You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Gareth Rhodes Gn'R project New Video: Madagascar & Prostitute

Neemo wrote:

welcome to the forum axl77....you're pretty good smile

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
axl77 wrote:

Bono,i don't know who you are but i'd just like to thank you for taking the time try and help me reach out to GNR fans across the world with my acoustic GNR project.So far,its been the most amazing response and for the most part positive,encouraging and enjoyable however there's always people that arent going to,for whatever reason like what im doing with these cherished songs.I accepted that when i started it.What is encouraging to me though is for the most part, the people who seem against these seem to be blinkered GNR fans who think that the only musical style that should exist in the world is GNR type hard rock (im happy to upset idiots like that btw) and those who think these songs lack the bite and attitude of the originals and to the latter id say, yes, they do but really, that doesnt bother me because ,its like calling a banana yellow. Its supposed to be. These are acoustic renditions. Im thinking a lot of people using these boards might not remember the show MTV unplugged, bands doing stripped down versions of classic tunes, offering new insight in to the structure of the songs and seeing how,as an experiment as songs stands up when played in a different way. Im happy to say, most people,you included (this board as an exception) have been open minded about the music and have seen what im trying to achieve. Doing these covers isnt in any way lazy as one poster amusingly put it, its like trying to climb Everest!!!

I just think your time would be better spent doing GN'R-inspired original music. Anytime you do a cover, or sequels for the film world, you're gonna get a million people all with different opinions on how they could make it better, and most, if not all of them, are wrong, because it'll never be the original.

And welcome to the forum...

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I just think your time would be better spent doing GN'R-inspired original music. Anytime you do a cover, or sequels for the film world, you're gonna get a million people all with different opinions on how they could make it better, and most, if not all of them, are wrong, because it'll never be the original.

And welcome to the forum...

Axlin08 you might as well say people everywhere in the world should just stop doing covers for the rest of eternity. Axl77 actually does do his own original material you just gotta check out his youtube page to know that. In my opinion this is just a  Gn'R fan doing something fun. I'll never understand why people say things that suggest people shouldn't even bother with covers. I'll never understand people's view point that it 's sacralige to do so. Bugs the shit out me when U2 fans say this stuff as well. Like honestly who cares. Covers do nothing to taint the originals and sometimes you get some interesting takes on songs. Sometimes they suck but again it does nothing to taint the originals.If people can appreciate a tribute abnd for what it is.... FUN,  then why not be able to appreciate this  for what it is as well.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

It's personal within me, but not towards the artist themselves attempting it. I've always had mixed feelings on covers. hmm

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
axl77 wrote:

Bono,i don't know who you are but i'd just like to thank you for taking the time try and help me reach out to GNR fans across the world with my acoustic GNR project.So far,its been the most amazing response and for the most part positive,encouraging and enjoyable however there's always people that arent going to,for whatever reason like what im doing with these cherished songs.I accepted that when i started it.What is encouraging to me though is for the most part, the people who seem against these seem to be blinkered GNR fans who think that the only musical style that should exist in the world is GNR type hard rock (im happy to upset idiots like that btw) and those who think these songs lack the bite and attitude of the originals and to the latter id say, yes, they do but really, that doesnt bother me because ,its like calling a banana yellow. Its supposed to be. These are acoustic renditions. Im thinking a lot of people using these boards might not remember the show MTV unplugged, bands doing stripped down versions of classic tunes, offering new insight in to the structure of the songs and seeing how,as an experiment as songs stands up when played in a different way. Im happy to say, most people,you included (this board as an exception) have been open minded about the music and have seen what im trying to achieve. Doing these covers isnt in any way lazy as one poster amusingly put it, its like trying to climb Everest!!!

I dig your voice!

I've linked your vidoes on my FB-page a couple of times.

Keep it up, man! 22

But I gotta put on my die-hard-gnr-fan-hat and say: Please get the lyrics correct!

Bono

Bono wrote:

A few new ones for ya. Pretty sweet actually. Great version of November Rain.  He's got a killer voice especially at the end of Rocket Queen and the ending of TWAT is unreal.

[youtube]-QWmwf_0iP0&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]pYt9VgfPGOs&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]
[youtube]JK4e02BV9lo&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]
[youtube]GuUyA6AoPKM&feature=related[/youtube]

Hopefully jamester and others don't lose their minds about this being in here. Just move it someone if it's ruining your life.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Anybody remember when the old shows in the 80's would license cover versions of popular songs at the time? Miami Vice used the real ones, but Knight Rider, Airwolf, Hunter & The A-Team would all do the cover versions.

They always sounded close to the original, but not quite there, or as inspired.

That's what this Gareth Rhodes dude sounds like. Dust N' Bones had it been on 21 Jump Street.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Just giving a thumbs up to this Gareth rhodes guy.

The good thing about a good cover like this is that it really makes you appriciate the beauty of the melodies and original music more too.

Like listening to GNR it's easy to get distracted by Axl's unique tone or the Aweome guitar solos and stuff. Which i love dearly and wouldn't change for a second. But listening to these you get a real feel for how the song is just beautiful at a basic level even when divorsed from the GNRness.

Nice arrangment and peformance too. So cheers to Gareth and Cheers to Axl and the others as well.

Bono

Bono wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Doesn't matter to me where it's posted, it's just not all that impressive to me personally.

Axlin08 wrote:

Anybody remember when the old shows in the 80's would license cover versions of popular songs at the time? Miami Vice used the real ones, but Knight Rider, Airwolf, Hunter & The A-Team would all do the cover versions.

They always sounded close to the original, but not quite there, or as inspired.

That's what this Gareth Rhodes dude sounds like. Dust N' Bones had it been on 21 Jump Street.

Seriously you guys?  You both act so bored and unimpressed with this but honestly have you heard a better acoustic version of November Rain than this? If so please post it. And you can't tell me that's not an awesome effort for Rocket Queen.

And Axlin of course they aren't as inspired as the originals. They're covers 16 And aside from D&B they are acoustic covers so what'ya expect? A Buckethead-esque solo in TWAT?

Like Monkey said it really show cases the song writing ability of Axl and others who wrote the originals.

Honestly if this was some dude you guys saw in a  bar on open mic night or something you'd be like "wow that was fucking really good" but since it's a guy on youtube it's boring and lame. Please roll  I'm not saying you have to be blown away by it but don't act hollier than thou about it.  Like doing Gn'R covers is blasphemy or something.  I honestly think you guys are missing the point here that they are covers not originals wink

Board footer