You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Re: Shooter Jennings

Furbush wrote:

I've just finished listening to this record from front to back for the 8th time in 4 days... And I must say:

It. Is. Amazing.

I kinda dug Stargunn ( his wanna-be GnR rock band) and loved Put The O Back In Country... after that, he put out two mediocre wanna-be Waylon records that had maybe one solid record between them....

But now, he's kinda chosen to abandon the country music scene altogether. I always felt that his music was more rock, anyway... the country aspect seemed a little forced.... But this? Jesus H. Christ. I'm probably gonna write a review of this bad boy in the next couple of days...  I'll warn y'all: It's not for everyone. there is a HEAVY political theme throughout that may throw some people off.

I have no words to describe this monster... But I did find a fitting description: "Sort of Pink Floyd go on tour with Nine Inch Nails and they all drop acid together at a beer-and-BBQ joint in West Texas.".. And then write a concept album...Narrated by Stephen King....

It's nothing particularly groundbreaking... but brilliant nonetheless...

open your minds... turn all the lights off and listen to this entire album with GOOD headphones, and let it seep into your soul

"wake up"

the video for "summer of rage"....
http://polizeros.com/2010/03/05/summer- … ierophant/

You can listen to the whole thing here: http://www.spinner.com/new-releases#/8

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Bro. I've been waiting for this. Love Shooter. Listening now.

I thought his second album was actually quite good. I am a Waylon fan and I can hear the influence but you have to expect it. But he has his father's will power and making this record is his way of showing it. I like the theme he went with cause it rings true in aspects for everyone. Some a little more than others but he is speaking of truths. I hope this hits big with younger people cause of the themes and the music. He threw a bunch of shit in a pot and cooked up some good stu.

Furbush

Furbush wrote:

After a week of black ribbons, i decided to revisit Electric Rodeo and The Wolf.... Not really BAD.... But now I remember what originally turned me off:

"Gone To Carolina"...
Listen to that song instrumentally and sing "Wanted, Dead Or Alive" by Bon Jovi along with it. Musically it's a complete fucking rip off....
After I heard that I was pissed, and Shooter was "dead to me".
He's MORE than made up for it with this one...

Huge Waylon fan here too, bro.... My old man used to get all tanked up and blare Waylon all night long when I was a kid...

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:

Yeah I dig about half of the second album.. Hair of the Dog, Song is slipping away, and Aviators few off the top of my head. But I can see the Gone to Carolina thing.

Really diggin' Black Ribbons though.

Furbush

Furbush wrote:

I've been virtually fucking obsessed with it all week, man....

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:

Since you showed me the link I've been hooked too. I've been waiting for this I knew about the concept and ideas behind it and was interested in hearing the final. I am gonna go buy it today. Fuckin great shit.. Really brings back the idea of the CONCEPT album and using this subject matter cause it hits home could spark something.

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:

My thoughts on some of the songs.. I'll post the rest later

The song "Black Ribbons" is I think the one song Shooter has written that can stand anywhere next to his dad's legacy. Maybe it's just me and what I have been through personally lately but this song is something special. How this won't be a hit on country radio will be something interesting too see. This is the only song that can be classified under the country banner.

"The Breaking Point"  This song is Shooter Jennings meets Black Label Society's Hangover Music meets Country the way Shooter does it. With a few effects thrown in for good measure.

"Wake Up" is the perfect opening to this album. Got that retro Floyd sound but you can just feel the southern power creeping and creeping into centerstage with that heavy muddy riff that follows suit with a Sabbathness.  Then the lyrics.. I love it. I love the whole concept of the album and this is the perfect wake up call and opening to the concept itself within the album.

"Summer of Rage" Has the Floydish intro and beat. Another strong lyric by him. He may not write the prettiest but he gives you a clear image. "Hush hush little child, you world is goin' round, cant trust nothing but the love in your mothers eyes" Fucking brilliant.

"The Illuminated" That is pure Sabbath riffage. It actually resembles one of their songs. But I dig this one too. "Smell of the pine tress and bodies at our feet" Is their a little autotune action as well?

"Lights in the Sky" Is groovy and real psychedelic and I dig it. Some nice guitar soloing near the end of this one too.

"All this Could Have Been Yours" another solid song.

"When the Radio Goes Dead" Love the solo acoustic opening before the song starts too pick up. Love where the songs goes at around 2:10 the melody change then it goes back is really cool and pulled off nicely. The it's brought back to end the song.

"Everything else is Illusion" I get a little Revolution by the Beatles melody going on when Shooter sings startiing around 1:28. But other than that this could be an easy hit on rock radio.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

I picked this up today.  I've only had the chance for one listen, but totally agree with what I need to do now is sit in the dark with the headphones on and really absorb the mother.

Furbush

Furbush wrote:

whew..
I was beginning to think most everyone was ignoring the thread. That would be a shame.  So far, this album is my front runner for the year... it's gonna take a whopper of a record to knock this one down. I cannot say enough good things about it. The "Official" review is coming tomorrow....

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:

I was waiting for jorge to post in here. I know he's a fan. It is a really good record for anyone lurking. I see you.

In one King's broadcasts he says "There are guns instead of Roses" 16

Board footer