You are not logged in. Please register or login.

2008 Intentions
 Rep: 6 

Re: How does Oh My God stand up to the CD material?

OMG could be in CD II without any question, its a great song.

Jarmo lost her Ipod, new leaks coming...lol

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ I'm a bit lost. Even if Jarmo had songs other people don't...wouldn't that mean that whoever finds the ipod had to know this is the case, and then be the type of person who cares enough to share them....so like unless the person who finds is ipod is a hardcore forum geek or other hardcore GNR fan...and even then there's the potential that they may not share.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

Oh My God is to Chinese Democracy as to what My World was to UYI II.

I like some aspects of it (writing, energy) but the pieces just don't fit together in order to make a great song.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ I'm actually a huge fan of My World! Although i'll grant it's somewhat alone in the current GNR catalogue in terms of it's style. But I really like the random grouping together of various thoughts and ideas in it. It seems like a real insight into what Axl was thinking at the time...maybe it isn't really..but it was always eye opening back in the day.

As for OMG "standing up" to CD...I really like Scraped and the songs people think it shows up more than it. Chinese is a very under-rated album to me. But I also like omg.  I think a modern version of OMG - with some tinkering and maybe a bumble addition would be on par with Chinese Democracy.

As for the 1999 OMG the lryics kick major ass but the guitars are not really working for me. But that's just me.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

I love OMG. Really, really, do. The only frustration is the end result of the mix. I don't know what to adjust, but it seems so squished and mashed down. One of the reasons I wished he continued to perform it live.

OMG was what I kept on repeat in 2003 after missing the 2002 Chicago show! It was a light of hope for me before we had that crappy recording of IRS.

Rex

Rex wrote:

Bucket kills on this live.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Quote from: yorch on Today at 12:07:05
I love Oh my God, but it really sounds like a demo, why? I'm sure we all would love a new version.

Because that's all it was, only at the time having just got it together only Jimmy Iovine knew that who wanted it to sell their soundtrack. I saw segments of the movie which were good. As a whole later not so much but it wasn't ready yet then. I did write an experimental piece inspired by the bits I'd seen called "Daddy Can the Devil do Mommy and me?"

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Rex wrote:

14 He spends half the song doing his robot dance.....

Rex

Rex wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Rex wrote:

14 He spends half the song doing his robot dance.....

Listen at about 2:43!

Board footer