at the time and Metallica was easily as big of a draw. At their best, Gnr was a large arena band in the US. The Chapel Hill Dean Dome show I attended in 2003 (I believe) was about 17,000 or 18,000 people. People WAY overblow Gnr's touring popularity in the US....even back then.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I dont know about usa but...

There was 75,000 in melbourne Australia in 1993, I know, I was there and it was insanely hot, then wet,  but one of the best days ever. I think the sydney show pulled in very similar numbers too.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

So looks like basically only The Rolling Stones, U2 and Springsteen fans attend most concerts.

I can't believe the "Backdoor" boys are on the list.

I'm surprised not to see GNR on the list, I would have thought they would have easily been top 20.

James

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

I went to 7 UYI tour shows.....trust me, Gnr was not a stadium act in the US. I was at Columbia, SC for the Metallica/Gnr tour and there was about 50,000 if I recall. However, they were both HUGE at the time and Metallica was easily as big of a draw. At their best, Gnr was a large arena band in the US. The Chapel Hill Dean Dome show I attended in 2003 (I believe) was about 17,000 or 18,000 people. People WAY overblow Gnr's touring popularity in the US....even back then.

I know they were an arena band back then. You're not the only spring chicken here past its expiration date. wink

However, they did perform at some of the venues on this list. Most of the stadiums GNR performed at were overseas, but they did play some here.

James

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

I went to 7 UYI tour shows...

Damn you. 16 I only went to one. Should have went to Arco as well but passed. A HUGE regret.

Too bad you couldn't have tracked me down back then. Walked up to me and said.....

"Hey, I'm Madagas. In approximately 12 years, you and I are gonna bitch back and forth for years on this thing called the internet. Care to join me for seven GNR shows? I'll pick up the tab."

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I dont know about usa but...

There was 75,000 in melbourne Australia in 1993, I know, I was there and it was insanely hot, then wet,  but one of the best days ever. I think the sydney show pulled in very similar numbers too.

Yep, the Sydney show at Eastern Creek Raceway in 1993 was the largest outdoor concert ever staged in Australia at the time, something ridiculous like 80,000 people or something. Wish I was there, I'm still kicking myself to this day that I missed that gig!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
madagas wrote:

I went to 7 UYI tour shows...

Damn you. 16 I only went to one. Should have went to Arco as well but passed. A HUGE regret.

Too bad you couldn't have tracked me down back then. Walked up to me and said.....

"Hey, I'm Madagas. In approximately 12 years, you and I are gonna bitch back and forth for years on this thing called the internet. Care to join me for seven GNR shows? I'll pick up the tab."

Scary thing is I was at a Forum/LA show so I was in the state and definetely would have bought plenty of alcohol. My buddy got married in Lone Pine, Ca that weekend so I went to the wedding and promptly bolted for LA in the middle of the night to go see the show. Drunk....in the parking lot hanging with two Metallica fans drinking straight vodka. All my buddies are at the rehearsal dinner. Guns come on at 12 play till close to 3 then I have to drive back through the desert at 4am....hammered and 3000 miles from home. Finally make it back about 6am to Lone Pine. My boys are just about to get up for a noon wedding. Needless to say......I crashed for 2 hours then jumped back on the horse.:beer:

Board footer