You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Paradise City Pulled from Slash's Solo Album

monkeychow wrote:

Hey all. Got this in my email this morning:

Thank you for pre-ordering Classic Rock Presents Slash.

Due to legal reasons, Paradise City feat. Cypress Hill and Fergie has had to be withdrawn from this limited edition deluxe version of the Slash album. Fans should note that a brand new track, 'Back From Cali' has now been added (feat. Myles Kennedy) and that the exclusive 'Baby Can't Drive', (feat. Alice Cooper & Nicole Scherzinger) still remains. The Slash Fan Pack still contains an exclusive 132 page deluxe magazine, a woven Slash patch and a giant fold out poster.
    Slash Fan Pack

The Slash Fan Pack will be on sale April 7th.

The tracklisting for the Classic Rock deluxe format of the 'Slash' album includes:

1. Ghost (feat. Ian Astbury)
   2. Crucify The Dead (feat. Ozzy)
   3. Beautiful Dangerous (feat. Fergie)
   4. Back From Cali (feat. Myles Kennedy)
   5. Promise (feat. Chris Cornell)
   6. By The Sword (feat. Andrew Stockdale)
   7. Gotten (feat. Adam Levine)
   8. Doctor Alibi (feat. Lemmy Kilmeister)
   9. Watch This (feat. Dave Grohl/Duff McKagan)
  10. I Hold On (feat. Kid Rock)
  11. Nothing To Say (feat. M Shadows)
  12. Starlight (feat. Myles Kennedy)
  13. Saint Is A Sinner Too (feat. Rocco De Luca)
  14. We're All Gonna Die (feat. Iggy Pop)

15. Bonus Track: Baby Can't Drive (feat. Alice Cooper/Nicole Scherzinger)

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and rest assured your copy of the Slash Fan Pack will be on its way to you from 7th April.

The MyFavouriteMagazines Team

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

Good.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Yeah when I read my I email I also thought it was great!!!  I'll take a new song over the Paradise City shit any day!

So do we speculate and say the legal reasons are GN'R/Axl related?

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

If Axl stopped it, good for him. The remake was completely unnecessary and pretty bad to boot.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

The thing is despite the spin I dont think it has a new song extra.

I think that new song was ALREADY added to the album at the last minute. Like it will be on the standard version. So I think all that's happening here is that the special version would have had PC + the Alice Song, and now it just has Alice.

I was trying to think of potential legal complications. What I came up with so far (possible, not necessarily true):

1. Fergie + Cyprus Hill are signed to a record label of some kind. This may not be slash's label. Therefore for them to appear on slash's label they have to get a courtsey release from their own label. For some reason the label may have denied this. Although it would be unusual as most of them have an approve anything policy - in a "you scratch my itch, i scratch yours" way - as they'll need to ask the same of someone else at some stage. If it was this, it's unlikely to be fergie has her solo track isn't pulled. So would have to be some problem with Cyprus Hill.

2. Axl called the president and the IRS. While you can get a statutory license to peform a cover, you need permission from the copyright holder to peform an adaption. If you want to start legal shit you could try and argue that the rap version constitutes an illegal adaption of the song. I'd disagree...but given there is no money in records. I suspect if someone wanted to take you to court on that it would be easier to dump the song on the threat than get into a fight over it.

3. As above except it's quite possibly the work of Axl's publisher who may not like it for some reason, he may not even have been consulted given they own his rights for the duration of that deal he made. Depends on the specific contract that we dont have.

4. Some kind of distribution deal. Maybe the sahara single was ment to be exclusive to japan or whatever. It's possible some kind of contract exists with someone that made the single special, and then harvesting the bonus tracks from the single for the album afterall just wasn't acceptable under the original contract.

So that's my ideas. May all be utter bullshit. Anyone got anything else?

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

The Rock Gods still love us.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

hehe...seems i'm the only one that's a little disapointed. I dug that cover and fergie hitting those notes.

I have an mp3 but i'd like it in lossless and figured this would be an easy way to achieve that given i'm getting the album anyway...maybe I'll have to source out the Sahara Single....but that's like $22USD+shipping to Australia...from amazon.

Don't supose anyone knows a cheap place to get CD singles? (or lossless downloads), i've become fussy about bitrate etc.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

If it was Axl that somehow caused legal problems regarding it then I have to say I don't really blame him.  I presume he is just squaring up the ledger to some degree by giving Slash a taste of his own medicine.

Hmm is that right that the Back to Cali was already being thrown in.  That sucks, he should put something else in then too.  I'm sure he has heaps of shit he could throw in there.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

PC is as much the rest of the bands material as it is Axls...its only his strangle neck hold over the name that gives him any power whatsoever.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

The song sucked but if Axl had anything to do with it being removed it's a douchebag move even though the album will be better off without it.

Board footer