You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Musical Instruments Thread

Neemo wrote:

so someone asked me to join their band and play Bass.... 18 what sice of amp is good for gigging?

does Peavey make an OK bass amp? i remember way back that their guitar amps kinda sucked

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Hope someone who is more of an expert can tell you.

Proabably depends on the live music culture over there. For example here in melbourne there's kind of two types of places to play. The places that still allow full bands - which tend to be fucking loud - so as lead guitarist you'd want a 100w stack or half stack. Then all these other venues that have gone semi accoustic as the noise pisses off people, and then these hybrids where they allow electric but tell u to silence it...in which case something like a 40w or 60w amp will be easier to overdrive to get tone without pissing off the venue.

Anyway...you are talking about bass, so that's probably not relevent, but I'm just saying some of the likely venues you play have an impact. Another thing too is the type of band. If it's like a metal band you'd prob need a louder unit to be heard over the guitars than if it'a a more causal outfit.

Anyway...I should probably let someone who knows more about this stuff reply.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

yeah its gonna be like old school blues (and swing blues) stuff (50s-60s ... maybe early 70s) but hey otsa bit of extra $$$ for playin music so wtf right?

found a 75W peavey amp for pretty cheap so i think i may just grab it...i mean for $60 unless its real rough shape its a problay a good deal...my bro has a washburn bass that he said i could borrow...now it will just be a matter of getting used to the Bass again...i talked to one of the guitarists and he said it should be ok and they can mic me if its a bit quiet

i'll obviuously plug the amp in and play with it before i commit

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

upgraded my Amp situation today

traded in my Line 6 30 for a Marshall MG50FX

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

yeah i just went up one step i think i paid like $100 to upgrade from a 30w to a 50w...its cuz when i jammed with a band that the amp wasnt loud enough to be heard over the drums and aparently the 50 will give me enough power to be heard

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

got a chance to plug in and play a bit more extensively on the Marshall MG50FX at home last night...you know at the guitar shop you cant jsut go crazy..but damn the quality of the sound on the marshall kills the line 6 Spider II that i had...i had this problem where i was playing tunes and when you picked the higher notes after hitting a power shord or whatever i found that the mids rang out over the picking and they got really muddy if not totally drowned out...this marshall has the ability to differentiate the sounds coming from the guitar...also its fucking loud compared to my old 30w ... at 2 1/2 my family was already deciding to play outside 9 also i was told that a 50w amp should be able to be heard over a drum kit...so i have yet to test that theory

i guess the drawback is that there was more options on the line 6 but hey this marshall still has reverb, delay (delay on the marshall owns the line 6 btw) chorus reverb and flanger which is still more than i will ever need ... and the clean tone on the marshall is really cool...no matter how hard i tried on the spider i just couldnt get the clean clean tone...now i can! big_smile also while i have a foot switch still...i did lose the option of the volume/wah pedal that i had onthe line 6 fbv express board....oh well i was never able to master the wah anyway...if i get a hankering maybe i'll just invest in a crybaby or something wink when i played my buddy's fender frontman 50 amp at my brothers wedding i thought that was a cool amp...i like this marshall jsut as much or more so far...imo this amp is getting a bad rap in the review dept @ ultimate guitar and the like

i know that a combo amp is usually frowned upon in the music community but its all ive ever known.. maybe when i win the lottery i can splurge on a tube amp head and 2 4x12 cabinets and a gibson LP standard and see what the hub-ub is all about 16

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

learned bad moon risin' by CCR last night 9

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Neemo wrote:

learned bad moon risin' by CCR last night 9

Great! Been thinking about learning that, too.

and now for some completely different good news:

I've bought a 12-string acoustic! 3 I really like 12-string guitars, had a cheap, old one, but I wanted a better instrument. It's a 30-year old Yamaha, FG 512-II. Very easy to play, like it'd be a 6-string, has a strong sound that fills the room. I really, really like it. Time to finish my internet surfing and play some guitar! 9

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

That's a GREAT tune to learn. Congrats!

Board footer