You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: The NHL 2007-08 Season Thread

It was. I didn't understand a fair share of the reffing (Afinegenov's roughing, for instance), and the boards behind the net seemed like a fucking trampoline, but it was a somewhat enjoyable game.

I don't get why Kaleta and Peters are scratched on a road stretch either. Sabres need a fight I think. 3-4 isn't good enough for the talent in place here.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

haha i figured BS would chime in on that one 16

as for the leafs.... :sick: another 2 goal third period lead blown 17

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I cannot believe how big a bunch of goons and idiot bullies the Flyers are. Jones deserves 25 games imo, that is just not acceptable.

If/when the punishment is handed down, it would be the third Flyer this year to get slapped with a large suspension for that type of cheap, dirty shit. If it happens again I'd suspend their coach for a few weeks too.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

They're not going to suspend the coach "for a few weeks"

I'm not a huge hockey  fan, but I agree this is out of hand. Something should be looked into. The weird thing is this is the first years in decades (pretty much ever) that the Flyers went away from the big muckers & grinders type players & went small & with speed. Finally giving in to the new style of hockey.

Once is an incident, twice is a trend, but three times is a pattern. I think the NHL should warn them & once more they lose a decent draft pick (2nd or 3rd rd).

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

There's no way they can penalize the team like that.  Something has to be done there.  The team and coach could be fined or something, but other than that, that's all that will happen.  It's weird that this is the only team that's like this.  My theory is that this is a team that Bob Clarke built (he was there for so long) and his impact is still there.  Many of the players were either drafted by Clarke or he traded for them.  Since he's probably the dirtiest player to ever play the game, it's no surprise that his product consists of these types of players.

I just think it's funny that the same head shots that Flyers fans cried foul over when Lindros was pummeled are the same ones that they're complaining about being penalized for.  You can't have it both ways.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Backslash wrote:

I just think it's funny that the same head shots that Flyers fans cried foul over when Lindros was pummeled are the same ones that they're complaining about being penalized for.  You can't have it both ways.

Actually "most' people around here agree they have been dirty hits. As for Clarke, in years past yes. He recruited players like that (I think we were the last NHL team to eventually have a Russian. It was only a couple years ago, he refused to sign them & that style of play). But he was fired last season, and now is only part of the team in title only (VP of Operations or something). Paul Holmgren is GM & rebuilt this seasons team with alot of turnover.

As for penalties, I don't believe in fining teams or coaches. It doesn't do much. You'd have to fine a coach like several hundred grand or the team a few million for it to have an impact. Which they'd never do. $25,000 doesn't do anything. Withhold their draft picks. You're right though, they'd never do it, but I think it would have a better impact than a measely fine.

Yeah, that was a cheap shot on Lindros, but legal. Sucks that it basically ended his career.  He was never the same player again.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

As for Clarke, in years past yes. He recruited players like that (I think we were the last NHL team to eventually have a Russian. It was only a couple years ago, he refused to sign them & that style of play). But he was fired last season, and now is only part of the team in title only (VP of Operations or something).

The point I was making though, is that Clarke's preference for dirty players is still having its impact, whether or not he's still GM.  He was GM when each of these three players were drafted.  It doesn't come as a shocker that he was even more excited to have Boulerice in his system when he was charged with assault after an on-ice incident.  Basically, Clarke built the bones of this team to reflect the team he was a part of 35 years ago.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Backslash wrote:

Basically, Clarke built the bones of this team to reflect the team he was a part of 35 years ago.

Sadly, what Bob Clarke doesn't realize is they haven't won a Stanley Cup in almost 35 years either 16 16  Too bad he couldn't put 2+2 together & figure out the game has changed since then. 22

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Lindros to Announce Retirement

The Associated Press

TORONTO -- Eric Lindros is expected to announce his retirement Thursday after 13 seasons in the NHL, according to a report.

The 34-year-old forward played for the Dallas Stars last season and became an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. He had 372 goals and 493 assists in 760 games for Philadelphia, Toronto, the New York Rangers and Dallas.

Lindros is expected to announce his decision at a press conference in his hometown of London, Ontario, according to The Canadian Press wire service, which cited an anonymous source.

Lindros won the Hart Trophy in 1995 and was part of the Canadian Olympic team that won gold in 2002, but he also battled injuries throughout his career.

Lindros was regarded as the NHL's next big star when he entered the league but he got off to a rough start after he refused to play for the Quebec Nordiques, the team that drafted him first overall in the 1991 draft.

The Nordiques traded his rights to Philadelphia a year later and Lindros flourished with the Flyers, winning the MVP award in 1995 and scoring 40-plus goals in three of his first four years.

He was traded to the Rangers in 2001 after clashing with Philadelphia general manager Bob Clarke and other Flyers officials, largely because he questioned the medical treatment he received while with Philadelphia.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of curiousity, who do you feel was the best hockey player of his age group (@33-36)??  I ask because being from Philadelphia I rooted for him, and saw what he did and felt he was best. I think in the 90's he was up there, but then he really fell apart. Although, it seems alot from his era did. By his era, I'm saying players like Federov, Teemu Selaane, Shanahan, Keith Primeau, Jagr, Sakic & Forsberg.  If there's someone else I'm missing please mention him. Honestly I'd say Brodeur too, but I'm trying to exclude goalies.  I'm not a huge hockey fan, and am curious to know your opinions.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

forsberg...imo

Board footer