You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Universal to Cut All CD Prices to Below $10

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I buy CDs just cos most of the legal download sites arn't lossless. So i usually buy a physical CD then rip it to itunes lossless. The day itunes or someone similar releases downloads in full-cd audio quality (or above) i'll no longer need the physical products...(even though it's fun to have the case+slick)...but i just refuse to have less audio quality just because it's an online purchase...there's plenty of HDD space these days...no need to compress to hell.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

CD's won't ever completely go away, because like LP's, there will always been a few hardcores that want a physical copy.

My guess is what will eventually happen is everything will go Music Download, and the artists themselves will independently offer CD's on their website and/or concert shows, as a Limited Edition, at a higher price.

I'm not an audiophobe or whatever or anything, but I like having the actual album for my favorite bands to physically have it, as well as have the album cover, read the inserts etc.. It's why I bought CD.  Like alot of people here... I mean... I was on Pirate Bay one night & happened to see CD available while I was looking for some new, unsigned, non-copyright protected indie artisits..... so I downloaded a copy of it and immediately deleted the file after the first listen.... but that aside, I still wanted and did buy it. Why?  I dunno. A large part was I waited nearly 17 years to buy a Guns N Roses album again, but also to have the real cover album, the real painted cd, the sleeve for reading & viewing. Things like that. I think some people do like having the cd. And I know alot of people my age and older just plain old don't know how to burn a cd. So there will always be a market for real cd's as opposed to mp3's. For at least 10 years I'd say. Although, the only main outlet for them might soon become the bands website & Amazon as retail stores will soon carry less & less.

As for releasing mp3's thru bands websites, it's certainly going to be interesting the next 5 years or so. I think not only will that become common for large bands like Foo Fighters, MEtallica once they meet their current recording contracts, but also television. I think TV Producers might soon realize they an bypass the politics & corporate business & greed of cable channels & companies, and distribute directly to the viewers via the web. Now, it's going to take more then silly "webisodes" on youtube to get the ball rolling on it, but if a show was created by the producers or writers of a show like Lost or The Office or CSI (even if it isn't the main writers of the show) I think it could garner a small following. Which would kindof be the start of it all.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Saikin wrote:

This would have helped the actual record stores about a fucking decade ago.

Exactly!

Too little, too late now!

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Saikin wrote:

This would have helped the actual record stores about a fucking decade ago.

Yep. It's just the record labels showing us that they STILL haven't learned their lesson. They've always treated the consumer as uneducated which is part of the reason why the consumer shoved it right up their ass as soon as they were given a chance.

Now the great and powerful Oz has come out from behind the curtain to lower CD prices to below $10! Unfortunately, Dorthy and the rest of the crew were yelling and complaining to Oz to do so 10 years ago and have long since eased on down the road listening to their illegal downloads. Oz has no audience to make his grand announcement to.

It really shows just how out of touch with reality this industry is.  They have failed every step of the way to keep up with this market, one that is in a constant state of change, and not just by the normal forces that they evaluate, but the entire structure keeps changing. 

They're the lone tower trying to stand in the desert while all the sand around them is constantly shifting and changing.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

I guess I am one of the crazy ones that prefer to have an album in physical form rather than a digital format. I only download albums to decide whether I enjoy it. If I do, I buy the physical copy. If not it gets deleted. Although my CD buying has been way down the past year or so. I never  go to an actual store when I want to buy a CD though. I typically purchase from Amazon.com, but that's also because I  usually have Amazon GC's to burn.

Lower prices is surely welcome, but as everyone said it's too little too late. I like how they wait until after the industry is dead to lower  prices.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

It won't help them much but I still buy CDs so it's good for me, I guess.

Board footer