You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Slash album reviews

buzzsaw wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

Size of venues/stadiums and number of people in attendence during the last DECADE speaks volumes of who was the most important part of the original band. There is no desputing that fact! Everything else is just personal preferences!

Good Point

I agree, though I'm not sure it makes the point he intended it to make.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

Size of venues/stadiums and number of people in attendence during the last DECADE speaks volumes of who was the most important part of the original band. There is no desputing that fact! Everything else is just personal preferences!

Good Point

Yeah, I thought making money was bad, Kristoffer?

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

Good Point

This is a good point.

Sky Dog wrote:

I am missing the point altogether...is someone saying Slash is a bigger concert draw than Axl/new Gnr? neutral

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
madagas wrote:

I am missing the point altogether...is someone saying Slash is a bigger concert draw than Axl/new Gnr? neutral

I think we're saying that despite the fact that he kept the name Axl's still playing for half-empty venues in the US. At least, that's what I would be saying if I were taking part in the discussion...

@Naltav: There's two different meanings to selling out that you can object to. I'm not too fond of an artist throwing away their artistic integrity myself, if that means that said artist only or mainly puts out unlistenable crap that is designed to attack the charts without being based on something the artist actually likes. I'm against artists performing/writing/releasing songs they don't actually like or can get behind.
(although things are slightly different in a band situation obviously. I don't really think Slash was selling out when he played SCOM live all those years, despite him not liking the song.) For instance, Robbie Williams doing boyband-type stuff in Take That when he was in fact mocking the music, I would consider that selling out and no sir, I don't like it. I don't know for sure, but I don't think you can say Slash has ever done anything like that. Yes, this means that I think he actually likes Blackstreet & Cypres Hill.

However, earning money by doing cheesy commercials to cash in on the image and respect that you've built up over the years, leveraging your artistry to make a (very decent) living, ... that I don't have a problem with. As a matter of fact, I'd be inclined to think you're a dumb ass motherfucker if you don't do those things. That'd be like stumbling upon a beautiful vineyard filled with the juiciest grapes and not eating some 'cause that's not what you set out to do in the first place... (excuse the odd analogy, this one might work better in my native language wink ).

Either way, if VW commercials and silly Guitar Hero/Bill Gates appearances help him foot the bill for things like his solo album (or a new car, Malibu house or whatever,... ), I'm all for it!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

If Axl didn't care about money, he would've had the BALLS to continue on as a solo artist, without hiding behind the Guns N' Roses brand name.

So when someone says, "he doesn't care about money", bullshit, or otherwise he would've never did the business manuevering to acquire the brand name.

Sky Dog wrote:

The name issue is all about money and it pays off big time with overseas concerts like the SA shows, the Asian shows, European Festivals, merchandising, etc. Outside of Gnr, Slash hasn't come close to making touring money like that...even with VR.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

another nosensical deabte of old vs. new

do you guys really think that if slash mantained the gnr name and axl went solo that slash's gnr would be doing equal or better in terms of touring?

get serious.

to be honest i'm amazed how much draw axl still brings, alone. we can't keep hiding behind the notion that people are being fooled in to going to the shows. honestly, if you like gnr enough to go to a show in 2010 and don't know that slash and duff are not in the band you probably don't care to begin with.

moral views and opinions on the gnr name aside

This is the axl rose show.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
war wrote:

another nosensical deabte of old vs. new

do you guys really think that if slash mantained the gnr name and axl went solo that slash's gnr would be doing equal or better in terms of touring?

Absolutely - as long as they had a singer that could sing the songs, there would be little to no difference.  To suggest otherwise is foolish at best and every bit as much speculation as claiming there would be a difference.  You don't know, you just think you know. 

Slash did pretty well for himself without the band name to draw people.  If Axl would have put half of the effort into promoting his work as Slash does, THEN you MIGHT be able to make that claim.  As it stands, I think you can make a case that with a Myles type singer (see the SCOM and Civil War videos) and the effort Slash would have done to promote it, I think he could have made a MORE successful version of GnR with Duff and Matt.  I can't prove this anymore than you can prove your case, but there is some merit to it.

I will agree with you on one point though: the new band is the Axl Rose show.  Few will argue against that.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
Gong wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

Good Point

Yeah, I thought making money was bad, Kristoffer?

You thought making money was bad? Who said that? That's just silly, isn't it? smile

If you don't make money you'd end up a homeless bum...

But there are different ways of making money. And if you're a celebrity/artist, there surely are countless ways of making money. Some do it the easy way and jump on every other offer that comes their way and some don't.

If Axl's only intention in keeping the bandname was to cash in on the many opportunities that comes with it, we would for sure have seen/heard a lot more GNR songs in movies, commercials, etc etc etc

He may have chosen a harder route in managing the GNR brandname, but in my view he is left with more artistic integrity.

Board footer